Callanetics? Am i the only one?

Options
Ever since I tried callanetics when I was in high school, I have always made time to make it a part of my weekly workouts. The results are amazing, and very good for the back!
For strength and improved flexibility it's great, pulls your fat in, in no time! However what's it like for a calorie burn? The most similar exercise I know is pillages or yoga.
Also, has anyone tried supercallanetics?...
It's such an amazing workout...

Replies

• 3azeema
    3azeema Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes, a friend recommended it to me and I have started with the 10 years younger in 10 hours tape,

I have never been so pleasantly sore! It is very effective, I have done 2 hours and I have already lost an inch from my waist! The program promises a 10 inch reduction by the end of the 10 hours. Here's hoping!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    as a former professional rsg and ballerina, I love it. Best target toning program out there, if you can stand the "I'm a blue blood elitist" intro by Callen. lol, And the lack of tights, but that's the 70s for you. I wonder if she is still alive?
  • aminakhalique
    aminakhalique Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sadly the great Callan Pickney passed away last year.. It really saddened me. She really inspired people to pay close attention to their bodies. Having suffered from a car accident as a pedestrian, her gentle yet effective exercises are the only ones that give me relief. I'm slowly regaining my flexibility Thanks to her targeted & non - back stressing workouts. Funny thing, the moment I stop incorporating callanetics into my routine, my stiffness, soreness and lower back pain return..

Since callanetics is such a targeted exercise, and you can feel the heat rising from the muscle you just worked out when you touch it, (for example when I touch my stomach after her deep stomach exercises , I feel the muscle is very warm, much more than sit ups!), would it qualify as a calorie burning workout? Even yoga burns calories. I was wondering if anyone records callanetics with like a 150 calorie burn like I do (approximated).?
  • sammycat1
    sammycat1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just bought the dvd's after replacing my old dusty vhs tapes lol. I love doing Callanetics and find it keeps hunger away rather than cradio which makes me very hungry. Wonder if anyone else finds this? I do the am/pm one and record it as Pilates which gives me about 94 calories burned for 40 minutes but I guess a hrm would give you an accurate burn. I've recorded my measurements and will be interesting to see after 10 hours.
  • RobinLynx
    RobinLynx Posts: 60
    Options
    Love Callanetics! I don't do all of the exercises, but I do most & aim for 6 days a week. I do them with Body Flex breathing LOL (as well as Body Flex except the Cat one --hurts). 3 days/week I add 4 weight training exercises --with the funny (Body Flex) breathing. With a spine problem, it gets the physical therapy exercises in.

No clue about the calories, but since it definitely tones there must be muscles getting stronger, so don't the muscles help burn more calories?
  • lulubeber
    lulubeber Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I know no one has posted on here for three months, but I too was looking for the number of calories burned for callanetics (the old school 10 hour DVD version)...

I usually enter it as "yoga" or "pilates" with a "high intensity" effort ( on apps that have different intensities you can log in) but honestly, for me callanetics is SOOOOO much more challenging than pilates... you can really feel the muscles working, for example my legs tremble like mad when I do the hips/buttocks exercises, even after 12 hours.

Anyway, Callanetics gives great results but recently (after about 10 hours) I have been losing motivation, and am getting a bit bored with the workout (it gets quite repetitive and I find I don't do it as well if I do it from memory as when I take the time to do everything slowly by following the dvd).

Any advice ?

xxx
  • DaveDeLange
    Options
    I'm surprised callanetics isn't more popular, given how effective it is.

I have been weight training for many years, and was looking for a type of exercise to stretch the muscles. Callanetics is perfect for this. It is so good for flexibility and for the back and joints. I don't know of any other men who do it but who cares, it works for me.

I've memorised the movements and just have a list of them I printed out to work from.

Lulubeber, as for getting bored during the exercises...what I do is put something good on the tv and just watch it while I do callanetics. The exercises are quite relaxing anyway and the time soon passes!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I just found out about Callanetics - I need something gentle, controlled and precise to help my stabilizers, and thought this might be an alternative to Pilates. Thinking about doing the beginner's one, because that one apparently has the substitutions for people with joint issues.

