5'8", 185 lbs

Options
lrf573
lrf573 Posts: 6 Member
I am posting to make myself accountable - as a single person that has been my biggest challenge!

Up until I turned 30, my weight stayed under 150 lbs. And then in rapid succession I found out I moved away, have hypothyroidism, and most challenging, my mom became sick. Over the course of her illness and passing I coped by unhealthy eating. At her passing, I weighed 170. Now, 4 years and 3 layoffs later I'm at 185 and can't seem to get the scale to budge.

I am happy to say I am gainfully employed back in software and really like my job. I know exactly why I am where I am, and I finally feel ready to really change. I have a great group of friends but I'm not sure we are the best motivators for each other - we've all been yo-yo-ing for years. My goal is to log my food everyday and to participate in these boards.

I will do this - I need to. For my health and my happiness.

Replies

• Pathmonkey
    Pathmonkey Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    .......and you've already logged a 3 lb. loss, awesome! Strangely enough I coped with my own illness by unhealthy eating. I also need to do this, for my survival and happiness. Sounds as if you will indeed 'do this'. Much luck! :happy:
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Welcome and the best part of your story is you are recognizing the situation you are in without a huge amount to lose. I wish you the best in this journey.
  • lrf573
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm 183 right now and 5'8" as well! Even though I started at over 200, we have about the same weight to lose, add me!
  • stephaniebush1
    stephaniebush1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I keep battling back and forth between 182-184 as well. Two years ago I was typically 165 but stress, age along with my eating habits has changed it all. But I can't seem to get the scale to go down. In the fall, I did get down to 177. It is frustrating and I know I need to be more conscious of what I am eating and consistent with my work outs.
    Right now I have my calorie intake set to 1500. It was set to 1200 but I think it was too low after doing some research. Especially if I'm going to workout.
    I wish you all good luck...I would love to follow your journey with you. I know I definitely need motivation as well! :-)
  • lrf573
    Options
    Thanks Stephanie! This age thing is no joke ... let's definitely stay in touch throughout this process. Are you also 5'8"?
  • adrienne0906
    adrienne0906 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'8", and started almost the same as you! (188). I may have actually been higher, but did some research and started eating slightly better for a whole summer before weighing myself for the first time probably EVER, which read 188. So that's where I started MFP : ) In a little less than a year I lost 45 pounds, started dating someone and gained half of it back, and have chipped away at it up and down for the few years, unfortunately.

My body seems to have "settled" in the mid-to-high 150s, but my lowest weight ever was 143. At that point I was sort of starving myself and working out every day, so the last few years have been a struggle to find an achievable balance. (side note to all the 5'8" ladies: I see some of you posting about STARTING at 150 and trying to get down to 120....more power to you but I can never weight that unless I just stop eating forever hah.) I'm not perfect, and would love to lose a good 10-15 lbs, but....beer. and baking. Here's to renewed motivation!

Consistency is so important, and of course the MFP community and tools. You can do this!