Is there a good diet plan similar to Lean Cuisines?

Options
2»

Replies

• itskatelynbitch
    Options
    You guys really don't seem to understand.

I explained exactly why I eat LC's. I already KNOW how to cook. Its not something I need to "learn". I just don't have the time or money. You say its cheaper, but I just made the list of everything I would need for making my own frozen meals and there's no way I can afford that. And like I said, I work at various times, so cooking really doesn't work for me. I just wanted to know if there was a healthier version of Lean Cuisines...
  • christinalong1991
    christinalong1991 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    safeway has their own brand now called eatingright that it's significantly cheaper andhas a lot moreveggies in it. I think its more satifying than smart ones and lean cuisine for sure, I can feel full off of some of them. but sometimes I also add my own veggies or somethingto them. but I agree with others, I lost 20 lbs using smart ones, but I did eventually learn to cook real food. I worked full time and went to school full time and took care of my elderlyfamily member, I understanf not having time but you have to make timefor yourself and your health!
  • Imadorkable
    Imadorkable Posts: 415 Member
    Options

I explained exactly why I eat LC's. I already KNOW how to cook. Its not something I need to "learn". I just don't have the time or money. You say its cheaper, but I just made the list of everything I would need for making my own frozen meals and there's no way I can afford that. And like I said, I work at various times, so cooking really doesn't work for me. I just wanted to know if there was a healthier version of Lean Cuisines...

You could try the boxed salad at the grocery store and cook a package of chicken at the begining of the week and take that. I used to eat lean cuisines but I got tired of them. I now make my own frozen meals at the start of the week. If I make about 5 chicken and bbq mushroom wraps and a salad with chicken it is about $15. Each wrap is about 500 cal. I also started to price match in order to save more money.
  • BBBBB99999
    BBBBB99999 Posts: 13
    Options
    itskatelynbit- You may want to consider checking out the art of bento. Bento is designed specifically by people with little time and money to get the most out of your home-cooking. When not done simply by a hobbyist, it's a very well-organized system that involves a few hours worth of prep all at once as well as a schedule to have the least amount of prep time to keep you moving throughout the weak so that you never have to stop in your kitchen.

There is a lot of cute frivolity attached to bento boxes, but the true focus for daily bento is maintaining a balance between portioning, freshness, low prep time, portability and health.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    How much time do you have? Do you have 1 hour a week do to food prep?

Once a week, usually Sunday, I take a couple of pounds of bone-in chicken breasts ($1.29/lb on sale), season them to my liking, put them I a dutch oven, bake at 350degrees for about 1 hr. While the chicken bakes, I cook 1-2cups of couscous (takes 5 minutes), wash and cut up salad greens, carrots, mushrooms and other salad fixings and store in a large plastic container in the fridge. I might do a stir-fry with fresh squash, zucchini, whatever. Once the chicken breasts are cooked and cool to touch, I put each in a small ziplock freezer bag for storage.

Lunch takes about 30 sec each morning to make - grab a handful of salad greens, a chicken breast, a tomato and maybe some avocado - put in a plastic container.

Dinner takes just a couple of minutes - grab some chicken, steam some fresh veggies, couscous - and I'm ready to go.

So much tastier (and less sodium) than packaged food.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    We have a local gymn here in town that has a health food department incorporated into it. It's regular foods just made in a healthy way. All you have to do is go buy it. I don't think you can buy several at a time. I think they make two kinds every day. You don't have to be a member to buy it either. There may be something like that where you live.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options

I could understand this argument if you were eating Banquet frozen meals and ramen noodles. I really could. Being currently in poverty and all.

However, LC are not cheap. Three LC's a day woudl run you what, 9 bucks?

I could make dinner, breakfast, lunch, and have some to spare on 9 bucks.
  • azucenazalbrethsen
    azucenazalbrethsen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi :)
    I'm new here. How do I get a weight loss tracker?
    Thanks,
  • itskatelynbitch
    Options
    You guys talked me into setting time aside once a week or so to make my own freezer meals. I made about 2 weeks worth of breakfast sandwiches and I made these chicken wraps I like for work. I'm just worried that they have more calories than LC meals do. I calculated the calories with the recipe tracker on here and they seem high (around 300).

For dinner I'm going to start making zucchini pasta and alternating between sauces so I don't get bored. Would you suggest making a large amount of noodles in advance and freezing them or making them as I go (to keep them as fresh as I can for as long as possible)?
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You guys talked me into setting time aside once a week or so to make my own freezer meals. I made about 2 weeks worth of breakfast sandwiches and I made these chicken wraps I like for work. I'm just worried that they have more calories than LC meals do. I calculated the calories with the recipe tracker on here and they seem high (around 300).

For dinner I'm going to start making zucchini pasta and alternating between sauces so I don't get bored. Would you suggest making a large amount of noodles in advance and freezing them or making them as I go (to keep them as fresh as I can for as long as possible)?

Noodles will keep for 5-6 days just in the fridge. You might run them through hot water again before eaten to freshen them up. The calorie trade off between high sodium for a little higher calories will probably help you in thhe long run as high sodium tends to cause bloat (at least for me).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I personally need to LEARN....and most MFP users need to LEARN.

You hear people talk about LIFESTYLE changes......what are you going to change permanently that helps you keep the weight you've lost off? I can't go back to my regular eating habits (ever) because my regular eating habits made me fat.

There are no cheaper AND healthier alternatives. There are cheaper.....Michaelina has a line of lower cal. Healthy Choice is very similar. Even some regular dinners are low calorie....just check labels.....a few Marie Callendars fit.....again not healthier. There are healthier (at least some think so) .....Amy's, Kashi......lower sodium, etc....NOT cheaper though.

Temporary weight loss plans typically yield temporary results......:flowerforyou:
  • S_Murphree
    S_Murphree Posts: 94
    Options
    I found one of the best things is when you decide to cook (chicken for example), make extras and freeze it. You have chicken wraps, chicken for salads, pasta. Or if I have leftovers, I put it in containers and freeze. You can take the chicken and change up seasoning for several different meals, mexican, bbq, italian.

Since your time is kind of varied, you might think about the crockpot.

As far as expense, pasta, rices, frozen veggies since fresh are somewhat costly, eggs if you like them. Good luck.

Totally understand the convenience of frozen meals.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I hate cooking - so I understand your issue, I agree the time sometimes gets in the way (especially the clean up time).

I would highly recommend a crockpot - I throw in a pound of chicken breast, black beans, corn and salsa in there and then I have lunch for the week (salads, tacos or over a potato or rice). I have discovered you can do baked potatoes in the crockpot too - so I throw in 3 and then I have them already made when I want them, rather than wait for them to cook. My favorite go-to recipes are in the crockpot - throw everything and walk away ... 6-8 hours later dinner is done.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If your main concern is produce going bad, try frozen veggies. Even if you still want to have your frozen meals you can add the veggies to those to bulk it up a bit.
  • schmanciepants
    schmanciepants Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    One alternative I like to pre-packaged frozen meals is making your own using frozen, pre-cooked ingredients.

For example, Target and Whole Foods sell frozen quinoa or brown rice - combine that with frozen broccoli/veg of choice, and frozen chicken/shrimp in a plastic container with a sauce of your choice.

Is minimal prep, cheaper than lean cuisines, and gives you a better meal :smile: