Snacking at Night

Options
Anyone have any tips to curb snacking at night? I"m doing great during the day watching what I eat along with cardio and lifting weights. However, it seems like once 7pm hits, I'm snacking here, snacking there, and this is hurting my weight loss. Help!!!

Replies

• 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Plan it in to your calories for the day. I love snacking at night, so I save about 300 calories for a glass of wine and some crackers.
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    ^Exactly! I save 250 calories for after dinner for snacks/desert! The rest of my meals during the day are between 200 and 300 calories each to I always have plenty left over. Although, dinner is usually more...
  • indianlarry11
    indianlarry11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Make yourself a smoothie at night with whey protein and berries. This will fill you up with good calories and should tide you over until you go to bed.
  • sltovey
    sltovey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. Plan for it and work it in.

For me, it's much, much easier to "plan for it and work it in" when I've gotten enough fat and protein in my diet. That really helps me stick to my calorie allowance during the day and night. I tend to eat more than I plan to when I'm deficient in protein and working out.
  • riadhdeb
    riadhdeb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese
    Peanuts
    Peanut butter
    Strawberry
    Blueberry
    Protein pancake( no carb)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Plan it in to your calories for the day. I love snacking at night, so I save about 300 calories for a glass of wine and some crackers.

This.

I'm the opposite, I'd rather eat all of my remaining calories for dinner and consider the kitchen closed for the night. Most of the time I don't even consider that there is an option to snack after that. I just get into the routine of not eating later...not because I think there's some magical hour when you should stop eating, but because that is my routine.

If I liked evening snacking I'd definitely have a smaller lunch and/or dinner and save some calories for a snack or snacks. Seems like a great idea!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I, too, save hundreds of calories to snack at night. Record the snack in your diary before you go to the kitchen to grab it. Have plenty of low calorie healthy snacks available -- like fresh or frozen cherries. Weigh all your snack portions. Never eat out of the bag or container. Don't take the containers into the TV room with you. Make sure to have a protein snack available like light string cheese or Baby Bel mini-goudas. Drink plenty of water, carbonated water or iced tea. Go to bed with a book.

And, if you like me are susceptible to sweet tastes making you hungry -- avoid sugar AND sugar substitutes in the evening. After that, it's a few miserable nights of working on your head to remind yourself that you really aren't hungry and you can overcome this. You will not die from hunger pangs this evening and you will learn self control.

Yes, I talking from inside my own head and years of experiencing the throes of nightly evening snacking urges.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it a snack. I have a meal at 5pm, and another meal at 7pm. A big chunk of my daily calories occur in the afternoon / evening. Once I see it as a meal, then I plan it as a meal and take into account my macros. If I am going to have 300 or 400 calories, then I would rather have some main course (beef, chicken, etc.), some crisp veggies, and some yogurt rather than chips or crackers.

So you don't need to stop eating in the evening. You just need to figure it is a meal, plan your food choices to meat your eating plan, and eat accordingly.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i save 200 calories every day for a bedtime bowl of cereal.