Haven't exercised since PE

Options
I'm 18 years old and am a UK size 16 and 5'3 with 34GG breasts (which I think are mainly due to the weight)
I haven't exercised at all on a regular basis for atleast 4 years and have put in a tremendous amount of weight.
I have been telling myself that I will start getting fit for years but have been putting it off. I am now going to start. I have joined a gym which membership starts in 2 days.
Are there any tips people have on great diet foods (I am a vegetarian) and on getting started on exercising and working out.

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    The tip that many of us here subscribe to is NOT to eat "diet" food. Just eat real food, focusing consuming a wide variety of whole foods. Avoid as much processed food as you can and make sure to plan in some treats. Stay at your calorie goal and take it from there.

If you have not exercised in a while, start with walking. Gradually increase how far you go each day. Don't overdue it at the gym, thinking that you can stick to a rigorous routine.

Small changes are likely to be more sustainable. Good luck!
  • 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    First thing you need to learn is it's not 'diet food' you need to find, it's portion control and good habits you need to learn!
    Today I ate burgers and cake and ice lollies and I'm still within my calories.

Try to find exercise you enjoy, because if you get the wrong attitude it can make this journey so much harder than it needs to be.
    For example, if you eat some pizza and feel guilty and punish yourself by going to the gym, you'll encourage yourself to hate exercise and struggle to maintain a balanced diet.
    Or you could eat some pizza, but have a decent salad and go smash it at the gym and triumph when you last longer on the bike/treadmill than last time, or have a laugh rollerskating with some pals.

Don't get down about the days you don't do as much as you wanted, or you go over on your calories.
    I sometimes have days where I can't face the gym and I sit in bed and eat fish and chips instead, but then the next day I brush it off and carry on as normal! Sometimes I get to the gym and can't last longer than 30mins on the exercise bike, and I go home defeated, but then the next day I'll go cycling outside for a couple of hours and it's fine!
    Be positive! You can do this!
    :D
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Just start by tracking your food. Weigh it and log consistently and accurately. Once you have that down, start cutting your portion sizes to fit within your calorie goal. No need to eat anything different if you don't want to.

As for exercise, get some good shoes and a good sports bra. Start walking. Go a little further each day.
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You're a 34GG and you live in the UK? Go to Bravissimo and get fitted for a proper sports bra. When you're that top heavy, a proper sports bra makes working out a million times easier.

Get someone at the gym to show you how everything works. It's the unknown which is scary, so let someone show you it's not that bad.

Use the machines you hate the least/which look the least intimidating. You want to create a routine you can stick with. As you get more confident, you can incorporate some more stuff.

You don't need to eat diet food - you just need to read the labels and work out which full fat brands are ok. I swear by Pizza Express - half a store bought pizza can be less than 300 cals depending on the variety. I am not giving up pizza for anyone or anything.

Linda McCartney sausages are ok - not amazing, but ok - only 64 calories each and high in protein. Protein is the most difficult macro to nail when you're veggie.

Having said to avoid diet food, I adore Tesco's healthy living chickpea and lentil dip - it's 81 calories a serving.

I eat what I like - and I've lost two stone this way. (I was a similar size/height to you when I started.) All I've done is started logging food, realising my portion sizes are too damn big, and adjusting.

Best of luck with the gym. It's so scary the first time you set foot in there, but then you realise it's actually completely ok. You just need to get past the initial fear.