Any advice on my fat loss / muscle gain plan?

Options
Height: 164cm (5 ft 4.5 in)

Weight: 155ish

Exercise Regime:
Body Pump (60 mins) - 3 times a week
Body Combat (60 mins) - 3 times a week

Daily lifestyle: mostly desk job but walking at least 2.5 - 3 miles a day for transportation purposes (in addition to the workouts i do)

Calorie intake: 1900cals/day (with 170+ grams of protein per day)

I am looking to lose about 0.5 ~ 1 pound / week

Any advice?

Thank you!!!

Replies

• cjl2535
    cjl2535 Posts: 89
    Options
    anyone ? :)
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    It looks good to me. Every weight loss plan usually takes some personal adjustments. Also, and this is purely a terminology issue, but you're not going to really *gain* muscle during this process. You can absolutely gain strength, but the muscles themselves aren't going to grow in a significant way while you are restricting calories, but you should still absolutely work them as you want to maintain what muscle you do have.

I'm not familiar with the body pump/combat programs, but I started my fitness goals with P90X back in July of last year. I eventually moved to a heavy lifting program (i.e. with free weights and a barbell) which is something you may want to look in to as it is what you will find many successful women on this site recommend for shaping the physique.
  • Bambi8137
    Bambi8137 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you burn doing body pump? I've taken it once and was so sore the next day! But I wasn't as sweaty as I nomarlly am when taking Zumba or kick boxing. Just want to know if it's the same effect
  • cjl2535
    Options
    It looks good to me. Every weight loss plan usually takes some personal adjustments. Also, and this is purely a terminology issue, but you're not going to really *gain* muscle during this process. You can absolutely gain strength, but the muscles themselves aren't going to grow in a significant way while you are restricting calories, but you should still absolutely work them as you want to maintain what muscle you do have.

I'm not familiar with the body pump/combat programs, but I started my fitness goals with P90X back in July of last year. I eventually moved to a heavy lifting program (i.e. with free weights and a barbell) which is something you may want to look in to as it is what you will find many successful women on this site recommend for shaping the physique.

Oh I see! I was looking into heavy lifting programs myself actually but I really don't know where to start :(
    Would you mind telling me some of your lifting routines? or any tips at all?
    I was looking into Stronglifts 5x5 and contemplating it
  • cjl2535
    Options
    How many calories do you burn doing body pump? I've taken it once and was so sore the next day! But I wasn't as sweaty as I nomarlly am when taking Zumba or kick boxing. Just want to know if it's the same effect

I'm actually not sure about the calories...I just do it for the toning and definition :D
  • Bambi8137
    Options
    What do you normally put on your bar. I put the smallest ones on there because It was my first day. I want to step it up tomorrow.
  • cjl2535
    Options
    What do you normally put on your bar. I put the smallest ones on there because It was my first day. I want to step it up tomorrow.

Warm-up: 3.5kg on each side of the bar
    Squats: 10kg on each side
    Chest: 6kg on each side
    Back 7.5kg on each side
    Biceps: 3.5kg on each side
    Triceps: 5kg on each side
    Lunges: 5kg on each side
    Shoulder: 5kg on each side

I always put on as much weight so that I'm out of breath and literally shaking due to fatigue :P
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend strong lifts for a starting lifting program, but totally get it feeling a little intimidating when you're new to lifting. I'm not a member of the group myself, but I know if you search the groups there's a strong lifts group for women that some of my friends are members of and you can get some great advice to help you get started that way.

To start with, you should only be lifting with the bar to get your form nailed down, but the idea with strong lifts is that you increase your weights each session until you max out, but only go up by five pounds each session, form is more important than weight. From starting with the empty bar in February, this is where I'm at now:

Over head press: 75 lbs
    Bench press: 115 lbs
    Squats: 125 lbs
    Deadlift: 155 lbs

I've switched to a 5/3/1 program for the summer, but that was purely a schedule preference, Strong Lifts is an excellent starting program.
  • Bambi8137
    Options
    :-( I'm embarrassed lol. I was shaking just with the little weights. But once I get it down I'll be up there with you.. She goes so fast though! Geez
  • cjl2535
    Options
    :-( I'm embarrassed lol. I was shaking just with the little weights. But once I get it down I'll be up there with you.. She goes so fast though! Geez

Haha, don't be embarassed! When I first started I was like that too D: But you'll get there!!! I couldn't agree with you more =/ During my first few classes the transition time seemed crazy fast @_@
  • cjl2535
    Options
    I highly recommend strong lifts for a starting lifting program, but totally get it feeling a little intimidating when you're new to lifting. I'm not a member of the group myself, but I know if you search the groups there's a strong lifts group for women that some of my friends are members of and you can get some great advice to help you get started that way.

To start with, you should only be lifting with the bar to get your form nailed down, but the idea with strong lifts is that you increase your weights each session until you max out, but only go up by five pounds each session, form is more important than weight. From starting with the empty bar in February, this is where I'm at now:

Over head press: 75 lbs
    Bench press: 115 lbs
    Squats: 125 lbs
    Deadlift: 155 lbs

I've switched to a 5/3/1 program for the summer, but that was purely a schedule preference, Strong Lifts is an excellent starting program.

Thank you soooo much!!! I will definitely do more research on Stronglifts :) Should I replace BodyPump with Stronglifts in your opinion ?