calories in vermicelli

Options
uglyclub
uglyclub Posts: 83 Member
(I apologize for my rotten english!)

I bought these instant vermicelli noodle soup things and according to the nutritional label, it's 200 calories per 55 gram. I'm wondering if that's true though? Because after cooking it in water, I got a LOT of noodles. It can't be just 200 calories for that much of noodles, can it? Do they mean 55 gram when it's dry or 55 grams once it's cooked?

I tried Googling it and I saw this line in Livestrong.com:

"Nutritionally, the vermicelli rice noodle is calorie-dense and high in carbs, but fat-free and low in sodium."

Calorie-dense? But it's only 200 calories? Now I'm paranoid that the package could've been mislabeled. Unless Livestrong considered 200 calories a lot...

Replies

• juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm quite sure they mean 200 kcal in 55 g uncooked, so don't worry. That would be around 350 - 400 kcal per 100 g and that is standard for a product like that. The reason why you got such a huge quantity is because you soaked them in water - so most of the weight in the cooked noodles is water and that has zero calories.
  • uglyclub
    Options
    I'm quite sure they mean 200 kcal in 55 g uncooked, so don't worry. That would be around 350 - 400 kcal per 100 g and that is standard for a product like that. The reason why you got such a huge quantity is because you soaked them in water - so most of the weight in the cooked noodles is water and that has zero calories.

So that one serving of 55 grams is definitely just 200 calories? :\
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    MFP has 110 calories for 100 grams of cooked vermicelli. And another website had for 55 grams of cooked it was 60 calories.
  • juliafromrf
    Options
    I can't say "definitely", but just think about it logically:

Normally, cooked noodles have two or three times the weight of uncooked noodles. (That's a fact.)
    If 100 g COOKED noodles had 400 kcal, that would make 100 g of UNCOOKED noodles 800 - 1200 kcal. More than 100 g of oil. Is that realistic? No.
  • uglyclub
    Options
    I can't say "definitely", but just think about it logically:

Normally, cooked noodles have two or three times the weight of uncooked noodles. (That's a fact.)
    If 100 g COOKED noodles had 400 kcal, that would make 100 g of UNCOOKED noodles 800 - 1200 kcal. More than 100 g of oil. Is that realistic? No.

I'm so sorry for asking so many questions, my english is awful and I'm having some trouble understanding what you're saying. Haha oh gosh. I'm sorry.

So basically, if one square (55 grams) of uncooked noodles is 200 calories.. when I cook it, it's still 200 calories, right?

If 100 grams of vermicelli is around 400 calories, that would be 100 grams of UNCOOKED noodles?

I'm so confused as to whether I'm having 200 calories or 400 calories for a meal. Again, I'm so sorry.
  • juliafromrf
    Options
    My first language also isn't English, so don't worry, I understand your problem. :D I would try to explain it again, but I think it's quite hard with both of us not being native speakers.

I'm 99% sure that the kcal on the package are for the UNCOOKED product. Otherwise, rice vermicelli would be the most calorie dense product in the world and this is not realistic.