This video cracked me up, but what the heck, she was 47 here! Obviously genetically gifted (not everyone's a dancer for a reason), but it seems like a lot of people credit the program with changing their bodies, which I didn't expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNqe6o1nzPY
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it before! But I just found an hour workout video on youtube so I'm gonna do that today because all my muscles hurt rn so stretching would probably help ;)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    My mom had the VHS in the 80s. I did it when I was in high school because it is absolutely fantastic for stretching. I'd assume that the calorie burn is going to be minimal. There's a "mild stretching" entry in the database. MFP tends to overestimate calories burned, so I wouldn't put too much stock in that number. Also, a heart rate monitor isn't going to give you an accurate burn for this type of thing.
  • RavenStar1
    RavenStar1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love Callanetics! I have had the DVD forever but just started doing it. You watch it and don't think it'll be hard but it is quite a workout!
  • kazr11
    kazr11 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I used to do it and have literally just started again. Have you started to notice a difference? How many times a week are you doing it? I am not quite sure how to log as exercise. Thinking today or Pilates? Good luck
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    :) Surprised to see this pop up.

Yes, I do it. I actually had the book and VHS. Wish I still had the book, but now just have the DVD. I pretty much have it memorized.
    kazr11 wrote: »
    I used to do it and have literally just started again. Have you started to notice a difference? How many times a week are you doing it? I am not quite sure how to log as exercise. Thinking today or Pilates? Good luck

Noticed a difference? Absolutely do which is why I've kept it around so long.

Times a week? Really I've only been doing the first half or so for awhile...at least 3 times a week. I really need to get a sturdy chair for some of it. Used to have a good one, but didn't move it.

Logging? I don't log exercise really, so no help there. I have a tracker linked that just logs everything as walking, though I do more vigorous things. Don't think the calorie burn is likely to be much though. You could use yoga if you like.

ETA: since I've got it memorized I don't actually put the DVD on most of the time...just listen to music.
  • arcticgirl22
    arcticgirl22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did the original VHS back in college and loved the results. I recently purchased the original, the remake and AM/PM for my iPad. Just tried the AM today. Great to be back! I know that the calorie burn can't be high, but that's not what this workout it for. Can't wait to see the shaping results!
  • jmormur
    jmormur Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This post motivated me. I just purchased the DVD on Amazon. I remember my mom having the book many years ago.
  • Nightfly01
    Nightfly01 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ever since I tried callanetics when I was in high school, I have always made time to make it a part of my weekly workouts. The results are amazing, and very good for the back!
    For strength and improved flexibility it's great, pulls your fat in, in no time! However what's it like for a calorie burn? The most similar exercise I know is pillages or yoga.

For me I get bored with calisthenics and maybe because they are hard. I kind of enjoy lifting weights. I have a theory in that calisthenics are better for weight loss as being lighter makes calisthenics easier. There are some freaky fears of strength a few people can do just with there body.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    OMG thanks for this thread. I found this old VHS at a thrift store, used it with TREMENDOUS slimming effect on my body, then lost the tape in hurricane water damage. I looked all over for "calisthenics" and couldn't find it, not realizing obviously that the name on the tape was a spin on her first name.

I'm def going to order a DVD when I get back from vacation.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Nightfly01 wrote: »

For me I get bored with calisthenics and maybe because they are hard. I kind of enjoy lifting weights. I have a theory in that calisthenics are better for weight loss as being lighter makes calisthenics easier. There are some freaky fears of strength a few people can do just with there body.

This type of workout is something I would do in between weightlifting days, it gets spots weightlifting won't. I don't do weights daily, maybe 3 times a week. As I get more fit and have the energy I'm able to add cardio only on alternate days, or if not feeling great for cardio, I'll mix in pilates. I'm so happy for this thread since I remember callanetics as working SO effectively on my core that I finally looked awesome in my waistline without sucking it in on purpose.

I don't think this type of exercise, like yoga, pilates, or even weightlifting, has a huge amount of calorie burn like cardio does. The movements are so slow and controlled. You may have the "afterburn" though. On days I do an hour of pilates I count it as no more then 150 calories, and not really enough for me to "eat back".

What it DOES to is shape your body.
  • Walls2011
    Walls2011 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, just found this thread. I've been doing it for years, am a big fan.
  • lesama1216
    lesama1216 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I, too, just found this thread. I've done callanetics off and on since my mother introduced me to it as a kid. I am 41 now.