rice

is rice good for you to eat? and if so what is a really good recipe for rice I'm looking for healthy but something someone who isn't trying to lose weight would like. lol it would be for me and my boyfriend sometime next week and he works late a night at times.

Replies

• loveless_me
    loveless_me Posts: 115 Member
    I love boiled rice, with peppers and onion lightly fryed (in the spray oil thats really good for you) and I always put a bit of curry too :)
  • MaDwItNeWfLaVa
    MaDwItNeWfLaVa Posts: 78 Member
    Yeah rice mixed in with garlic and onions is amazing. Jasmine Thai Imperial Dragon rice is very tasty. It isnt the best but not the worst for you. Plus it fills you up very very quick for a long time.
  • LemonLizard
    LemonLizard Posts: 86 Member
    I don't know anything about the benefits or disadvantages to eating rice, but I eat it probably once a week. I love it with any asian themed recipes, or by itself, or make it into red beans and rice with vegetables.
  • That sounds yummy with the peppers and onions and curry however sadly my boyfriend cant eat peppers he highly allergic to them :ohwell: That garlic and onions sounds good too but I want to make it a main dish for a dinner and it sounds too little in a way and needs something more in it to make it a dinner plus my boyfriend would be board of it and not want to eat nice idea though I would have it on my own ^.^ and yes thats what I was thinking something Chinese or Asian but I never cook that stuff before.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    I love it. Buy a good rice cooker.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    higher amounts of potassium, magnesium, iron, folate and fiber while eating less saturated fat and added sugars. She said that eating rice is also associated with eating more servings of fruit, vegetables, meat and beans.
    makes you feel more full
  • my cousin has a rice cooker and made wild rice salad it was so yummy ^.^ I would borrow it but hes in cali lol time to save my pennies for one ^.^
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Almost anything you eat can be "good for you" in one way or another. Rice has a similar profile to white bread, with bread having a slight advantage in certain areas (although boiling it increases its volume making it a bit less carb-heavy than white bread per same unit of weight), so you must be careful with your portions. I like simple rice prepared with chicken broth and with peas, carrots, parsley and a bit of ground meat added later.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    I love rice!!!! If it didnt take 45 minutes to cook I would eat it every day! (Brown rice that is) I steam or boil it, put a bit of butter on it and salt. That is my favorite way to eat it. Sometimes I eat it plain. Or I boil it in chicken stock instead of water. You can put just about anything over rice! It's great for when you're really hungry and want to eat 1000 of something :).
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    You need the rice cooker. There is no other way.

Unless you make this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ingrid-hoffmann/arroz-con-leche-recipe.html
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    I love all kinds of rice! I agree that a rice cooker makes things much simpler.
  • does anybody have a recipe though? I'm looking for an Asian/Chinese healthy recipe for rice that has a lot in it besides the rice i only have 2 cups of rice i just need something to put in it like veggies or meat and spices. I already understand that its good for you in small amount \s but im trying to find an actually recipe for it for a dinner not just to cook the rice and I understand I need the rice cooker but for a newly graduate of high school going to collage without a job I can't really get one until its either Christmas or my birthday which both is a long time from now and I'm trying to plain this dinner for this week.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    does anybody have a recipe though? I'm looking for an Asian/Chinese healthy recipe for rice that has a lot in it besides the rice i only have 2 cups of rice i just need something to put in it like veggies or meat and spices. I already understand that its good for you in small amount \s but im trying to find an actually recipe for it for a dinner not just to cook the rice and I understand I need the rice cooker but for a newly graduate of high school going to collage without a job I can't really get one until its either Christmas or my birthday which both is a long time from now and I'm trying to plain this dinner for this week.

Stir fried rice. Take like 1tbs or so of oil, just enough so stuff doesn't stick, saute finely chopped veggies, ginger and garlic to taste. When they're soft, add rice. Sprinkle with sesame oil, siracha if you like spicy and a few tablespoons of soy sauce (or to taste). Add a scrambled egg and chopped cooked meat if you fancy.
  • MaDwItNeWfLaVa
    MaDwItNeWfLaVa Posts: 78 Member
    Sorry if someone had already said this. But something I do with my jasmine rice is I bake chicken(with garlic salt and water only!) It comes out phenomenal. Then I make the rice as im making the chicken of course. When chicken is done I chop it all up and stir it in the rice. Add veggies of your choice IF you want to. Its great. ; )
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    I sautee onion in a pan, then scramble a couple eggs in there, toss in peas and some cold (precooked) rice and then stir in some soy sauce and thai fish sauce (about 1/4 tsp) to make a yummy fried rice. Also like to top with cooked chicken, peas (or any other frozen veggies) and onions with teriyaki. Or, stir in some pre-made pesto and top with diced chicken, chopped fresh tomatoes and a sprinkle of parmesan. And I used to make a good beans'n'rice but sauteeing onion, adding red beans and some garlic, top with salt, pepper and some red pepper flakes and then mix with cooked rice. Good luck!
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    I LOVE rice with a protein! You can google really simple recipes for rice casseroles! It's not asian themed but my personal fav is campbells [get low sodium] chicken noodle soup, 1 can of mushroom soup, 2 cups rice, a few boneless chicken cuts with some spices mixed together in a dish and baked for an hour!
  • JoyceMccormack1958
    JoyceMccormack1958 Posts: 22 Member
    Rice and stir fried chicken.
    Chicken stir fry,in a little oil, your chicken which you've cut into thin strips until it's no longer pink, take it out of the pan add an onion some chopped garlic and grated fresh root ginger, cook them for a min or so. Return your chicken to the pan, add some light soy sauce, and rice wine or dry sherry about a table spoon and lots of veg, include some bean spouts during the last couple of mins - as they really bulk it out- I mean lots. Cook until the chicken is completely cooked.
    I make a slimmed down version of yang chow rice- sauté an onion, some smoked turkey bacon, chopped green beans and any other diced veg that takes my fancy. Add your cooked rice and a splash of soy sauce. Cook until the rice is thoroughly mixed with the veg and is heated through. Some times I break an egg or two into the pan and stir it through the rice.

Tasty, filling, it includes some protein and you can tweak the amounts to suit your needs.- if your cals permit add a tsp of sesame oil to the rice at the end it really perks up the flavour. You could add some Szechuan peppercorns to the chicken dish when you cook your garlic about a tsp should do it. They are so tasty - if your boyfriend can tolerate peppercorns.
  • Yummy Yummy these recipes sounds very good ^.^ I shall show them to my boyfriend and see what he thinks thank you so much everyone ^.^
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    I made this recently. It was great! I am sure it would be great with shrimp too.

Better-Than-Takeout Chicken Fried Rice
    Author: Rachel Schultz

Ingredients

3 cups rice, prepared
    ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked
    1 cup peas & carrots, frozen
    1 white onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 eggs
    3 tablespoons sesame oil
    ¼ cup soy sauce

Instructions

1. Prepare rice according to package instructions to yield 3 cups cooked rice.
    2. Heat sesame oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
    3. Add onion, garlic, peas, and carrots. Stir fry until tender.
    4. Crack eggs into pan and scramble, mixing throughout vegetables.
    5. Add rice, chicken, and soy sauce to pan. Stir in soy sauce and remove from heat.

Recipe by Rachel Schultz at http://rachelschultz.com/2012/07/14/better-than-takeout-chicken-fried-rice/
  • Nephy07
    Nephy07 Posts: 76 Member
    I love rice, especially when I mix it in with some kind of salad, yummy