losing weight with an under active Thyroid

Options
My mom has a under activeThyroid and is on levothyroxine 100mg. She has not been able to lose much weight. Does anyone have a similar problem?

Replies

• SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    There are a quite few of us on here with hypothyroidism.

Weightloss is possible but it can be slow for some.

For myself I find the cleaner I eat and exercise regularly the better I do and feel.

All the best to your mom!

Karen
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and am on the same dose of levo as your mom. It is definitely an uphill battle...is she seeing a nutritionist? I've heard that helps a lot, though I personally have never been to one. When your thyroid isn't working normally, your metabolism is all sorts of messed up and your body reacts differently to food and exercise than the body of someone with a normal-functioning thyroid would.

What works best for me is eating whatever I want in tiny portions throughout the day (mini-meals) and watching my fat intake very closely. I was watching carbs for a while (which I've heard is best if you have hypothyroidism) but didn't notice a difference and was actually gaining weight on that plan, so it's different for every person. The main thing is for your mom to keep her metabolism going throughout the day! Healthy snacks are key.

Have her talk to her endocrinologist as well and see if he/she can suggest anything. GL!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and it's super frustrating. If anyone has some tips, I'd love to hear them.
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism at 16. It is very difficult to lose weight and change your body. I lost 55 pounds by eating very clean and healthy. Even short relapses (even just a few days or week) into bad eating habits and not exercising made me gain a pound. So it can be difficult, but losing weight can be done with consistency and dedication. =)
  • atampa
    atampa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    she does see a nutritionist and it isnt helping that much. That is why im going to MFP "family" to see if anyone else has any luck
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Since this is something that I have had my whole life I don't know what it's like to lose without hypothyroidism. I know losing is difficult, but I think it is hard for everyone. I have been winning the weight loss battle since 2004 and it's been hard. Taking the medicaiton at the same time everyday and one hour before eating should make a difference. I notice a difference when I forget to take my medication for a couple of days.
  • atampa
    Options
    this is a condition she got after batteling lung cancer and beating it. She lost so much weight during kemo and put on so much after recovering.
  • maryupton
    Options
    Hi, yes I am the same as your Mum and have struggled over the years to lose weight. I signed up for MFP last week and guess what - I have lost 6 lbs in the first week. UNBELIEVABLE! Mind you I have really stepped up to the exercise, 6.5 kms on exercycle, 10 minutes on vibratrain, 10 minutes in sauna and 30 minute walk. My calorie intake is 1220 which I am managing to maintain but are always looking for the next meal. I'm happy if it is dropping off and cannot believe how quick. Wishing her luck from New Zealand.
  • blankcanvas
    Options
    I have Hashimotos thyroid which means that my thyroid is totally non functioning. For 20 years I have been so frustrated with the inability to lose weight. But then I discovered MFP last year and it's been awesome! I found that logging every morsel and 30 min of daily exercise does work! It's much slower than most average people here and it's frustrating to work so hard for a one pound weight loss, but slow and steady will work... Just be patient:) I take a 137 m dose of levoxyl . Good luck!
    416185.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I think this is the article that was sent in one of the recent American Thyroid newsletters.

http://www.nelm.nhs.uk/en/NeLM-Area/News/2010---December/14/Taking-levothyroxine-at-bedtime-may-be-more-beneficial-than-taking-it-in-the-morning/

It's about taking thyroid at bedtime. I've been doing this for about a week. I get my thyroid retested at the beginning of the month, so I'll see how it's been working.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    TByrd,
    If you could let me know the results (night v. morning) I would really appreciate it. If that helps I'd love to know!
  • atampa
    Options
    thanks everyone i just got her to sign up with MFP lets see if that will help her progress!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I was born with hypothyroidism detected at just a few weeks old. I was always thin growing up as long as I had my medicine Then the kids came and I gained almost 100lbs with my first pregnancy. After my second when she was five I actually lost 60lbs doing weight watchers and exercising then I had my third child and Im at my highest so now Im back at it again I agree its harder but with proper nutrition and exercise it is possible Good Luck to both of you on your journey
  • sunnyand71
    sunnyand71 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to have found this topic, I am new to MFP and was diagnosed on October 1, 2010, although I suspect I have had it for a number of years. My doctors would treat a symptom I was having and no one checked my thyroid levels since my last child was born 12 years ago. I am thrilled to know that there really was something the matter with me although worried that the weight will continue to pile on. I am on Synthroid and I just got released from three months of physical therapy to start exercising. I met with a trainer today who recommended that I do ten minute spurts on several cardio things to avoid aggravating my low back/hip area. Wish me well as I start down this path to health please.