Throid - UHG!!!

Options
So my journey with thyroid problems started in 2002 when I was diagnosed with Graves disease. I had hyper (or high) thyroid production. My heart was racing, I was exhausted all the time and I was loosing weight like crazy. Well, unfortunately, they had to fix that or else my heart might explode. So they radioactively shut down my thyroid which means for the rest of my life I have to take thyroid supplements. That brings me to my current situation...We (my doctor & I) can't seem to get it to the right level. When she increases my med (I have more energy) but my thyroid level is too high, when she decreases my med (I have less energy) my levels are too low. Right now I'm at the latter, she just decreased my med & I'm exhausted!! I say all this to ask if anyone has had success controlling their thyroid and how?? Any foods that help? or supplements? I'm tired of being tired (and I think my husband is tired of it too)!!

Replies

• Jamaica2
    Jamaica2 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    No help for you, just wanted to say, that really sucks. It's a hard enough to have energy without your body messing you up. I hope someone has some ideas to help.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    no help, either-- sorry-- just some commiserating.

I lost 47 pounds with the help of this site between 6/08 and 8/09. Running 5k races, training for a half marathon.

In September of '09 I started slowly gaining, puffy around the midsection, blah, blah, blah-- long story short, I finally went to the doctor in March '10 and after a 9 month battle with them to take me seriously, I was finally diagnosed with Hashimoto's-- autoimmune disorder attacking thyroid function.

I'm on thyroid supplements for hypothyroid. I've gained 30 pounds and it won't budge. The gaining has stopped for the most part-- still counting calories and exercising-- but oh my-- the emotional pain of having my hard work taken away is overwhelming-- I cry routinely. Nothing fits anymore. I'm back to being the fat lady I started out as. Not fun.

I head to the endocrinologist for my first appointment 1/31, and will ask him for dietary guidance. I find since all of this that wheat is bothering me, as is dairy. Sodium puffs me out like the Michelin Man-- so I'm in quite a quandary.

Go figure that one teeny-tiny little gland can cause so much trouble--

Hope you find some answers--
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid diagnosed about 10 years ago, it takes a while but eventually you get the right mix of drugs. I now seem to have average energy but it definitely messed up with my metabolism with losing weight...for me 1 lb a week is awesome unlike some on here who seem to lose 2-4 a week. Hopefully your dr can get the right mix for you soon!!!
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    My doctor identified that i may have a thyroid problem because my weight fluctuates so much from month to month after numerous blood tests the results always came back inconclusive and thus they are unable to start me on any treatment they did however give me a british heart foundation food plan which contained a list of foods and how often each of them could be eaten over a course of a week and how much this small piece of information helped me to lose 3 stones last year maybe it could help you just ask you GP for a copy
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I had graves disease and had my thyroid removed at the age of 15. (I am now 43...ughh lol)
    I am on levothyroxine (generic for synthroid) 112mcg (I think)
    I get blood work usually about once a year and am right where I need to be. I think in 25+ yrs, my dosage has only changed once or twice. I have been on current dosage for a long time.
    I used to blame my "lack of" a thyroid for my weight issues, but now I know I was the only one to blame. I have lost 66# since Jan 4th, 2010.
    I used to be tired ALL the time, but now i know that was the extra weight, eating crappy and zero exercise. I work out 4-5 times/wk and eat healthy (95% of the time). I have all kinds of energy now and feel better than I have in 10+ years.
    Good luck with getting your meds adjusted...hang in there!
  • blankcanvas
    Options
    I too have Hashimoto's...was diagnosed about 20 years ago. the key is to find a good endocrinologist! It took me YEARS of different doses until they finally regulated it, and then I found MFP and my new endocrinoligist (who I love:) was shocked that I was able to lose the weight. Losing 30 lbs for us is like someone else losing 60..lol...just be patient, it will take time for your body to regulate, and just try to stick with this plan and someday it will kick in....you know if you're doing the right thing and if you are, have faith that it will work.
    good luck!
    416185.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Hashimoto's here, too. almost 6 years now.
    I am still trying to get my thyroid regulated. I finally demanded a T3 test, we'll see how it turns out.
    The idea is that when your thyroid is regulated properly, your body is just like anyone else's. You really shouldn't have a super hard time losing weight and getting fit. I'm not sure if that's correct, but that's what I keep hearing.
    I guess the other option is that it's never regulated properly :tongue: I have yet to see.
    Gained 35-38 lbs. in 3 years. It took me 8 months to lose 17 lbs, then I gained 5 back in 2 months still eating pretty well, but not exercising every single day (just 2-3 times/week). Frustrating!

