Sodium.. sodium everywhere

Options
My caloric count has been very good, I try to leave about 500 leeway just to eat under my caloric balance.
Sugars are usually good, carbs, all that stuff.

But my god, my sodium intake. A friend has been visiting from Texas, and I've been forced to go out to get my food. Usually I'd just stay home and make up some brown rice and kale or something (I made some awesome 400 cal recipes)

But once again, I'm insanely over my sodium. I don't even eat that much. Like eight little bits throughout the day, you know?

I'm not going to keep doing this, but I'm thinking as long as my friends visiting I'll still be off into the food wasteland.

Is this going to get me insanely fat despite my sticking to exercise and diet, or am I just going to retain a whole lot of water?

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Salt won't make you fat. It can make you retain some water weight, but that isn't the same thing.
  • tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Well do I know what reataining a whole lot of water looks like. To me water of fat it still makes me feel bad. You probably will just reatain a whole lot of water if your other numbers like fat ant sugar and carbs are good, but if they are up then maybe some fat too. I know that when my mom was alive just before she died she was in the hospital and we found out that her legs alone had a combined 46 extra lbs of water eeeek.

Any way sounds like you know how to eat you are just having a visit, but if she stays much longer just tell her I have to start reducing my sodium and who knows maybe she will to sounds like she might need to if she is eating the same.

Best wishes.:drinker:
  • 303enfield
    303enfield Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    sodium if the nazi of dieting
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I don't know why having a visiting friend forces you to eat out. I had a lovely week-long visit from my college roommate. Sure, we ate out some, but we also enjoyed puttering around in my kitchen and making meals. We were both intent on healthy and enjoyable eating during her visit.
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time keeping to the daily 2300mg of sodium also. I have High blood pressure and take a water pill to help disperse it and drink like 8-10 glasses of water a day
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    check your blood pressure periodically. if you don't have an elevated blood pressure, eat all the sodium you want. The whole sodium/salt paranoia is b.s.. If your blood pressure isn't elevated, you're okay.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I eat 4,000 to 6,000 mg of sodium a day and my blood pressure is 115/65 on average, with a pulse rate in the 50's. So it doesn't matter.
  • achaiadust
    achaiadust Posts: 17
    Options
    My blood pressure's just fine. Always has been. It just freaked me out a little seeing 2000mg's of sodium in red under my food diary. lol
  • mamaleftwich
    mamaleftwich Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It may cause you to retain water but dry to drink as much water as you can to flush the sodium out of your body.
  • achaiadust
    Options
    I can see what you're saying, I really do. But not every situation is the same for every cut and dry person. He did want to go out, and he did want to try things only Colorado had to offer. :)

To be fair though, I did walk around a good 4 hours today. I'm not just sitting on my food. >o<b

It's only been the last two days though. I was more or less curious what exactly the sodium entailed aside water retention and blood pressure. :x That's all.
  • achaiadust
    Options
    Water it is! :D I already did 9 glasses, but I'm working on a full gallon a day anyways. Thank you cucumbers and lemon! <3
  • Meerataila
    Options
    I can see what you're saying, I really do. But not every situation is the same for every cut and dry person. He did want to go out, and he did want to try things only Colorado had to offer. :)

To be fair though, I did walk around a good 4 hours today. I'm not just sitting on my food. >o<b

It's only been the last two days though. I was more or less curious what exactly the sodium entailed aside water retention and blood pressure. :x That's all.

You walk around in the heat four hours a day? Add something rich in potassium and call it electrolyte re-balancing or something!
  • achaiadust
    Options

You walk around in the heat four hours a day? Add something rich in potassium and call it electrolyte re-balancing or something!

No no no! Sorry XD I meant I was walking around four hours -today-. Not everyday. I swim everyday in the morning. XD Oh god no.. I'd die in the heat!
  • Meerataila
    Options

No no no! Sorry XD I meant I was walking around four hours -today-. Not everyday. I swim everyday in the morning. XD Oh god no.. I'd die in the heat!

Me too, I've taken up swimming recently for that very reason. Even so, I'm noticing I need more salt in my diet, not less. And I can drop an astonishing amount of water weight in a thirty minute vigorous swim. So maybe that salt won't do you any harm at all.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water. Your body will be able to excrete some salt with the extra water.

This won't cure everything, but it may help!