Help! Going to a work party/potluck

PepsiGal
PepsiGal Posts: 85 Member
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
I need advice! We're going to my hubby's belated holiday party today (I know....it's way past the holidays now, stupid huh? ). I'm nervous because they're having deep-fried turkey and bunch of side dishes. I'm planning on portion control, but should I avoid the turkey? Will it be okay to eat if I take all the skin off? Will a sliver of pumpkin pie hurt? I've already lost 3 lbs since January 3rd and don't want to get off track.

Replies

• Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    It's only one day right!?
    Eat what you want. But not over the top.
  • The turkey will be fine, just don't eat the skin and try to eat the meat that was most inside the turkey while it was frying (least expposed to the oil). You may want to try to limit the pumpkin pie a bit, at least don't eat the crust? Cranberry sauce is OK, as long as you aren't being very strict with your carbs/sugars. Eat lots of veggies, and try ti avoid the side dishes that are primarily bread or creamy sauces, and you'll be fine. Lots of veggies and turkey and small portions of the bad (aka yummy!) stuff.
  • consrvtvmom
    consrvtvmom Posts: 19 Member
    If there is something there that is a real trigger food, I wouldn't eat it. Take the skin off the turkey and enjoy smaller portions of other things. You can do it.
  • I'm no expert....but here's my advice. I wouldn't eat the turkey. If it's deep-fried, then it's soaked with oil.....and I personally wouldn't eat it. But the best thing I can tell you is.....eat what you want. All of us should be watching portion sizes.....or we'll all balloon up and gain tons of weight, but also remember......if you exercise you can burn off what you eat!! Calories in = Calories out (burned). If you want to eat more today, but are feeling guilty.....just do more exercise tonight when you get home. Good Luck!!:smile:
  • Tahoebears
    Tahoebears Posts: 2 Member
    I find that if I'm going out to eat, if I have half of an Atkins bar or about 15 almonds with a full glass of water before leaving home it gives me a full stomach feeling that helps me to control my eating later.

To play it safe, eat the innermost meat of the turkey --- no skin. Stay away from sugars/carbs and eat lots of vegetables. A few bites of pumpkin pie is not bad and will allow you to feel like you didn't restrict yourself. ENJOY!
This discussion has been closed.