C25k: Repeat days or keep moving forward?

Options
I'm working on starting c25k because I'm registered to run CMR5k in October, and while I know it isn't a true 5k, I want to do as well as I can. That said, there are some days where I can't finish all of the work phase of a c25k day. Should I keep moving forward or just repeat the day until I can do it?

Replies

• blushpeonies
    blushpeonies Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    What do you mean you can't finish it? Its only 30-40 minutes a day.
  • bwharris318
    bwharris318 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can finish the entire time, but I can't always do all of the run phases. (For the last few, I find myself running out of steam before the rest phase begins.)
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Repeat. You have plenty of time to complete the program before October. Make sure you're ready to move on before you do, because it only gets harder!
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the C25K program myself and have asked some avid runner friends about this. The advice was pretty unanimous. If the gap in time is fairly large or you're extremely uncomfortable or in pain when you push to finish the time brackets then allow yourself some repeat days. However, if you're only a bit winded then push through to the next day of the program. You should always be challenging yourself to see improvement. But if you push too hard you risk injury that could set you back much further than repeating a few days.
  • blushpeonies
    blushpeonies Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Do you have a heartrate monitor? I always thought I was dying before - but my heartrate monitor REALLY helps because when I think i'm running out of steam - i can see my heartrate is only at like 130 - so I am able to push past it. Your mind/legs are going to feel like quitting way before you're actually ready to.

but i would say repeat - and keep repeating until you can do it.

my next run will be week 8 day 3 (5K) of C25K (so I know what you're feeling)
  • debbyc1970
    debbyc1970 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's right or wrong, but I personally repeat the day until I can do it. When I started C2-5K I was an obese, smoking, alcoholic. The first day I only ran two of the run cycles and walked the rest. It took me 6 weeks (and some major life changes) to get through week 1. Now I progress along just as I should. Repeating worked for me. Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    That said, there are some days where I can't finish all of the work phase of a c25k day.

How far into the plan are you? What's your base level of fitness?

I'd suggest looking at why you're not completing the run phases, but in general I'd say if you can complete a session move on, and in many cases subject to how much you didn't complete by it's worth moving on anyway.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Do you have a heartrate monitor?

In something like C25K an HRM is excessive. Just work on rate of perceived exertion. The run phases should be at a pace that one can say a sentence or two at, so hold a brief conversation.

The problem many people have in this is running too fast for their current level of fitness.
    but i would say repeat - and keep repeating until you can do it.

If you really feel that you have to repeat, then no more than twice. At that point it's become more psychological than physiological.

fwiw when I did C25K I repeated week 6 once, that was it, and that was largely because I'd had to take a week off due to work related issues.
    my next run will be week 8 day 3 (5K) of C25K (so I know what you're feeling)

I'm just having a bowl of porridge for breakfast and facing the prospect of a 14km at half marathon race pace. So the sensation of facing the psychological challenges doesn't go away.
  • binibecca
    binibecca Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am on my second week of week 4 and will be doing it again as I have only managed to do all the running intervals once. I know it is mind telling me I can't most of the time but am not going to give up- will just keep doing it until I can do all the intervals every time.
    I have just discovered, using my fitbit, that I am doing 14 minute miles which from what I have seen is terrible. Any advice for how to improve this would be appreciated.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Any advice for how to improve this would be appreciated.

Don't worry about speed. If you want to increase those times then finish the programme, and once you've done that start working on a 10K plan. Your pace will improve once you're on that.
  • valb1983
    valb1983 Posts: 18
    Options
    I can finish the entire time, but I can't always do all of the run phases. (For the last few, I find myself running out of steam before the rest phase begins.)
    You might be running to fast, try slowing down your pace on the runs, I found this really helped me to keep going longer :)
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    - the only thing I would add to the above comments would be to try slowing down your pace in the phase you are struggling with rather than give up and start walking. Maybe you are running too hard for your level of fitness at this point?

C25K is more about time running:walking than distance covered over time.

so - slow down to complete the time.

edit: oops - didn't read the post immediately above me! well at least you know at least two people agree on this!