So many questions about mfp!

Options
So I've started doing mfp in the last few weeks and have steadily lost weight, I think I've begun to hit a plateau but am unsure why. MFP says it is because I'm not eating enough calories. My daily goal is 1390 and I try to have a little extra deficit eating between 900-1300 a day with some higher 1450-1700 days. I try to workout everyday but recently it's gotta boring! I've started using my wii to do fitness things and I feel like it's a much better cardio workout for me. I'm wondering what I could do to avoid plateaus or if it just happens and I'll get over it in a few days. Thanks for any other advice you may have!!

Stats:
H: 5'8" f
CW:138-140
Muscular build - trying to gain more muscle and burn off fat
medium large structure

--Feel free to read my diary and add me! (:

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to lose weight? At 5'8" and 138-140 pounds you don't need to lose you need to gain muscle and recomp your body. To gain muscle you need to lift heavy and eat at a surplus.

900 calories is not enough to feed your body. More than likely you have your goal set to lose 2 pounds a week. That's too aggressive for someone who doesn't need to lose that much weight. You should set your goal at .5 pounds a week if you're still set on losing weight.

But I hold to my original thought that you shouldn't be losing and instead should be weight lifting to reshape your body.
  • kmh0617
    kmh0617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of processed food/junk food. I'd try adding in whole foods-MUCH more vegetables and some fruit, lean unprocessed protein (fish, eggs, chicken- not hot dogs). I'd replace pizza with a serving of lean protein and a giant pile of fresh vegetable, sautéed in some olive oil.
    Also, your intake appears to be low-scary low at times. 188 calories is not acceptable as a dinner for any person.
    Increase your intake overall, eat AT your calorie goal. And drastically increase the quality of your food. Save junk food for rare occasions.
  • kmh0617
    kmh0617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree with what Sharon says. Grab a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women. Change your body composition. Eat lots of whole unprocessed foods at a macro intake that includes a generous amount of protein and fat, and that limits carbohydrates (especially refined ones! I like NO MORE than 40% carbs and about 30% protein and fat.
  • VictoriaRmfp
    Options
    in the beginning I was eating a lot of processed foods but am steadily improving, I don't want to obsessively worry about what I eat but more control how much I'm eating, the pizza you see on my diary is loaded with vegetables and w/o sauce if that means anything to you.