how to get back into lifting

Options
i did weight training for 2 months and then stopped because i didnt see any changes in weight or measurements and even felt weaker for some odd reason. im thinking of giving it another shot but have no motivation to. i dont want to add any more muscle but i want to keep my existing lean muscle. any tips?

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    what kind of weight training did you do?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    you say that you don't want to add muscle, so you probably won't since you're a girl, and if you maintain a calorie deficit, you won't be putting on tons of muscle in the manner of a few weeks.

what you might see is you getting stronger, and some slight definition which would be the result of burning some body fat.

but to get back into lifting, you just go lift. be very very conservative in the weights you start with. track everything in a notebook, and aim to progress a little every week.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    any tips?

Stick with it for longer than two months
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    i did weight training for 2 months and then stopped because i didnt see any changes in weight or measurements and even felt weaker for some odd reason. im thinking of giving it another shot but have no motivation to. i dont want to add any more muscle but i want to keep my existing lean muscle. any tips?

What was your diet like? what was your routine like? what did you sleep like?

Needs more info.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

What was your diet like? what was your routine like? what did you sleep like?

Needs more info.

^This, it would be almost impossible to advise you without a bit more info, but the feeling weaker to me is a point of concern. But if you are eating enough/sleeping enough etc. then the only point I could add would be to pick one of the lifting programs like strong lifts or NROL, do your reading and study and stick with it.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    We don't know anything about your routine, but even based on what little you said, we do know that you didn't stick with it long enough to see results. It takes longer than 2 months.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I would tell you blow it off. Without any motivation you're not going to get much out of it. Wait until you're motivated and excited, and then you'll give it the effort required to see results.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Try a good dose of perseverance
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I was following stronglifts compound movements but wouldn't be able.to add 5 ounds each session, so id add 10 every week. There would be days I ate at a small deficitbut would mainly and still do eat maintenance. However I have found that I don't consume enough protein and if I do, I go over my limit. Btw I am 115 pounds, 26 f, and 5'0
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Hoestly my only goal is to have a flat stomach get rid ot the fat there and not have it jiggle.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I was following stronglifts compound movements but wouldn't be able.to add 5 ounds each session, so id add 10 every week. There would be days I ate at a small deficitbut would mainly and still do eat maintenance. However I have found that I don't consume enough protein and if I do, I go over my limit. Btw I am 115 pounds, 26 f, and 5'0

Protein is a minimum. What do you mean "go over your limit?"

If you can't go up 5 pounds every workout, try going up in reps then increase the weight when you can do 10 reps in the last set. There's no time limit on SL 5x5. You don't have to follow the program exactly. Tweak it to fit your abilities.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    If it were me....... I would eat at maintenance and not worry about maintaining a deficit. And you need to be eating enough protein. I also would not worry about not being able to add 5 pounds to the bar every workout as long as you are pushing yourself. Given your current stats, the only thing you need to see the results you want is PATIENCE. Small changes, given enough time will get you where you want to be.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

i don't know stronglifts (i follow 5/3/1 when i lift) but you're not really supposed to add five pounds each session. on the leg lifts you might be able to add 5-10 pounds every week, but on the upper body you might be adding 5 every other week.
  • lrob79
    lrob79 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

i don't know stronglifts (i follow 5/3/1 when i lift) but you're not really supposed to add five pounds each session. on the leg lifts you might be able to add 5-10 pounds every week, but on the upper body you might be adding 5 every other week.

This is not correct, on stronglifts you are supposed to add 5lbs every session, but if you can not finish your 5 sets, you do not add, until you are able to finish 5 sets.

Adding 10 lbs per week is not a good idea for stronglifts, the idea is to increase gradually, so a 10lb increase would be too much for the program.

Your best bet is to just add 5lbs whenever you can finish all 5 sets of an exercise at a weight.
  • jrniven
    jrniven Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Not to be a sarcastic jerk but go pick up the weights, and put them down. It will remind you how good you feel doing it, and how good it makes you feel over time. Then go find a routine you like, and do that. If you don't like it, then you wont do it.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options

What is a "small deficit" and what are the NET cals you normally consume?

With Stronglifts, if you're a total beginner, you might find 5x5 to be too much volume when you start adding plates. You might have found you can go 5x5 with the empty bar with good form, stack 5lbs on next session and go 5x5 with good form, but the next session you're barely managing. It's a combination of too much volume on not enough food. You'd likely need a calorie surplus in order to continue making progress after a while.

I'd suggest still following the program, if you like it, but just going 3x5 instead and coming back for more advice when you hit a bodyweight squat. And get your diet in order. Nobody can see what it is, so either tell us more or go and look at the stickies.