How do I get all my calories in?

Options
Ok, the only thing that has been a major change for me since starting this diet is cutting out Mtn. Dew and eating out all the time. I cook like I have always cooked, eat the portions I would normally eat, etc. I'm full, not having horrible cravings, but I can't seem to even get close to my daily amounts.

How do I balance healthy food choices and getting all my daily calories in? This is driving me nuts! I'm closer today but, still farther off than I feel I should be.

Suggestions?? I never feel hungry so stopping my day and making myself eat something is difficult for me.

Replies

• CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of overweight people who have this problem. I think their metabolisms are off from not eating enough or not eating often enough, etc. I would just eat a bunch of small snacks. Make sure you eat as soon as you wake up and then just eat small things like 10 almonds here and there. That'll add calories and healthy fat.
  • theatr3geek
    Options
    I have the exact same problem! I always end up at like.. 800 calories. And it tells me I will be 105 in 5 weeks. And that is just.. simply incorrect. I think that a lot of times this site tracks calories incorrectly.
    If you are not hungry, don't force yourself to eat. I think it is just important that you get the nutrients you need to get through your day.

Happy losing :D
  • qtrhrsewoman
    Options
    CeeJay, I've just had blood work done and am on medication to get my metabolism up and my thyroid in somewhat working order.(Both became non-existent after my son was born--that was a long time ago). So I'm hoping that will help.

Theatr, I realize that the projected weight loss has to be off and agree with you on the calorie thing, but it's more than calories for me. It is my carbs, protein, fat , the whole picture. I'm still working on things that can get me closer to my daily goals. I know milk is a real treat for me, so I'm going to drink more each day. I drink 2% and use skim for when I have cereal, but I don't care to drink the skim. I'm not a big fan of chocolate milk, plus it is hard to keep with my son and husband around. I think this is just one of those things that you have to work out what works for you, or in my case me, but it drives me nuts to think that although I am dieting, I'm not eating enough. Maybe it's all psychological.....LOL
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Eating Almonds maybe? They are healthy and have lots of calories.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Do they have the Superskim brand skim milk where you shop? I don't know if that's a local thing or not, but it really is as tasty as whole milk to drink.
  • qtrhrsewoman
    Options
    I've never seen Superskim, but I will look for it. I don't drink whole milk, but 2% is about as low as I can go for just a cold glass of milk. Like I said, I'm closer today and I think it's one of those things that I have to figure out what works for me to get the nutrition I need and still watch my intakes.
  • GiuliaShakespeare
    Options
    Hey qtrhrsewoman! I was wondering about this same thing yesterday, because on Day 1 I was 500 calories under my calorie goal and worried. Fortunately, I stumbled upon this post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

It's stuck at the top of the General Diet and Weight Loss Help section, and with good reason! I would encourage you to read all four of those posts. I did, and now I have a much better understanding of exactly why I need to eat all of my daily calories, even if I'm not necessarily hungry for them. It really is all about the metabolism and your body gradually getting used to the fact that you're starting to take care of it in a different, more nutritious way.

As far as reaching your daily goals, I think it's a personal preference thing, and you'll fall into a pattern once you figure out what works best for you. Personally, I'm starting out with planning out my meals carefully so I can get used to knowing what a meal that's on-target should look like to reach my carb, fat, and protein goals (I'm a vegetarian, so the protein is extra hard for me). Today I'm actually going shopping for things like nuts, yogurt, fruits and vegetables that I like, and other whole foods that I'll be more likely to want to eat throughout the day when I know I need the energy. Lately because of the protein deficit, I've been eating lots of eggs and peanut butter. Every day is different! but if you have time it might be helpful to keep super-track of your food intake plans, just for now and for a few days until you fall into more of a habbit.

Best of luck!