When is a detox/cleanse necessary? Which one is safe?

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
Now, I know there are many people on MFP who believe that cleanses are unnecessary, but I wonder if there are cases where they are useful. My current situation is that I am somewhat irregular, going every 2-3 days. The days in-between, I don't go at all or a very small amount. My husband goes after every meal and spends a good deal of time at it, and he says that my system is not normal. I eat plenty of fiber, drink enough water (my tracking on the water isn't that great -- I drink when I work out without even thinking about it). I have begun to take a fiber supplement (psyllium caps) and I take two chitosan before my big meal, but things haven't changed. I don't feel terrible the days I don't go, but my tummy is a little bloated, and I just don't do a weigh-in on those days. Anyway, hubs, and a couple of other folks have recommended I do a cleanse. I don't want something harsh or that will keep me in the bathroom for inordinate amounts of time, just something that will get my system on track. I don't have the time to stay home all day near a bathroom, and I also don't want one that requires me to fast, as I don't tolerate long periods without food very well. The purpose of the cleanse would not be weight loss but to get me into a normal pattern.

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Three bowel movements a week is within the normal range:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/frequent-bowel-movements/basics/definition/SYM-20050720

If you're not uncomfortable, and the movements are normal, without constipation or diarrhea, there's no reason to do anything.

If it's causing you discomfort, then see your doctor for advice.

In any case, a "detox/cleanse" is what your liver and kidneys do; no need to use a special product or regimen.

I am not a doctor (OK, not a medical doctor!) and this is not medical advice.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I go about every 2-3 days and it's never harmed me.

And yes, detoxes/cleanses are pretty useless... and no they won't make you more regular. The only legit detox/cleansing that exists, in my opinion, is those used in the medical field for alcohol/drug/etc. Obviously, that's not you.

Don't worry about your bathroom usage unless you're in pain. A little tummy bloat never hurt anyone.

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    They truly are never necessary. That said, even if you did do one, it probably would not actually make you regular in the long term. You'd drop turds like a champion for a few days and probably go right back to your usual poo schedule.

Sorry
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You don't need a cleanse/detox, that's what your kidneys are for.

As long as the 2-3 times you go a week is your regular pattern, you've nothing to worry about. Just hit your fibre and weigh in weekly :)
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's normal for your body to avoid bowel movements as it loses weight. If you're going at all, drinking and eating right, you should be fine.

But, if you insist, it could be helpful to do a veggie diet ("cleanse" if you prefer) for a few days.
    Basically, you take veggies high in fiber and nutrients: Kale, spinach, broccoli, celery, carrots, etc. and steam about 2-3 cups per meal. Keep the leftover water (which will look yellow) from steaming and drink it as a snack in between meals. Add a bit of olive oil or avocado for necessary fats.
    On the second day, add in fiber-rich proteins like beans and raw almonds.
    On the third day, add in raw fruits like blackberries, blueberries, and core fruits with their skins.

It may help, it may not. It's very rich in fiber, which may help your intestines.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Now, I know there are many people on MFP who believe that cleanses are unnecessary, but I wonder if there are cases where they are useful. My current situation is that I am somewhat irregular, going every 2-3 days. The days in-between, I don't go at all or a very small amount. My husband goes after every meal and spends a good deal of time at it, and he says that my system is not normal. I eat plenty of fiber, drink enough water (my tracking on the water isn't that great -- I drink when I work out without even thinking about it). I have begun to take a fiber supplement (psyllium caps) and I take two chitosan before my big meal, but things haven't changed. I don't feel terrible the days I don't go, but my tummy is a little bloated, and I just don't do a weigh-in on those days. Anyway, hubs, and a couple of other folks have recommended I do a cleanse. I don't want something harsh or that will keep me in the bathroom for inordinate amounts of time, just something that will get my system on track. I don't have the time to stay home all day near a bathroom, and I also don't want one that requires me to fast, as I don't tolerate long periods without food very well. The purpose of the cleanse would not be weight loss but to get me into a normal pattern.

On the days you do not go much, did you eat a fair amount of protein the day before, like fish? As for your system being A B Normal(thank you Young Frankenstein) I'd politely suggest your husband is wrong. You may be taking in too much fiber, and a cleanse really will do little to change your regularity. If you think I'm full of crap, it is okay, this whole thread is ;) Seriously, no cleanse needed, just look t your diary for a trend on non-poop days. Peace.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Never. You never need to detox your intestines. They need their tox. They know how to get rid of unwelcome intruders. If you ever had the flu or food poisoning, you know your body can send stuff out when it feels it needs to do that.

It doesn't require your help.