Now I'm back to exercising 5 times minimum per week and eating very strictly for 5 days/week and we'll see how it goes this time around. I have about another 19 lbs. to lose minimum, so I'm expecting another 8-9 month haul at least. Hopefully we can figure out a way to regulate my thyroid so it stops getting in the way :laugh:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Blank and Rose-- glad to hear your tales. Regular doctor told me to be patient-- that it will take several months at least to regulate the medicine. However, I was unhappy to hear that my last blood test showed TSH back "within normal range."

Oh, great-- so now it's "normal" again, so she wouldn't increase the dosage. And I'm totally stuck, and still inching up.

Hope the endo can help more-- I'm just thankful this all happened at a time where my eating and nutrition was well under control, so I knew instantly that something was wrong, and that it wasn't "just me."

Doctors still took months to be convinced, and I finally brought in dated pictures and my exercise and food logs from MFP to throw in their faces. Told them I have two years of logs I can show them. I had to scream at one lady doctor, "I am NOT just some lazy, fat woman here looking for an excuse!!!!!!"

Been fun-- sorry to have hijacked the thread.

That is all--
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. I'm trying to lose weight but that really isn't my biggest concern right now. I just want to not feel tired all day. I literally get up thinking about how I can get everything done and still get a nap in before the kids get home. Anyways, I'm gonna start taking a multi-vitamin and vitamin b and see if that helps. I am working out 5-6 days a week and not eating junk, I've increased my veggies & fruits to 4-5 servings each a day, I just wish I could WAKE UP!!! Sorry, just venting now!!
  • stlmomma9
    Options
    I too have had thyroid problem and have been dealing with trying to get it all right. I recently started seeing a Homeopathic doctor and I have truly felt a change. I haven't seen a change (weight wise) but I haven't been trying at ALL, until now so we will see how it goes.

I take 5,000 IUs of Vitamin D and armor thyroid and they have helped me a lot and I recently read where your iodine levels could directly relate to your energy levels.

HTH.
    Amanda
  • sunnyand71
    sunnyand71 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    After six years of deteriorating health and rising weight, I got diagnosed late last year. I am glad to see others like me here. It is disheartening to read similar stories on dealing with doctors who as one doctor said to me six years ago, "you stupid women who come in here thinking there is something wrong with your hormones, theres nothing wrong with you" she hadn't even run any tests on me yet and never did other than my yearly blood sugar test. I went for years thinking that this was how I had to feel and that I just had to deal with it. I'm glad to find someplace to get some support and learn from those who have gone before me. I'll probably be trying to friend some of you as I learn more about MFP. Have a great day everyone.
  • NikkiJ17
    Options
    My doctor is a DO and also practices homeopathy. The medicine she wants me on is a compounded medication (meaning they make it right in the pharmacy according to your tsh levels) but of course this pharmacy doesn't deal with my insurance so I can't afford to take it. So I am on armour thyroid & levothyroxine (generic synthroid). I too am vitamin D deficient and take 5000 iu a day... coincidence? I'm curious now.
  • stlmomma9
    Options
    I wonder why they have you on armour and the synthroid drug. I was taking Levo but it didn't work for me at all!!! So, I switched docs and the homeopathic doctor gave me armour. It is way more expensive and often HARD to find (at least around here) so I have to go to a homeopathic pharmacy where they also compound meds, because if they can't find the armour I can have them compound it (though its WAY more expensive). Whatever it is that you need it is important you find a doc that will look at your overall mind set and health and not just focus on your thyroid. Ever since I started seeing this doc, I have felt better...but not great. My mom (she has been diagnosed with hypo and hashimoto) also sees the same doc (she travels over 3 hours to see him) because she likes him so much and he has tested her iodine levels and the synapsis in her brain to see exactly what is going on. He wanted to do those test for me as well..but I just can't afford it right now. I do plan to do the tests hopefully soon though because he found some interesting stuff out about my mom and all of this tends to run in our family.
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I too have recently been diagnosed with hyperthyroid. I'm the one who asked the Dr. to check my levels. I have been on synthyroid for 20 plus years for hypothyroid with goiter. I thought for sure my thyroid was more underactive because I began to gain weight had been running 6 miles a day six days a week and doing kettlebells for an hour too 6 days a week. 1200 calories a day and COULDN'T loose an ounce for 6 months . I was so frustrated . Boy was I surprised to get the tests results that my thyroid was OVERACTIVE. My doctor explained that 15% of overactive GAIN weight because of very high cortisol levels that hyperthyroid can cause.Right now I'm having tests to determine whats causing this I feel like the energiser bunny can't sit still and I find I'm still exercising like crazy but not an ounce lost.What can I expect they will do for me? So far the only thing they have been able to do is take me off synthroid. They need three weeks off it till I can have uptake scan.Any advise would be appreciated. Weight Gain doesn't always mean underactive thyroid.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Ok, are you on Synthroid (aka Levothyroxine)???

