Best bodyweight routine for beginners?

Options
I workout at home quite a bit and I was wondering what the best bodyweight routine is? Or any tips or tricks to working out at home? I do not have any equipment (yet) besides a stationary bike.

Replies

• EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Not really my specialty. I use bodywieght routine for HIIT and warm-ups.

however, I looked around and found this site: https://fitloop.co/
    comes with a video, explanation, a routine, and you choose your level.

here is more: http://i.imgur.com/4WpVbOW.png
    or here: http://i.imgur.com/swekkbH.png

I do blogilates on youtube as a balancing and for my core work, so you can always utilize youtube videos.

Find something you can improve on and steadily work on without quitting. that's the key.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I could go on forever about bodyweight routines, I have a thousand, but I'll give you one that I've been doing while studying abroad.
    (fyi there is no "best" that's entirely too subjective, I just like this one a lot and it's easy to modify)
    warm up with 10-15 minutes on your stationary bike (or run 1 mile).

There are 5 sets of Tabata-style intervals: 20 seconds work with 10 seconds rest. Set the timer for 8 rounds (you can google online tabata timers). It'll come out to 4 minutes per set. There are 2 exercises per set and you alternate each one every time the timer beeps.
    1) 4 mountain climbers + 1 pushup/ /Squat (or jump squat)
    2) High knees/ /Pushup, jump feet to hands, jump out
    3) Burpees or squat-thrust/ /lunges (or jump lunges)
    4) 4 jumping jacks, 4 wide squats (squat jumps)/ /4 plank jacks, 4 mt climbers
    5) Heisenberg/ /pike pushups

Heisenbergs are like high knees--jump to one foot, pull the other up to your chest and squeeze your core, then jump to other foot.

By doing 5 sets of 4 minutes, you've got a 20 minute workout. It goes by fast.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Go find the book: Convict Conditioning.

Seriously, it's the best routing for a beginner to follow. Once you've gotten very comfortable with it and you want some variety, you can start switching it up with the book: You Are Your On Gym.
  • Castiel22
    Castiel22 Posts: 33
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the help. I am excited to try your suggestions. :) thank you again.
  • Patti1023
    Patti1023 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Buy P90x3 cheap on Craigslist or ebay. Its a very good program primarily using body weight and resistance bands, It takes around 30 min a day.
  • TheWorstHorse
    Options

Seriously, it's the best routing for a beginner to follow. Once you've gotten very comfortable with it and you want some variety, you can start switching it up with the book: You Are Your On Gym.

^ this is exactly the advice i would offer, too. cc is a great, if cheesy, introduction to bw exercising.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I would look up Adrian Bryant and NowLoss.com. Very simple, but effective bodyweight exercises...and he has some good workouts using things like broomsticks and bedsheets...things you would have around the house. Sometimes the simple stuff ends up being very effective.
  • derik999
    derik999 Posts: 73
    Options

I'll throw in another vote for CC. It is progressive so you start out with a version of each exercise that pretty much anyone can do and you build from there.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    OP thanks for poster. I am bumping for future reference. Many thanks everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • SaddyPants
    SaddyPants Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions everyone! Thanks for posting, op. :)
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I used the book/app "you are your own gym" and really enjoyed that (As much as I can enjoy exercise). Lost motivation but keem to get back into it!
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options

This is the one I started out with :)
  • luvmylabz
    luvmylabz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bump