Anyone who suggests you should cleanse is wrong and probably dumb, even if they use words you never heard before. They're trying to baffle you with BS. :)

If you're concerned about your poop, call the doctor.

Don't cleanse. You'd be better off throwing your money away. If you throw it out, it can't hurt you. :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    You have a liver and kidneys, no?
  • jenniferpark01
    jenniferpark01 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have done two 3 day juice fasts (saying cleanse is silly because its not cleaning anything). I got them from a store/friend who makes them to order and only with fresh produce. The only benefit was I lost my cravings for breads and refined sugars.

I had no bathroom emergencies. And at the end I lost lots of water weight and I was so thankful I could eat solid food again =)

I find I have less BMs when I eat super healthy. I just assume the body can break it down better than refined junk thus creating less waste.
  • AutumnElf80
    AutumnElf80 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Every two to three days is normal for some people. If this has always been your pattern then it's normal for you and not a concern. A "cleanse" will do nothing but clean out your wallet.
  • rosebette
    Options
    I'm not concerned about toxins as much as whether it's healthy to carry around waste for 2-3 days versus people who go every day or several time a day. I don't think any of the juice/fast cleanses would work for me. I get very nauseous when I drink lots of stuff without eating. My BM habits are pretty much what they've been for 25+ years. I had a tendency toward constipation when I was pregnant and had 3 children two years apart. When they were young, I just couldn't "take the time" sometimes to care for my needs and the problem continued. While hubby had the luxury of spending an hour in there with the newspaper, etc., whenever I would go, somebody would be screaming, falling, breaking something, whatever. Those of you have had kids know what I mean. So, ever since my digestion has been this way, even though the 3 toddlers are grown up. That's why I wonder whether there might be some damage to my system.
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Your husband who spends an hour a day on the pot after every meal sounds like the one with the problem. :laugh:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I'm not concerned about toxins as much as whether it's healthy to carry around waste for 2-3 days versus people who go every day or several time a day. I don't think any of the juice/fast cleanses would work for me. I get very nauseous when I drink lots of stuff without eating. My BM habits are pretty much what they've been for 25+ years. I had a tendency toward constipation when I was pregnant and had 3 children two years apart. When they were young, I just couldn't "take the time" sometimes to care for my needs and the problem continued. While hubby had the luxury of spending an hour in there with the newspaper, etc., whenever I would go, somebody would be screaming, falling, breaking something, whatever. Those of you have had kids know what I mean. So, ever since my digestion has been this way, even though the 3 toddlers are grown up. That's why I wonder whether there might be some damage to my system.

I like how everyone has advised you that it's normal and yet you keep going on about it. If you're so concerned then go see a doctor? Do you think if you had "damage" to your system because of your bowel movements the past 25+ years you'd still be alive and walking around?

It's like you want people to tell you to " go ahead and do a cleanse, it's a fabulous idea!"
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,066 Member
    Options
    OP, frequency of bowel movements has a range of normal - some people go twice a day, others 3 times a week.
    Both are perfectly normal - people are just different.
    I would wonder whether spending an hour on the toilet a day is normal though - but that is your husband's issue, not yours.

Sounds like your pattern is normal for you and there is no need to change it.
    However you also mention that at times, such as in pregnancy, that you have been prone to constipation.
    You may benefit from increased fibre in your diet - ie more vegetables, bran etc - or OTC supplements like Metamucil or Benefibre.

No need for any silly cleanse products though.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I had a college roommate once who only went once a week. Whatever works for you is your normal.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    My husband goes after every meal and spends a good deal of time at it...
    It's your husband I'd be worried about. Every meal? A good deal of time? I hope he's retired.
  • rosebette
    Options
    My husband goes after every meal and spends a good deal of time at it...
    It's your husband I'd be worried about. Every meal? A good deal of time? I hope he's retired.
    I think he's engaging in a lot of recreational reading in the process. Sometimes he even brings his cell phone so he can multi-task! Anyway, I've decided to save my money and just eat a hamburger or Mexican food once a week, which seem to work pretty well. I think I have a "reverse" system where the more fiber and healthy food I eat, the less I go.
  • BeginningAgainMay14
    BeginningAgainMay14 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Your husband who spends an hour a day on the pot after every meal sounds like the one with the problem. :laugh:

This! What the heck is he eating?
  • ruthstricklen1
    Options
    I use Herbal cleanse by AdvoCare. It does not make you crampy, or runny...lol. It works wonderfully. AdvoCare has some Great products.
  • rosebette
    Options

This! What the heck is he eating?
    If he's at home, exactly what I eat in slightly larger portions, but at work, they get pizza, do business lunches, or eat out together. He's also on the heavy side, but it was worse when he traveled. Whereas when I go to work, I make my own lunch.