eating fruits or blending friutswhat is better?

Options
So I eat some fruits like candy. Others I blend with soy milk and chug a lug. What is better-chewing or drinking or is it the same

Replies

• shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Better? They would have the same nutritional content excluding the soy milk.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    There is zero difference. Your stomach cannot tell the difference between mastication by mouth or blending by machine. It is not that smart.
  • karenMcMillan0712
    karenMcMillan0712 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks I have a patient who was worried and I was not sure-I know you use up calories chewing but I did not think there was a difference in the nutrients.
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    There is a difference in fiber content. I never waste fruit calories on juice because doing so would eliminate the benefits of the fiber. Women generally need at least 25 grams of fiber per day and men 38 grams. If you get your 25 grams elsewhere, then blend away.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I don't think she is talking about juicing, that is an entirely different thing. If you blend up a whole fruit and then drink it you are getting all the fibre.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    So I eat some fruits like candy. Others I blend with soy milk and chug a lug. What is better-chewing or drinking or is it the same

Someone bust your jaw?

Eat em.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Science says the sugars get into your blood faster from the blended stuff, though the soy milk might slow it down (not sure why you want a suspension of omega-6 PUFA in your diet, but that's another post).
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    There is a difference in fiber content.

this
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

this

I thought you only lost the fibre when you juiced fruit - you still have the fibre in when it's blended!
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    since i started this journey i have become quite fancy on fruits. sometimes i eat them fresh or sometimes blended in a protein shake.. once i had a sweet craving and had blueberries with melted raw honey on it and a dollop of whipped cream .. only fruit i wont eat is canned .frozen i use for my shakes
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The only difference is that the blended fruit will be easier to digest since it's mashed.
    You still have all the same nutrients, fibre, calorie content, ect.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options

this

I thought you only lost the fibre when you juiced fruit - you still have the fibre in when it's blended!

oh crap! my mistake. you're right. I jumped a little ahead of myself there without fully reading the post.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Chewing your food will typically leave you feeling more full after it so if the goal is to eat less overall, you may want to just eat the fruit. Most of us wouldn't sit down and eat 5 servings of fruit in 5 minutes but put it through a blender and it's pretty easy.
  • kendi0
    kendi0 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's way better have fruits in the "solid" state: the same amount of fruit makes you feel fuller than blended/processed form, so became very easy exceed in calories.
  • karenMcMillan0712
    Options

Someone bust your jaw?

Eat em.

I do not like certain fruits unless they are mashed.Like Blueberries
  • karenMcMillan0712
    Options
    I eat regular and smoothie on different days-The question came up by my ALS (lou gehrig's disease)Patient. He always chewed his fruit every day. He can no longer and he wondered if he was still getting the same effect. I was pretty sure he was but wanted to see others opinion. So thank you all for great information