What do you eat to meet your protein needs?

Options
Ok other than the protein shakes, and protein bars what do you eat to meat your protein needs?

Sometimes on the days that I am really hungry I usually eat a protein bar for a snack to hold me until lunch. Not everyday but it helps to have that option so that I do not go hit the vending machine.

I am looking more for protein snacks.

Thanks

Replies

• safetyscott
    safetyscott Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I use chicken breast...eggs....steak......beans....peanut / almond butter...tuna...many things
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Good question! I am not much of a meat eater, and nuts have soooo much fat and protein bars usually have lots of sugars... I would also LOVE to hear suggestions on this!
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The answer is generally meat. Anything else is chemically engineered, altered, full of sugar, etc etc. Meat, fish. Beans and eggs are decent sources.
  • lanadee
    lanadee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I carry whey protein powder with me :happy: and add it to sparkling water (33g). It is a low calorie quick fix that also takes away hunger.
    Then there is the usual cheese stick or hard boiled egg. Hope that helps! ;-)
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    i like kashi rolls....thier protein n fiber bars in one! 190 cals n like 12 in protien n 9 or something fiber
  • aimibean
    aimibean Posts: 243
    Options
    i usually have chicken!
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Good question! I am not much of a meat eater, and nuts have soooo much fat and protein bars usually have lots of sugars... I would also LOVE to hear suggestions on this!

I know that is why I am trying to stay away from them and eat other things that will give the protein that I need. But today it was the protein bar had no choice
  • Nazbuster
    Options
    I like hard boiled eggs (wHites only). Very few calories and lots of protein. If you can find an unsweetened, lean, low sodium beef pastrami, that works too. Chicken breast or turkey breast with salsa is good. Pretty much all packaged food has too much salt for me.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    The answer is generally meat. Anything else is chemically engineered, altered, full of sugar, etc etc. Meat, fish. Beans and eggs are decent sources.

Yeah but having meat for a snack does not sound good to me :smile:
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options

Dont disown the nut its an excellent option for protien and the fat content is not like your eating fried food its a good natural fat. Nuts are not unhealthy at all. I eat lots of almonds. I eat almonds every day.

Nuts, a Super good choice!
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I carry whey protein powder with me :happy: and add it to sparkling water (33g). It is a low calorie quick fix that also takes away hunger.
    Then there is the usual cheese stick or hard boiled egg. Hope that helps! ;-)

That is a good idea carrying protein powder
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Meat of all kinds (beef, turkey, chicken, fish - fresh and canned), eggs, Seitan (a vegetarian protein made primarily from gluten), yogurt and occasionally other milk products, legumes (lentils are especially good!) and legume products (like hummus), nuts (and nut products like PB). Probably others, but those are my top items.

Food diary is open - feel free to take a peek. I typically eat 100 to 130g of protein a day, usually without protein powder or protein "supplements" like bars & whatnot.
  • amycrims
    Options
    I am almost always way over my allowable protein. Tuna fish has a ton, I also eat egg whites and chicken a lot. Yogurt has protein but a favorite vegetarian choice is anything nut related, even coconut and South Beach Protein Bars- they're like my candy bar.
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    Basically what safetyscott said
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I like hard boiled eggs (wHites only). Very few calories and lots of protein. If you can find an unsweetened, lean, low sodium beef pastrami, that works too. Chicken breast or turkey breast with salsa is good. Pretty much all packaged food has too much salt for me.

You know I could boil some eggs in the morning and bring them for snacks that is a great idea thank you.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I use chicken breast...eggs....steak......beans....peanut / almond butter...tuna...many things

I can also bring some peanut butter and have it with celery sticks (never tried that but there is always a first time )
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

Yeah but having meat for a snack does not sound good to me :smile:

You'd be surprised - I used to think that too, but I've broadend my "snack" definition and now one of my favorite post-workout snacks is a tuna "pancake" - a can of tuna plus 1/4 cup egg whites and 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast, cooked like a pancake. A little bit of chicken in a wrap or something can make a great quick snack as well. It's okay to eat typical "meal" foods in smaller quantities for snacks.
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options

I know that is why I am trying to stay away from them and eat other things that will give the protein that I need. But today it was the protein bar had no choice

From the suggestions here, it really looks like being more carniverous may be the way to go. It's frustrating for me, as I usually don't find meat appealing in general.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options

Dont disown the nut its an excellent option for protien and the fat content is not like your eating fried food its a good natural fat. Nuts are not unhealthy at all. I eat lots of almonds. I eat almonds every day.

Nuts, a Super good choice!

I always bring almonds and eat them every day but I ran out
  • Thorneapple
    Options
    My protein snacks are: Whole almonds, hummus, hard boiled eggs, Kashi Granola bars, Kind bars, yogurt, or cottage cheese