Why do we feel fat still after weight loss?

Options
Hi guy's I dont usually come to forums but kinda wanted to see how you felt.I've lost over 150 pounds with diet and exercise yet I still see so much flaws and still see a huge person.I'm tired of being so hard on myself and was wondering what tips you have to get thorough it and also to see if everyone who has dropped alot of weight get stuck with the last 10+ pounds to loose?Thanks

Replies

• Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost as much as you but I still find that I am my own worst critic. I have a friend that brought this to my attention. Don't get me wrong I tend to look at myself and get the feeling that I'm not doing enough. I still have about 20 pounds+ to go. Yes I realize that my ticker doesn't say that but I feel I could still lose this amount and be healthy.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Before and after pics!

I also "blindly" feel body parts that I still think are fat, to realize - they are not. Over time, I find this helps my brain catch up to how I truly look. I read about this once...if you are in the dark (in bed, just before passing out) feel spots that still feel fat. You will realize how your mind is completely inaccurate when you go to touch. For example...I often think my stomach is still sticking out...so when I feel insecure about it, i go to feel my stomach...and realize how much flatter it is! Same with love handles. I often still think those two areas are huge, when they are not nearly as bad as my head believes it to be.
  • GoForLew
    GoForLew Posts: 22
    Options
    I think it is partially a mental thing. For me, even when I was at my lowest weight, I still felt fat. I know that there is a lot of self-love I need to learn in order to be really happy with my body. It's hard sometimes, though. It's a slow process.
  • naturesfinest4688
    naturesfinest4688 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Aww thx I'm glad im not the only one.And yeah it's my arms and belly .At 38 I'm in a two piece but my belly is got loose skin it's like a never ending battle we do such hard work to loose the weight and then get stuck with the skin.Numbers too such a nuisance haha...nice to have others who get it :-) :-) :-)
  • naturesfinest4688
    naturesfinest4688 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I hear ya our minds sure can be hard on us
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    its psychological .. i have a hard time believing i dont wear size 3x anymore and often go to those sizes when im looking for clothes to buy..its not in my head that im down to a size 16.. i eventually get down to that rack but i have to really convince myself its going to fit
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    its psychological .. i have a hard time believing i dont wear size 3x anymore and often go to those sizes when im looking for clothes to buy..its not in my head that im down to a size 16.. i eventually get down to that rack but i have to really convince myself its going to fit

I do this, too. I think some of the styles are adorable, then I see the tag and go, whoops!

But yeah, I worked too hard halving my body weight to want to settle for normal, healthy weight. I want to look amazing, and that can be frustrating. So that's why I think I feel fat. In fact, in some ways, I am less happy now with my body than I was at 245 pounds, because at 245 pounds, I never thought about how it looked and I didn't care.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I will ALWAYS feel fat, because I got all that extra skin on my belly and will always get that bulge in my clothes because of it - that, and the batwing arms.

So, I totally hear you.
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I have a MFP who's pictures I look at when she blogs and I always think I'd love to look like she does, I actually realised the other day we are 2lbs apart and we look the same, I actually have that body, I still candidates get my head to catch up with my body, I still buy clothes to big so I make myself try everything on now be for I buy.
    I'm very slowly getting used to it, I feel like I blend in now and don't have people staring at me, also learn to take compliments about your weightloss, it's people noticing you've changed even if you can't see it yet, try and see in the mirror what they are seeing.