Bring my scale or leave it at home?

Options
I know some may think this is extreme but its really bugging me today:

My husband and I are visiting a couple of friends and will be away from home this weekend and won't be home till sunday late afternoon, early evening. Over the last couple of weeks I have been doing really good with eating healthy and working out 3 times a week. I measure all my food with my food scale-I don't like to eat at home without it.

With us being away for a few days would it be crazy of me to bring my food scale with me and weigh out foods at thier house as I serve my plate for meals? (if we go out to eat this won't matter--I'll just look up calories as needed). 3 meals saturday, and breakfast, maybe lunch on sunday. I am planning on bringing snacking foods like fruit for the trip so I will have that covered.

I don't want to have a whole cheat weekend--usually when I go over calories with bad stuff one day/meal I crave like crazy and its hard to control it, so I would rather not put myself in that situation.

what would you do?

Replies

• LJ0125
    LJ0125 Posts: 89
    Options
    If you feel like you do better with weighing your food then take it.
    Do these friends know you are changing your eating habits?
  • cuppycake22
    Options
    I would have fun and enjoy the weekend! Leave it at home!!!
  • tessym3
    Options
    I would take it with me. You have a good habbit going, i see no need to change it! They might laph at first and think it to be a bit silly but tell them hey, this is what works for me and i know it looks silly..
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    take it with you...maybe you will inspire change in others!
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    I wouldn't take it. You have to adjust to different surroundings and know you can succeed no matter what. The biggest thing is watching portion size. If you have been using the scale you should have a rough idea of the correct size of a portion. Taking the scale could make the couple you are visiting feel uncomfortable. I would eat what is served without complaint even if it was the most unhealthy meal ever. I would just eat a reasonable amount and say I am full.
  • molina76853
    Options
    I would leave the scale at home, it may make your friends feel uncomfortable.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I always bring my weigh in scale if I'm gone over the weekend, but the food scale, leave at home. By now you should know what a cup or 4 oz or whatever it is looks like, and should be a good, guesstimator. Enjoy your time with reasoning! :)
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I would say leave it at home. The only reason I say that is because for long term maintenance we eventually want to be able to eyeball portions and be able to honestly estimate what we are putting into our mouths. The other reason is b/c, personally, it makes me nervous when I see anyone developing a dependency on anything. I know that sounds extreme, but my youngest sister is anorexic and has been for almost 10 years (if you look at her you'd never know b/c anorexia is more mental than anything else). In any case, she has to eat the same thing out of the same bowl at the same time every day. If she doesn't, she starts to get a panic attack. I started to fall down the same trap as her but caught myself. Maybe I've turned your question into my question, but I'm just letting you know what immediately came to mind: ) I'm sure you'll have a great weekend no matter what!!
  • ladyccp
    ladyccp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I WOULD DEFINITELY LEAVE IT AT HOME......u r not crazy and u have a really good gage on when u are overeating and not overeating we all know how we got where we r...u r not going to lose control of ur weight loss by having a peace of mind for the weekend....u deserve ....trust yourself!!!!!
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    I wouldn't take it. You have to adjust to different surroundings and know you can succeed no matter what. The biggest thing is watching portion size. If you have been using the scale you should have a rough idea of the correct size of a portion. Taking the scale could make the couple you are visiting feel uncomfortable. I would eat what is served without complaint even if it was the most unhealthy meal ever. I would just eat a reasonable amount and say I am full.

I agree. Leave it at home. You will be fine. It just seems extremely awkward to sit at a table with friends with a scale on the table. I think that it is a positive step to be able to get the through the weekend, make good choices and live you life!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options

I agree. You should have a rough idea by now and you can measure with serving spoons too. It would give you an idea as to how well you do eye balling it at this point.
  • shuber
    shuber Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with what WrenLynn said leave it at home. Watch your portion size
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    Leave it at home. Just do your best to gauge portion sizes by your hands, fingers, etc.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/258837-how-to-measure-palm-portion-sizes/

Try to relax and have fun. We have to learn how to live and eat in real life too!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I would take it. Don't change your habits if you're not ready to. Your success is important, and if maintaining a routine is necessary for your success, maintain the routine.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. I actually forgot to pack it since we were in a rush friday night to leave! I did alright eating at the house and limited my portions for when we went out to eat. Over all no impact on my weightloss --I was dead even this morning on the scale-no loss no gain so I am happy and looking forward to my official wednesday weigh in :)
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take it, but I might mention to your friends that you are watching what you eat. I like to remember that a Fist = 1 cup of fruit or 1 medium whole, raw fruit, Thumb = 1 ounce of cheese or meat, Fingertip = Approximately 1 teaspoon, Tip of Thumb = Approximately 1 tablespoon, One Cupped Hand = 1 or 2 ounces of dry goods (nuts, cereal, pretzels) and a Deck of cards = 1 portion of meat. Helps me when I can use my scale or measuring cup!
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. I actually forgot to pack it since we were in a rush friday night to leave! I did alright eating at the house and limited my portions for when we went out to eat. Over all no impact on my weightloss --I was dead even this morning on the scale-no loss no gain so I am happy and looking forward to my official wednesday weigh in :)

That is awesome. Good for you! Now you know that you can handle it!