Counting calories vs 'clean eating'

My calorie goal from MFP to lose 1lb a week is just over 1400 calories which is okay. I am 5'6/7 and 165lbs.

I've been reading a lot about nutrition and healthy eating, and a lot of people argue that you don't need to count calories as long as you are eating healthily. Somebody said that the calorie deficit I have would be too little to get any results unless I eat clean too, and the calories in vs calories out theory is completely wrong.

Does anyone have any insight into this?! I am so confused at the moment. Or any success stories from anyone eating a similar amount to me?

Thanks!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    You can gain weight eating clean and lose weight eating dirty. Consuming fewer calories than you burn is how you lose weight.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    You can still gain weight on a surplus of healthy food.

Why not both?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    If you eat too many calories you will gain weight no matter what the food is. I'm 5'6 171 lbs and eat between 1600-2000 calories daily, and have lost a little weight. I do wash my food if needed and don't eat off the floor so it's clean. My dairy is open.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Here's some information that might help

Log your food accurately and honestly. Go for 80% good choices the other 20% don't worry so much about. I eat lots of delicious food and have consistently lost. Keep it simple find a REASONABLE deficit:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

Find an activity you enjoy doing - I found I love to ride my bike and lift heavy stuff :)

Here are 2 more threads that will help take the time to read them:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    It would be difficult to gain weight eating fresh fruits and veggies, lean white meat and grainy bread. Really, really hard. For one thing, the food isn't high in calories. For another, it isn't so yummy that you want to stuff yourself full. Very few people would over-eat having dry tuna and strawberries for lunch...especially the 1000th time they did it. But it could be done, I suppose.

Healthy food makes healthy bodies, but you can absolutely lose weight without it. I think the more junk you eat, the harder it might be, because those calories add up fast.

The more healthy food, the fuller you can be. You can eat so much fruit and lettuce for so few calories.

But the choice is entirely up to you and you can absolutely succeed eating junk food. Most people do!
  • Roxytudor
    Roxytudor Posts: 16

Log your food accurately and honestly. Go for 80% good choices the other 20% don't worry so much about. I eat lots of delicious food and have consistently lost. Keep it simple find a REASONABLE deficit:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

Find an activity you enjoy doing - I found I love to ride my bike and lift heavy stuff :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

This was really helpful! Thank you :)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    "Healthy" juices usually more fattening than soda. "Healthy" granola bars can be more fattening than candy bars. No need to fall for any weight loss ideas that are not based on counting calories. People who avoid counting calories but instead their strategy is to eat healthy or exercise or eat one meal a day or cut out sweets or whatever, or "cut back" on food without counting calories-- these folks are doomed to remain fat and possibly get fatter. Same goes for those who decide to abandon their scale in favor of losing inches instead of pounds. And counting carbs or fat grams instead of calories will not work either. You will lose the same weight whether you get your calories from french fries, cake, steak or collard greens.
  • GiveMeCoffee

This was really helpful! Thank you :)

You're very welcome, keep it simple. It works :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    My calorie goal from MFP to lose 1lb a week is just over 1400 calories which is okay. I am 5'6/7 and 165lbs.

I've been reading a lot about nutrition and healthy eating, and a lot of people argue that you don't need to count calories as long as you are eating healthily. Somebody said that the calorie deficit I have would be too little to get any results unless I eat clean too, and the calories in vs calories out theory is completely wrong.

Does anyone have any insight into this?! I am so confused at the moment. Or any success stories from anyone eating a similar amount to me?

Thanks!

They do say you don't have to count calories if you are "clean eating" (which has a broad definition of what exactly that is). That doesn't mean calories intake doesn't count at all.
    The thing is, with diets like clean eating, the type of food people tend to overeat is often not allowed. So simply by eliminating these foods, you cut your calorie intake. They also tend to eliminate things that most people don't consider and tend to add up, like pop, juice, cream and sugar in coffee, etc.
    The other thing is diets like that focus on foods that tend to fill you up and keep you full like protein and fibrous veggies.
    It is still calories in vs calories out, it just restricts calories a different way.

Unfortunately it doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Many people will simply replace the calories from the restricted foods with calories from the allowed foods.

Focusing more on nutrient dense foods and eating in a way that will satiate you and keep you full and cutting back on less nutrient dense foods or foods you over eat is a good thing. You can do that with calorie counting too without the total elimination of foods you enjoy or drastic dietary changes.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    52183933.jpg
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    I am eating clean lately rather than focusing on calories and it seems to be working for me!
  • DeguelloTex
    I am eating clean lately rather than focusing on calories and it seems to be working for me!
    Correlation, not causation.
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    "Healthy" juices usually more fattening than soda. "Healthy" granola bars can be more fattening than candy bars. No need to fall for any weight loss ideas that are not based on counting calories. People who avoid counting calories but instead their strategy is to eat healthy or exercise or eat one meal a day or cut out sweets or whatever, or "cut back" on food without counting calories-- these folks are doomed to remain fat and possibly get fatter. Same goes for those who decide to abandon their scale in favor of losing inches instead of pounds. And counting carbs or fat grams instead of calories will not work either. You will lose the same weight whether you get your calories from french fries, cake, steak or collard greens.
    I agree.
    All I do is cal count and eat whatever I want within those cals. My goal is 1300 a day and I'll have anything from chocolate cereal, toast, soup, chips, crisps to chocolate and I've still lost weight. I really wish I could do the whole clean eating thing but I just can't. Sadly I don't like any veg other than carrots so I'd be doomed plus for me to stay on track it has to be a sustainable diet that I enjoy and won't get fed up and quit after a week.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    If your long term goal is to be healthier rather than just smaller then cleaner eating is certainly worth pursuing. On fewer calories you've got more chance of missing out on important vitamins and minerals you might have got more of when you were eating a third more. Adopting good eating practices can only be a good thing right?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

This is a confusing post. If we are talking about 100 calories of juice or 100 calories of pop , neither is more "fattening". Is it not the same idea as your last line? Even if it is 200 calories of juice and 100 calories of pop, so long as the daily calorie intake isn't exceeded, again, neither is "more fattening".

I'd hardly say that people who use different strategies are doomed to fail. They are simply controlling their calories in vs calories out in another method. It is still the same basic principle. And there are many people who are successful. That said, if you aren't, counting calories would be a good place to start but it isn't always necessary.

How on earth would abandoning your scale in favor of measuring inches lead to failure? If your inches are going down, at some point your weight is too.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Eating "cleaner" or focusing on less processed, more nutrient-dense food is a good thing, but it's good for reasons other than losing weight. It's probably wise to focus on more nutritious foods if you're eating less overall, just to make sure you're giving your body what it needs to stay healthy. But that doesn't mean you can't have the occasional yummy junk if you can fit it into your calories, or that you can't overeat otherwise healthful food. Olive oil's good for you in many ways, for instance, but it's calorie-dense and it's easy to use more than you realize.
  • DeguelloTex

This is a confusing post. If we are talking about 100 calories of juice or 100 calories of pop , neither is more "fattening". Is it not the same idea as your last line?
    12 ounces of unsweetened apple juice is 170 calories. 12 ounces of Dr Pepper is 150 calories. I think that's the kind of things referenced.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    .... and the calories in vs calories out theory is completely wrong.

I understand that there is some groundbreaking thinking about the earth not being flat as well..

The physics around the principle of conservation of energy is pretty conclusive, there is no reliable evidence suggesting that it doesn't work.