If you are, ask your doctor for a NATURAL Thyroid supplement, which is Armour Thyroid.

The reason you are having problems with getting your levels straight is because Levothyroxine is a T4 only drug and Armour Thyroid will supply you with TSH, T3 and T4 - which your body needs.

The problem is that your body probably needs more T3 and since Levothyroxine (Synthroid) is a T4 only drug your body is lacking, hence the reason you are exhausted all the time.

My doctor made the switch for me from Synthetic to the natural thyroid and I have made HUGE improvements over the last few months.

PM me if you would like more information.
  • mkspriggs
    mkspriggs Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well I as well have graves disease but I have hypo, I am also a NCO in Army so it is really hard to have to be at my peak and still deal with this. Here is what I do, its hard but it works. Must people dont condone dietetics, but for us it gives us enough energy throughout the day. also you dont have a choice to slack we have to do at least 30 minutes of physical activity everyday no matter what. I wish you the best its tough but helps
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Well I as well have graves disease but I have hypo, I am also a NCO in Army so it is really hard to have to be at my peak and still deal with this. Here is what I do, its hard but it works. Must people dont condone dietetics, but for us it gives us enough energy throughout the day. also you dont have a choice to slack we have to do at least 30 minutes of physical activity everyday no matter what. I wish you the best its tough but helps

Why not ask your doctor to switch you to natural thyroid meds? Along with the exercise and the natural meds you will feel at your peak and back to your normal self!!!
  • mayclai
    mayclai Posts: 12
    Options
    I also have a hyperactive thyroid and am now on synthroid (brand, not generic). The key is to see a good endocronolgist that listens to what you are saying. I started off taking generic synthroid and was constantly complaining that it didn't feel right. Every time the blood tests came back, they were w/in normal levels. I quickly found out that generic synthroid varies so much that it is very inconsistent in most people. I switched to brand synthroid and immediately felt a lot better. I have been consistently on the same dose for 4 years. Until recently, I felt that I was hyper again. The doctor changed my dose slightly, twice, and that did the trick. When I asked him what the blood work showed, he said that I was w/in normal levels. In the end, he said that I knew my body best. Even though you are within normal levels, it's just a range and everyone is different. Hyperactive thyroid is such a tricky disease to regulate. You really need to see an endocronolgist.
  • NikkiJ17
    Options
    Scheduled an appointment with an endocrinologist yesterday. Can't get in until February 22 but at least I know help is on the horizon. Until then I will continue to take my armour thyroid and my levothyroxine as well as my multi vit, vit d, vit b, vit c and echinecea (cause i'm fighting a cold). I'll keep you all posted, thanks for the great advice.