Eating too little...

Options
Ok so my recommended calorie goal is around 2300. But right now I'm only eating between 1400-1800 calories per day...I just don't feel hungry enough to eat more. Is this going to hurt my weight loss? I'd eat if I were hungrier, but I'm just not hungry (this is coming from someone who frequently would overeat, so it's not like I've always eaten sensibly).

Replies

• Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    If you're definitely not hungry, then you shouldn't force yourself to eat.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Try to add more calorie dense food to your plan. Natural peanut butter, nuts, and avacados are all healthy options that pack a few more calories to help you add some each day.
  • tomikadixon
    Options
    1800 Calories a day is fine for weight loss. Never heard of anyone going into starvation mode from that! Your body knows when its full. Thats how we all got into this situation in the first place, ignoring our bodies. You should be fine. Look at some calculators for weight loss online that tell u how many calories u need to lose weight the healthy way and talk to your doctor.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

The above link is a VERY good explanation of where your particular healthy deficit should be.

Long story short, the more weight you have to lose, the larger your deficit can be. I highly recommend the above link, though...MFP is a "one size fits all" tool, and you may need to tweak it for your individual needs.
    :flowerforyou:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Your ticker shows that you have a significant amount of weight to lose, so you are probably good. But keep close track and see where you are over/under, the ratio of proteins/carbs/fats is important. You don't want all your calories from carbs or fats or too much protein. If you are exercising, calories are effected as well. 2300 per day seems really high IMO, unless you are really kicking it up exercise wise.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I thought 2300 seemed SUPER high....that's with no exercise added in! I just adjusted my goals to where I want to lose 2 lbs per week (I have no exercise factored into the goals part) so now my recommended is 1800 something, which seems more reasonable to me for eating purposes.