SAHM

Options
Im a stay at home mom that lives in an upstairs apt. and have neighbors below us that gripe and complain from us just walking I need to work out very bad I have the wii ea sports active but everytime I do it they call the cops and the office saying were to loud so i have had to give that up. I need to learn some quiet and effective workouts any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Needless to say I can't wait to get our house in may so i can actually get in a good hard workout session.

Replies

• AllisonMarisa
    AllisonMarisa Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I lived in an upstairs apartment and I just asked my downstairs neighbor their schedule. I told them I wanted to workout, but didn't want to bother them with the noise. Turns out they had a fairly consistent schedule for leaving the house. It seemed to work out OK, and made it all a bit more peaceful!
  • AllisonMarisa
    AllisonMarisa Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    But to address your question, what about doing some yoga? They make some great at-home videos.
  • lanie13
    lanie13 Posts: 55
    Options
    get the wii fit if you have a wii. the balance board won't make that much noise. and may i suggest zumba wii? :)
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Allison's suggestion is great. But if that doesn't work, you may just need to go for walks or jogs outside. Take the little one(s) along in the stroller. Good luck! Sorry your neighbors are so difficult. Calling the police is excessive in my opinion.
  • ♡MyCurves
    ♡MyCurves Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Well my first thought are go outside & get a workout. U can't use that exercise....like aerobics will upset the downstairs neighbors as an excuse...soo I say go outside if it would bug u that much to know they'd b bothered by it. Start walking and maybe add some other things like pushups or sprints along the way...GL
  • ♡MyCurves
    ♡MyCurves Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Ok & I just read they call the cops?! WOW...nice way 2 abuse the system
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Allison's idea is something to consider but like the other moms said- go outside or do yoga. People knock down yoga a lot but once you try it you'll be in for a surprise- I got the Biggest Loser Yoga with Bob. What you can also do, is walk up and down those stairs at your apartment for 40 minutes. I do the aerobic steps here at my house with 3.3lb weights and it burns nice calories.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Ok & I just read they call the cops?! WOW...nice way 2 abuse the system

Right...
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    agree calling the cops is excessive so makes me wonder that any compromise could be reached, but I'd try it, explain what you are trying to do and see if they have a consistent time when they are not there. Otherwise, plank work, pushups, plank twists, crunches, all that horrible mat work , leg liftts etc. . will tone your muscles and not make noise. If the weather permits a walk with the kiddos is a great idea too. The Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones has very little jumping and you could leave it out, it has all those exercises I was just saying. Good Luck and hope you can work something out until you get your house!!
  • TampaMom
    Options
    Yoga or Pilates are great alternatives that you might really enjoy. I agree it would be good to find out when the neighbor is gone so you can do other exercises too. Don't let the downstairs neighbor get you too stressed, cortisol and stress levels that are increased can be counter productive to you losing weight. Think of all the ideas and support you have now to get you to your goal! :)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    alot of the malls have mall walking where they open up the mall before the stores open so that you can use the mall for walking without having people in your way (this is nice when the weather is cold and rainy) when the weather is nice you can go for walks. I also agree to try to find out when they are gone , if they have a pretty consistent schedule. Is their a friend that maybe you can get together with at her house and do workout tapes together. You also might want to get one of those portable pedal things they look like bicycle pedals and you can sit and pedal while watching tv also you can use it for your arms. (it is nice for people that dont have room for a stationary bike). I hope this helps, soon you will have your house
  • BlissfullyMe
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! I have tried to communicate with the neighbors downstairs the wife is actually really nice its the grumpy husband that has the problem and unfortunately he stays home everyday all day lol he just doesnt understand what its like to have a 4 yr old in the apt she is gonna be loud from time to time. We do get outside as much as possible we live on a lake so we usually take walks around the lake its just been a bit cold latley. Ive also been trying to get the apartment managers to fix the fitness center. we have our own community small gym with a couple treadmills but unfortunatley it was all trashed about 6 months back and they have yet to take care of it. Today ive decided I just dont care anymore about the neighbor he can handle a little noise for an hour :) The Cops are actually getting tired of him complaining and they have expressed that to him.