Training for first Half Marathon

Options
I'm looking for some people to connect with on here as I wanted to get some feedback on training schedules, cross-training ideas, even diet. I'm currently running about 20-30 miles a week on roads/treadmills. Getting shin splints pretty bad lately as well. Currently using the Nike+ running app for my schedule.

If you are in the same boat, or been/there done that and have some input, let me know so I can add you on here!

Thanks!

Replies

• Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have been running for over 6 years, and while I don't consider myself an expert, I have learnt a lot about training, diet, injury prevention, etc. I also completed a marathon. It's one of the most amazing experiences ever! Feel free to add me, I'll be glad to share my ideas.
  • ChangeYourPace
    ChangeYourPace Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I swear by Hal Higdon's training schedules. Though I never used the half-marathon version, the Novice I program helped my finish my first full marathon. Give it a look.

www.halhigdon.com
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are an indicator that something is wrong in your training. It could be worn out shoes, bad form, increasing distance too quickly ... figure out what the issue is and correct it before they sideline you from the half.

With this being your first half ... what are your goals? How far out is the race? What is your current training plan?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, and I encourage you to join the Long Distance Runners group too.
  • DuckiesorDie
    DuckiesorDie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I went to a running shop yesterday, and they said I overpronate, and I was wearing Nike Free Run's for my runs, and she said that's not a good shoe for me since it's so flexible. I'm hoping that's the reason.

The half is a little over 13 weeks out, so I've got plenty of time. Currently using 4 runs a week with some speedwork on one of them. Also cross training once during the week, then resting or light work on 2 days. I'd like to get my pace down to 9 minutes per mile.
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    For speed work, I would try intervals 1-2 times a week. It does miracles! Also investing in the right shoes and non-cotton socks for me was crucial. I have not had any injuries for over 3 years now. Not missing losing toe nails at all :))
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    I went to a running shop yesterday, and they said I overpronate, and I was wearing Nike Free Run's for my runs, and she said that's not a good shoe for me since it's so flexible. I'm hoping that's the reason.

The half is a little over 13 weeks out, so I've got plenty of time. Currently using 4 runs a week with some speedwork on one of them. Also cross training once during the week, then resting or light work on 2 days. I'd like to get my pace down to 9 minutes per mile.

If you're getting shinsplints, I'd recommend ditching the speedwork (for now). Your pace will get better with increased aerobic capacity, which is gained through easy miles on top of easy miles. I'd be more concerned with nailing the long runs, and shooting for 14-15mi on them. What have your long runs looked like so far?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    hey, i've done two half marathons, plus a handful of triathlons. send a request if you'd like.

the key to running is to just get out and run as often as possible. cross train a bit with cycling or swimming, or weight lifting, but know that you need to get out there at least 3-4 times a week if you want to run a good half marathon.
  • limnological
    limnological Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first half, too! 17 weeks out. Initially had some knee pain when I increased my miles, but a new (also less flexible) pair of shoes and a couple of days rest fixed that right up so hopefully your shin splints respond the same way.
  • WallyH4EverVersion
    WallyH4EverVersion Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Bumb to safe link

I am training for my first half on Oct .... heading out tor a run now....will write tonight. :smile:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Some of this might be basic for you, but it's a good read when you have time

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I would say build easy mileage first then speed. Speed comes pretty automagically when you build up miles per week.
  • bazzawood30
    bazzawood30 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first half marathon in sept done a few 10k races need to move on and push harder. I suffered from shin splints good shoes and ice packs help loads. I found once i lost some weight and built up strengh they just vanished. I did tabata sprints on the treadmill 20sec on 10secs rest did wonders for my running form speed and lung capacity. Just once a week was enough.
  • DuckiesorDie
    DuckiesorDie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Done a few 7.5 mile runs, farthest one so far has been 8. Took me a little over hour and a half..
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Done a few 7.5 mile runs, farthest one so far has been 8. Took me a little over hour and a half..

not bad at all!
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I am doing my3rd 1/2 in September.... Daily running, and slow mileage increases are key for me. I over pronate also and find the best shoe for me are asics.... Feel free to add... I will be running more in the next two months. Good luck!! :-)
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options

Looks like you are progressing nicely. Are you following a training plan? feel free to add me; I start marathon training next week and am very much looking forward to the fall racing season!!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

Unless you've been running for several years, ditch the speedwork. Until your aerobic capacity has increased significantly, you're not doing yourself any favors with speedwork.

And most importantly, stretch and foam roll.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first Half in October. My longest run so far has been 8.5miles which I did in about 1:40. I'm also signed up for my first Duathlon in September, a couple of weeks before, so am trying to mesh the training for both together!

I figure the Duathlon will be good for my running because I have to do 15km run in total, and 5km of that will be on very tired legs!!!!

I've been a bit out of routine recently but hoping to get my weekly mileage back up to around 25miles per week.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I swear by Hal Higdon's training schedules. Though I never used the half-marathon version, the Novice I program helped my finish my first full marathon. Give it a look.

www.halhigdon.com

Glad to hear this as I am using Hal Higdon's novice 1 for my first marathon. Feel free to add me - currently training for a full, but have done a few halfs, few 15ks, few 10ks, and many, many 5ks.

Shin splints that I had earlier in the year were because of my shoes, so hopefully the new shoes will help you out.