Lean Ground Beef

We're really careful about meat that we eat. I usually only buy local/organic beef, chicken, etc. So, here's my question. I'm doing this diet thing...but my 2 year old and my 33 year old (husband) still need to eat. I took a lb of lean ground beef out for dinner, but what can I make that is healthy (yeah, I know, beef isn't all that healthy anyway...), tastes good, and will please everyone. Meatloaf? Burgers- I can do without the bun...HELP, please.

Replies

• We're really careful about meat that we eat. I usually only buy local/organic beef, chicken, etc. So, here's my question. I'm doing this diet thing...but my 2 year old and my 33 year old (husband) still need to eat. I took a lb of lean ground beef out for dinner, but what can I make that is healthy (yeah, I know, beef isn't all that healthy anyway...), tastes good, and will please everyone. Meatloaf? Burgers- I can do without the bun...HELP, please.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Lean is probably better for your hubby anyway, I have slowly made the transition from ground beef to ground turkey and everyone likes it.

I usually used ground beef for burgers or meatballs. I like making the meatballs because I can use the meatballs for two meals, spaghetti and meatball sandwiches. Everyone makes meatballs and meatloaf different but I leave out any milk and use only egg whites instead of a whole egg. I figure every little bit counts.

Also, stuffed peppers, sautee an onion and a garlic glove add the ground beef and brown then add you marinara sauce of choice or just tomatoes and some seasoning, to this I add brown rice and then cook inside of red, yellow or orange bell peppers (they are sweeter than green) with a little bit of parmensan cheese on top and these make great leftovers too.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Lean ground meat tends to be a little dry after it's cooked so I add a little bit of barbeque sauce before making patties, along with chopped onion and bell peppers. You can either pan fry or broil or bake. I like to pan fry them in non stick spray and cook them until they are a little crunchy on the outside and done all the way on the inside. Also you could make spaghetti with wheat pasta instead of white, that helps too.

Happy eating!!!

Charlaine
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    We have cut out a lot of stuff in my house. We rarely use ground beef. We use ground turkey. I am using ground beef on Thurs. nights dinner. We are having burgers. First I would like to say..
    Don't cook you something different than what you are making your family. Cook healthy and everybody eat it. I have a 3 year and a almost 13 year old and my husband who are also benefiting from the better foods.
    Use a smaller plate and you enjoy.

I made meat balls the other night that came out great the other night. I used equal amounts of stuffing as meat.
    1 zuc grated
    1 lg carrot grated
    1 white onion chopped
    1/2 red onion chopped
    1/2 bell pepper chopped
    3 slices of whole grain bread toasted well and chopped
    3 cloves of garlic chopped
    1 tbls sugar free maple syrup
    1 tbls thyme
    1 tbls basil
    2 tbls fresh parsley
    1 cup chopped fresh spinage
    1 tble cuman
    1/2 tble garlic granules
    mix it up really good and add about 1/2 pound ground turkey or ground beef.

make into balls and bake at 350 for 20 min. Depending on the size of your meat balls.
    Make with pasta or make into sandwich.
    They are really good and my kids love them. They will grab them out of the fridge and snack on them,
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Italian Mini Meatloaves

1 - 1 1/2 lbs ground sirloin (or leaner) or groun chicken breast/turkey
    1 medium yellow onion chopped
    1/2 green bell pepper chopped
    3-4 cloves garlic chopped
    1/4 parsley chopped
    1 whole egg (or 2 egg whites)
    1/2 cup bread crumbs (italian okay)
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (can substitute more breadcrumbs)
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    Salt
    Pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Seperate mixture into 4-6 "mini loaves". Place on a cooking sheet. Sprinkle extra virgin olive oil over the sheet and loaves (or coat sheet first with non-stick spray). Bake in oven for 20 minutes. Serve with a fresh green salad or whatever other vegetables you enjoy.
  • Try using half ground beef and half ground turkey. Make burgers on the grill, meatloaf, chili, pasta sauce, etc. I am telling you that the husband and the kids will NEVER know the difference and you'll be doing them a favor by getting some of the fat out of their lives, too. Best of luck!