Get heartrate up without jumping/running

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,558 Member
So I'm doing Bodyrock (mostly 50/10 intervals) as there's relatively little jumping around, and I do love the variation. I have some foot problems that don't allow me to jump around. Still, on some days there are high knees, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, etc that I cannot do. Alternatively rowing machine, crosstrainer and running thingy hurt as well.

Some thoughts:
I can do toyotas, high knees and burpees slowly, but those don't get my heartrate up massively
I get totally out of breath when I do 'karate' kicks over my boxing bag leaning against a wall (about chest high): left and right leg to the left, and then both towards right again
Fast shadow boxing
Boxing: My boxing gloves take about a minute to put on and off while those programs give you about 10 seconds, and I can't do the other exercises wearing them. There don't seem to be grappling or training gloves available here (a not very developed country) and Amazon, etc doesn't ship. Big bag without gloves? Hmmm, not so sure.

Any other suggestions?

Replies

• greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    When I need low impact cardio, I always go for a bike ride or a long swim. Do you have access to a bike or a pool? Another idea is stairs. How are your knees? If they're good, find some stairs, put on some music, and go up and down the stairs for 20-30 minutes.

:smile:
  • yirara
    Options
    Well, the idea is to do for example

50 seconds squat with weight
    10 seconds break
    50 seconds lunges with weigh
    10 seconds break
    50 seconds mountain climbers
    10 seconds break

etc.
    I'm looking for options to fill those 50 short seconds of mountain climbers, etc with something that gets my heart rate up but doesn't have an impact on my foot.

Btw, my compound gym doesn't have stationary bikes (they're very basic and I only use them when I need weights and do pure bodyweight or things I can do with my kettlebells at home.

edit: Yes, there's a pool in the compound, but washing the sweat off and getting wet for 50 seconds is not quite the solution. Plus the pool is not exactly next to the gym or my home ;) Sorry for being imprecise.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Get a kettlebell or two and learn to swing, snatch, high pull, clean and press.

zero impact - tough workouts.
  • manishab7
    manishab7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try wide squats. Good alternative. Always gets my heart-rate up really fast. And saves the foot from the strain. The trick is to hold the squat postion long enough.
    http://media4.onsugar.com/files/2013/07/24/003/n/1922729/8e2166c93bf3e6e7_wide-squat.xxxlarge/i/Wide-Squat.jpg
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    What about a Turbofire.
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I second kettlebells, and not light ones. Or a hula hoop if you know how to use one (I could never figure it out)!

If you don't want to buy any equipment, maybe skaters or modified burpees at a faster pace. You can also do kicks and punches without the boxing bag.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Ah, the ol' complex turkish sex-up

...you know you can throw your back out doing that, right?
  • yirara
    Options
    What's Turbofire? If that's this cardio workout CD: that's exactly the stuff I can't do O.o

Yes, skaters work! Good one :)
    Another thing I noticed: I can do one-legged Romanians and then jump with the standing leg. Gets my heartrate up as well.
    Kettlebell swings: check!
    Wide squats: ok

I'll buy some training gloves when I'll get back to Europe next time; probably in October. Then I can actually use my big bag for what it's meant and not for leaning against a wall for kick overs ;)

Oh, and thanks for the complexes article! I'll see if I can build something like that into my workout. As I'm not too strong I don't have a problem with the limited weight selection at my gym. It's unlikely I'm gonna lift really heavy anyway as I'm usually the only person there and nobody would notice if I injured myself. One scary moment doing bench presses with a weight out of control two weeks ago was enough. O.o
  • yirara
    Options
    And just for normal cardio: just bought a pair of swimming goggles. The pool is a bit hot at the moment, and I need to protect head and back from the sun (it's about 57 C/135F in the sun) but it's at least something I can do :)
  • yirara
    Options
    Ok, experimented a bit.
    Yes, kettlebell swings certainly works. They get my heart racing. Though I really need to take care with my form after doing several swing intervals.
    Skaters and one-egged Romanians with a jump onto the other leg also seem to work
    The kickovers kick *kitten* and I suppose they also do something for my abs. I was only thinking too complicated: I'm kicking left and right leg to the left, then right and left to the right. Much easier, and fast is to kick left towards left and right towards right only without any pause and repositioning inbetween. Not sure though if this is something healthy to do...