Your opinions on Goodlife Les Mills Body Pump Classes?

Options
Hi everyone :D

I just wanted to ask how effective Body Pump classes will be....is it comparable to heavy lifting and toning/cutting down on body fat % ?

Would this be considered a lifting exercise ?

Replies

• Giribaldi
    Giribaldi Posts: 10
    Options
    I would like to hear about this too
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I would say yes, it's resistance exercise but no, it's not really 'heavy lifting', unless you really modify it. It's very high rep. It's fun and has value, for sure, if you like a group atmosphere with loud music and barbells. I think you could accomplish more in half the time on your own but some don't want to design their own program or follow a book or work alone.
  • mbernardy
    mbernardy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy BodyPump classes at the YMCA. They are challenging due to the high number of reps. But they are also quite fun!
  • WandaWoman41
    WandaWoman41 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just ordered body pump and I'm excited. I hope it's worth it
  • Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Body Pump classes at the YMCA, too. I like the music and the group. I started it so I could learn the proper form for moving into heavy lifting but I ended up working hard & having such a great time that I stayed.
  • cjl2535
    cjl2535 Posts: 89
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies :D but may i didn't phrase my question right.

I've been going to Goodlife Body Pump classes for a little over 2 months now and I do love it :D

but I'm just wondering if it is a good workout for toning/strengthening and whether or not it counts as "lifting" ?
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    This is my personal opinion only, but I do not consider BodyPump as heavy lifting. I do take the class twice a week and I love it! But I also have a well-designed 4 days lifting program that targets specific muscle groups. I have noticed that due to tempo and high repetition I cannot lift as heavy during BodyPump as I do outside of class. It's a super fun class though!
  • qstneverything
    qstneverything Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's considered more cardio than lifting due to the high reps, but I know so many (including myself but I'm a work in progress) who have toned up from Body Pump, so ignore the fitness snobs and do what works for you.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies :D but may i didn't phrase my question right.

I've been going to Goodlife Body Pump classes for a little over 2 months now and I do love it :D

but I'm just wondering if it is a good workout for toning/strengthening and whether or not it counts as "lifting" ?
    It depends what you mean by 'counts as lifting'. Do you mean does it count as resistance exercise, which is what the general recommendation for overall health calls for? Yes, it does. It does strengthen. Regarding 'toning'. see link below.

Is it 'heavy lifting'? No. You can't do dozens/hundreds of reps with what's considered 'heavy'. Heavy is usually defined as the weight you can lift with good form for 8-10 reps (or some variation, less than 15, for sure).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rebecca-mahoney/health-and-fitness_b_4888980.html
  • suzaka
    suzaka Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I feel compelled to answer questions similar to these because I've seen a lot of people comment about how body pump is ineffective at creating muscle growth or does not do enough to 'tone' muscle. There are many studies that support the idea that heavy lifting with lower reps helps build muscle faster, however it is certainly possible to tone and build lean muscle mass with light weights under higher repetitions, which is what body pump is. The key is you have to know what is challenging for you, and push yourself to add more weight once you've adapted to your current load. It's all about creating change and pushing your body to reach muscular failure. If you've ever taken a body pump class, you know that if you've challenged yourself, it is incredibly difficult to keep lifting with the high tempo music especially towards the end of the song - that is muscular failure. Your muscle fibers literally break themselves, and your body has to recover and repair them. Once repaired, your body adapts by using stronger muscle fibers, which increases your strength.

It gets somewhat repetitive seeing people comment about how body pump doesn't build muscle. In fact, I've seen people inaccurately say that "you shouldn't lose much muscle mass doing body pump" (you don't lose any). Based on personal experience, I know for a fact that body pump does in fact build lean muscle. My body fat percentage has gone down, even though my overall weight has stayed relatively constant. Scales with body fat percentage measurements (although not entirely accurate, they provide a good baseline) don't lie. I'm not saying that body pump builds more muscle faster than heavy weights with lower reps, it probably doesn't, but I do know that body pump is one way to build muscle if you keep at it. I do not lift heavy weights outside of body pump at all, because I find it boring. In the end, you have to stick with something that motivates you and that you enjoy doing, because otherwise it just becomes a chore. I've been taking body pump for about two years now though, so it's been a while, but I've enjoyed every class.

If you want fast results and rapid strength gains, though, you probably are better off with heavy weights. If you like doing body pump and prefer it over heavy lifting, you'll see results, it just might not be as fast. If you're looking to tone, strengthen, and burn fat, body pump will definitely help you. I'm a guy, so it's different, but I've seen a lot of women take body pump classes and none of them ever bulk up (like the hulk), they just lose some weight and look all around healthier. You won't become like one of those female body builders, unless you maybe take testosterone pills.

