I just can't seem to get enough calories in a day!

Options
I use to struggle with an eating disorder back in high school. I only went with like, 700-800 calories and worked out for about 5 to 6 hours every day. I had myself down to a drastically low weight and my doctor begged me to gain weight. I am a runner now and do stick to a healthy diet. Even though at times, like most of us, I do tend to want something unhealthy. It happens, right?

People tell me I'm thin and athletic so it wouldn't hurt me. I mean, I run for over an hour each day and work my *kitten* off at the gym. But the problem, I can never seem to get myself up to 2000 calories in a day. Like today, I wasn't even thinking of calories because I was out with my family and enjoying a good time. I treated myself.

Healthy breakfast:

Oatmeal with berries a banana and a little soy milk.

Snack:

An apple

Dinner:

Tuna melt with some potato chips

and two small pieces of pizza.

All together I got up to 1370.

Seriously why is it so damn hard for me to get higher than that? Anyone have a reason. Since I run and workout I burn about 1700 calories typically each morning. You think if I do keep this up I will lose weight? Or will I stay the same.

Replies

• Dube11
    Dube11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You didn't eat any lunch?

If you're having trouble getting enough calories, just add some rice or noodles. They're both over 200 calories for 1 cup cooked.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    eat more food :wink:

eggs, chicken, pork, nuts, avocadoes, cheese, bread, pasta, rice, beef, legumes, ice cream, pop tarts, bananas, yogurt, milk, pita, lamb, trout, salmon, etc.

you could also check out people's diaries who eat 2K to see what they eat

also are you saying you burn 1700 calories when you work out?!
  • gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    Try dense calorie food, make some protein bars? some not so terrible sweet snacks. more bread/rice. Make smoothies with a couple of bananas
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you want to lose 19 lbs, but you are already "thin and athletic", and your profile pic doesn't look like a person who could do with losing any weight.

I'm a bit confused as to what your goals are? With your restrictive ED history, maybe you need to talk to your doctor first? x
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Try dense calorie food, make some protein bars? some not so terrible sweet snacks. more bread/rice. Make smoothies with a couple of bananas

This_Dean.gif
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    that's very little protein for breakfast, so definitely not a healthy breakfast - especially considering how active you are. and no lunch at all - nothing but an apple between lunch and dinner? you could easily throw in 500 calories for lunch, and your body will thank you. you have an eating disorder, one that could become very serious if you don't deal with it :(
  • AusteenaHayes
    Options
    Well I know I have more lean muscle but I really want to prove to myself that I can lose weight without starving or throwing up like I use to. I need to just prove to myself that I can do that.
  • beccag28
    beccag28 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Best to talk to a doctor or nutritionist :)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Well I know I have more lean muscle but I really want to prove to myself that I can lose weight without starving or throwing up like I use to. I need to just prove to myself that I can do that.

You probably shouldn't be doing that on your own. Just saying.
    You have an ED history, you can't meet your calorie goals on your own, and you skipped an entire meal and logged 700 calories under what you should be.

You need to talk to your doctor and any other health professionals necessary to monitor you.
  • AusteenaHayes
    Options
    Any way I can talk to someone like that free? Online maybe? I cannot spend that much on something like that at the moment because I am currently going to community college and looking for a part-time/full-time job.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Do you have health insurance (even through your college) or Obama Care? Shouldn't it be free to talk to a GP already?

ETA: I'm from Canada so if I'm wrong, just ignore me. It's "free" for us. If you get a referral from a GP then the nutritionist would also be free...
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Any way I can talk to someone like that free? Online maybe? I cannot spend that much on something like that at the moment because I am currently going to community college and looking for a part-time/full-time job.

I don't know. But I honestly wouldn't suggest using the internet/strangers for this. You really need to work with professionals that you can meet with one-on-one.

I would suggest doing research in your area. Or seeing what your insurance will cover. As the above poster said above, some colleges offer health insurance to their students if they do not have a comparable health plan, and it is affordable. I don't know how CC works, but I know my 4 year university offers coverage for $1,200/year....which is a heck of a lot less than what you would pay in normal insurance premiums.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Famous last words. I've done it myself. I thought I could lose a few pounds and I'd be OK as I'd been managing my anorexia for quite a while. A few months later I was underweight, under eating, over-exercising and trapped, once again, in ED hell. You are playing with fire here in the same way that an alcoholic would be wanting to prove to themselves that they can drink alcohol in moderation. Not worth it.
  • AusteenaHayes
    Options
    I see your point. But I use to only log in 700 calories and burn over 2000 each day back in high school. Even though I burn around 1700 or more each day I get about 1300, 1400 each day. Shouldn't that count for something?
  • orlandogirl97
    orlandogirl97 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    a handful of nuts....
  • AusteenaHayes
    Options
    I can understand why you guys feel I shouldn't be trying to count calorie to lose weight. But wen I use this app to los weight I don't feel that incredible urge to overdose on laxatives or diet pills. Seriously once I began using this app again I haven't used laxatives since, and I have gotten back on this weight loss diet plan with this app two weeks ago and feel great.