Long post - any help appreciated

Options
2»

Replies

• wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    By the way, there is a strong connection between eating issues and substance abuse. :)
  • TerraJanuary
    TerraJanuary Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I second what some posters said about AA. AA is not the only treatment for drinking too much wine. I also had a nasty wine habit which I was able to break without going to AA. There are a great many people for whom AA has saved their lives. That said, it's a really extreme organization that demands total abstinence and also has a quite severe religious and dogmatic approach that is really not suitable for many people. If you want to stop drinking, try SMART recovery, Moderation Management, Rational Recovery, Hams Harm Reduction, Refuge Recovery... there are so many options. Or, just STOP drinking so much. You got into a bad habit and just like other bad habits, you can change it.

For me, wine was like other "bad" foods that many of us overindulge on... chips, chocolate, soda, etc... It wasn't an "alcoholic" thing. I can say that without denial. Last night on the 4th I had 1/2 a beer, no problem. This isn't possible for alcoholics.

OP, I think you should give up wine (and all alcohol) for a month and reestablish your life without wine. See what else you could do besides drinking to alleviate boredom, anxiety, etc. It's a challenge to break a routine but you can do it!

If you really, really can't, then look into AA (or any of those other secular methods of recovery mentioned above).
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I would just like to add that AA is NOT RELIGIOUS whatsoever. That is a common misconception. You just have to believe in a higher power - something bigger than yourself. It is not aligned with any religion.

While I am not an alcoholic, I know many who are and they have greatly benefitted from AA and they are not religious. There are too many studies to count, including a recent one from Mass General Hospital center for addiction that shows that moderation is not effective for people with addiction.

I do believe that the SMART approach is a good option for people who do not have addiction but rather a bad habit. Having said that, I also think quitting anything addictive without looking at the root cause will not yield the positive changes most people are looking for when struggling with those issues.

I assume you have heard of the term "dry drunk"?
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I would just like to add that AA is NOT RELIGIOUS whatsoever. That is a common misconception. You just have to believe in a higher power - something bigger than yourself. It is not aligned with any religion.

While I am not an alcoholic, I know many who are and they have greatly benefitted from AA and they are not religious. There are too many studies to count, including a recent one from Mass General Hospital center for addiction that shows that moderation is not effective for people with addiction.

I do believe that the SMART approach is a good option for people who do not have addiction but rather a bad habit. Having said that, I also think quitting anything addictive without looking at the root cause will not yield the positive changes most people are looking for when struggling with those issues.

I assume you have heard of the term "dry drunk"?

I know AA is not religious and from checking out their pages, it seems pretty good. I know they've helped a lot of people as well.

I have gone without alcohol for a few days now and even though I miss it, it works. I still have to work at it though, because I used to have a drink whenever I felt down or was anxious, and now I feel like I need a replacement.

I just got a kick in the bum to achieve my goals. I got a phone call as I registered with an agency and they are looking for models for a feature film and would like me to come in. I am a few lbs bigger than I was before. So now my concern is how much weight I can lose in two days, or at least how much I can de-bloat!