Is there anyone who is 250+lbs that have done p90x?

Options
I bought it, and would really like to do it, im just scared my body can't handle it and i'm to out of shape. I'm going to do the biggest loser dvd the next 6 weeks to build up some stability, but i'm still unsure.

Replies

• crazynay96
    Options
    I tried it at 280 and it was too much. I will say I only gave it one chance and then I said no way but now that I'm under 250 and have more of a drive i think i'll go for it again. The key is knowing your body and what you can and can't handle and following the directions for toning it down. Its killer.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    you can do it as long as you know when to stop, they are also showing a lot of modifications to make the moves easier.
    Take pauses and try to build up your strength and resistance, as you dig into it, you will lose weight, do more reps etc...
    Important thing is to use a HRM to stay in your zone.

Another option is to do a short run of Power 90 before, it is a bit boring as you do 2 workouts 3 days each every week, but you do three weeks of level 1-2 then three of level 3-4 and you should be ready for the X.

Keep in mind that these workouts are one hour to one hour and a quarter, and if you have to pause a lot in the beginning you could be more in the one hour and a half.

Good luck!
  • diazmjd
    Options
    Yeah it will likely be too much. I'm in the process of dropping weight so that my knees and joints will be able to sustain the workouts. You could probably try some of the workouts like yoga and stretching. Even if you try you'll probably stop after a few days because there isn't really a break to give your body a period to recover then you'll never have a routine. If you're like me.
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I did my first round of P90X when I was 300+ lbs.

They are good about giving alternate methods of doing the exercise for people that have knee problems or aren't fit enough to keep up. They also tell you to do as much as you can but don't expect to be able to keep up with the instructors.

If you stick it out through the 90 days you will have lost weight but the main thing is that you'll be feel great and you'll have the energy/motivation to want to keep going.

The main thing is to protect your knees. When the exercises called for jumping, I'd step or march instead. I had to keep doing that until I lost enough weight.
  • lysydosully
    Options
    I did P90X last summer. I weighed 249 when I started and was at 220 when I finished. The first 3 weeks are killer, but I kept hitting play and was able to do about 85% of the workouts. Thought I was gonna die, but felt great when it was over. Got lazy and did it again this past spring. Went from 230 to 215. Now I'm at 220 and going to do it once more. It's hard, but worth it.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about it... was thinking of losing a little belly fat thru cardio before I do the strength training... my balance is way outta whack.
  • ashlytet
    Options
    I was reading some of the replies and another person talked about the modifications.This is my second round of P90X and I think P90X is for anyone, but you must change it up according to your body type and what you can handle, your body will tell you if something is too much so LISTEN to it. Also, changing your diet to what he suggests is optimum for best results and energy (I didn't do that the first time). But in the videos Tony always says "do you best and forget the rest". I personally like the videos because I found them more motivating then my personal trainer who pushed me, but I felt like a wuss at the gym around all the other jocks and such. i enjoy P90x because it is affordable (not having to pay a monthly membership). But remember, P90X is a good tool. Nobody is there to put you down on how much you do, its all about YOUR development. I am in moderate shape and the videos are even tough for me at first,. It gets better and it is something that everyone needs to work at regardless of their starting point. You will see progress. Good luck!
  • marmar306
    marmar306 Posts: 2
    Options
    i wanna start p90x im currently at 250 was once at 319 lowest point in my life hopefully i get the results im looking for
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I started at 314 and P90X rocked my world lol. I started in my very cautious manner and modified a lot. I focused on changing my relationship with food which was much harder than the exercise. You'll notice small improvements every week. Keep pushing ahead in a safe manner and you'll do fine. Feel free to add me if you'd like some extra support. I