What if I stopped counting calories...

Options
Hi! I am feeling pretty discouraged as tonight I kind of ate an entire bowl of salty yummy chips. They were so good, but I am feeling ill and it put me 1500 calories over MAINTENANCE. I seem to have this trend... I am wondering, and someone, please be honest with me... is it possible that counting calories is making me eat MORE? I wonder if I cut out calorie counting if I would indeed eat less... any thoughts?

Thanks!

Replies

• _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Honestly....... If you are overweight, the answer is probably not. You most likely gained the weight not counting.

I have seen a few people on here though that counting caused them to over obsess on food. Maybe try.....

A: log your day ahead of time and stick to it.

B: watch what you eat (portions) and log at the end of the day, this way you can see what is happening vs what you think is happening.

C: just write the day off and start fresh, logging is easy once it becomes a habit.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Log it accurately & honestly, then move on. Logging works.

Eat "good" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

The Sexypants post should be required reading for all MFPers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, you had a loss this morning! A whole pound! The counting is working. I know i'ts weird to think about food so much in the beginning, and if it's really making you feel bad then you can stop. You can always stop. It's your choice. Absolutely.

But what you're doing IS working. So I say brush this off, and keep up the good work. It's ok.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Initially being so in touch with food seemed to have me thinking about it all the time. But I've dropped mucho lbs counting calories, I'd rather figure out a way to make the whole situation work. It's definitely worth it!

Some of us prefer to keep certain items out of the house, if we know we'll be tempted to eat the whole container, whereas others can keep ice cream in the house and only have a half cup every night (what is their secret?!). Keeping the item out of the house doesn't mean never eating it. You can still purchase a single serving at a time when you have a craving
  • seekingjoyandfitness
    Options
    Sweetie, you had a loss this morning! A whole pound! The counting is working. I know i'ts weird to think about food so much in the beginning, and if it's really making you feel bad then you can stop. You can always stop. It's your choice. Absolutely.

But what you're doing IS working. So I say brush this off, and keep up the good work. It's ok.

Thank you, I. Am just mad at myself because I overate by so much!!!! :(
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    you don't have to count calories to lose weight, but you do have to eat less calories
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Apparently, since you count yet not limit your calories, it would make no difference.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    counting can get tiresome…i understand. but i always gain when i stop..even though each time i do.. i think i can do okay and stop.

also…when i coulnt..i often go over..but it keeps me on track and i lose. So..stick with it…
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Apparently, since you count yet not limit your calories, it would make no difference.

I think it helps to:

Keep the habit

Have hard data for what works and what doesn't work to satisfy you (food)

Have hard data on food consumed vs weight loss / gain
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    :smile:

Try counting carbs instead.
  • DanceswithWow
    Options
    I dont know about you but to me you seem to recording yesterdays news..which is again continues to result in failure and fighting the discipline that fuels free will.

To me a food diary records in hindsight and blind sight.. Your instincts are correct.. recording daily is forcing you to hold on to feelings of resentment and retaliate subconsciously .

Dieting is simply trying to reconcile your own hierarchy of needs by turning off a learning relationship wit your body.

You have yet to establish forward momentum as you keep succumbing to that negative inner voice then committing them repetitious memory..

The average joe who desires to be healthy is modeling after the wrong basis for discipline.. The program you are trying to follow relates to a person who discipline is what I call contained..

a person with this kind of discipline will regardless of the hardship will put them selves through hell and back to prove self worth. They cant resist the idea they are up against and are doing battle with sheer willpower...

They brand it as there lifes calling to exert pit test and retest their physical equivalent..Your is not cut from the same cloth, although it looks neat and makes you feel like I tough enough it is not part of your DNA..

in fact..using a contained discipline mindset when your discipline is uncontained insures repeated failure..

You simply are unable to reconcile the constant emotional beating.
    Its to relentless and the skillset for it is the same as what top athletes use to get to he top..

ask your self will I become a skilled athlete even after i get in shape.will keep at it at all cost.. eat insects for protein if I have too be the best I can be..

. if the answer is no your discipline is very much uncontained.
    your approach therefore has to be unanimously different and redefined..

If you want to get to end of your journey intact with all the hairy raising battle scares..here is something I think you should consider

What is you could have at your disposal.. entire 30 days worth of eating process you create in advance just one time a month..

which would give you 29 or 28 days to see a head of time stop sticks that may could and often derail where you are trying to get to with your body.

what if you had a system in place that focuses not on every tiny morsel of food you put in your mouth but priorities your efforts for discipline you can achieve in reality and actually validate verify and authenticate. to the world.?

What if you used your plan to build food energy to help you get past self defeating behaviors instead of focusing on a calorie number which drains you instead of powering you life force.?

What if you had a plan that would allow you to save 343- days worth of time..knowing
    in advance for the entire year where possible counter fit food slip ups can occur, do occur and can before hand, be side stepped with potential fallout minimized..

Would you say that would be at least 300 times as effective than the plan under foot now thats absolutely defeating you now..?

Do you know your protein number ( Pn#).. Do you you know your replenishment index ( Rpndx%)

Do have any idea how your food frequency formula works and why its so important for the kind of a discipline you possess?

You are free falling with fitness..because its principals, its concepts, its focus does not apply to you.. its for another species of human endeavor and being entirely.

I am not here to focus on what was yesterdays fall from grace.. You dont want to make this an addiction to exertion fatigue or become a forever slave to the process.

millions are already in quick sand.. and none have a sturdy braided rope to pull you much less each other out...Even the so called fitness trainers do not possess the undert standing that their brand of know how..is toxic to your way of life..

Freind me..

your weight gain from the prescription pills needs some one who knows your system inside and out..

who know s how lipolytic enzymes work in 100% of the population and can teach your body how to get them to do what they are suppose to do..

just by rethinking your process.

My name is Dances with wow..
    I help people just like you command life force.. through fitness