See link below for more information:
    http://www.builtlean.com/2012/07/19/high-reps-vs-low-reps/
  • cjl2535
    Options

I feel compelled to answer questions similar to these because I've seen a lot of people comment about how body pump is ineffective at creating muscle growth or does not do enough to 'tone' muscle. There are many studies that support the idea that heavy lifting with lower reps helps build muscle faster, however it is certainly possible to tone and build lean muscle mass with light weights under higher repetitions, which is what body pump is. The key is you have to know what is challenging for you, and push yourself to add more weight once you've adapted to your current load. It's all about creating change and pushing your body to reach muscular failure. If you've ever taken a body pump class, you know that if you've challenged yourself, it is incredibly difficult to keep lifting with the high tempo music especially towards the end of the song - that is muscular failure. Your muscle fibers literally break themselves, and your body has to recover and repair them. Once repaired, your body adapts by using stronger muscle fibers, which increases your strength.

It gets somewhat repetitive seeing people comment about how body pump doesn't build muscle. In fact, I've seen people inaccurately say that "you shouldn't lose much muscle mass doing body pump" (you don't lose any). Based on personal experience, I know for a fact that body pump does in fact build lean muscle. My body fat percentage has gone down, even though my overall weight has stayed relatively constant. Scales with body fat percentage measurements (although not entirely accurate, they provide a good baseline) don't lie. I'm not saying that body pump builds more muscle faster than heavy weights with lower reps, it probably doesn't, but I do know that body pump is one way to build muscle if you keep at it. I do not lift heavy weights outside of body pump at all, because I find it boring. In the end, you have to stick with something that motivates you and that you enjoy doing, because otherwise it just becomes a chore. I've been taking body pump for about two years now though, so it's been a while, but I've enjoyed every class.

If you want fast results and rapid strength gains, though, you probably are better off with heavy weights. If you like doing body pump and prefer it over heavy lifting, you'll see results, it just might not be as fast. If you're looking to tone, strengthen, and burn fat, body pump will definitely help you. I'm a guy, so it's different, but I've seen a lot of women take body pump classes and none of them ever bulk up (like the hulk), they just lose some weight and look all around healthier. You won't become like one of those female body builders, unless you maybe take testosterone pills.

See link below for more information:
    http://www.builtlean.com/2012/07/19/high-reps-vs-low-reps/

Thank you so much for your reply :D Very informative and to the point :) I was wondering if you have an opinions or experience with Stronglifts 5x5 program? or even the 5/3/1 ?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    It is not comparable to a real-deal heavy lifting program. The weights are not heavy enough. Body Pump is basically a glorified cardio class with weights.

That said, I actually tried it several times, and LOVED it. It kicked my butt hard, and when I want a change in the monotony from my cardio, I go to that class.

Nutshell: It's a great workout, but not a substitute for weights. If you do BP. you should still set time aside for weightlifting.
  • suzaka
    suzaka Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have no personal experience with stronglifts 5x5 program, but because you asked, I read about it. It sounds very intense. I might have to try it one day. I do like how it emphasizes squats every workout though, because your legs are the largest muscle groups, and can burn a lot more calories than other muscle groups. The 5 3 1 program I've sort of done somewhat (well the overall concept of reducing reps over time while keeping the weight constant) before I started going regularly to BP. Both of these programs sound like they require you to lift close to your max 1 rep weight. You would probably want a spotter just for safety reasons if you truly wanted to push yourself.

Also, I forgot to mention, maybe it's the sinister side of me, but I prefer programs like BP because when I see other people suffering and having a hard time, it makes me feel like I'm not alone. Misery really does love company. Lol.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Bodypump for almost 4 years now, and I am currently training to become an instructor. Take a look at my photo. It works and I have lost so much fat. I could be bigger than I am now but I have started marathon training, so I am not currently putting on muscle. But one can. I absolutely love Bodypump, I go three times a week and I never miss it!
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. My friend is a body pump and attack instructor for Goodlife and he is incredibly fit and looks lean, however I can lift heavier than he does through heavy lifting with stronglifts.
  • cjl2535
    Options
    I have no personal experience with stronglifts 5x5 program, but because you asked, I read about it. It sounds very intense. I might have to try it one day. I do like how it emphasizes squats every workout though, because your legs are the largest muscle groups, and can burn a lot more calories than other muscle groups. The 5 3 1 program I've sort of done somewhat (well the overall concept of reducing reps over time while keeping the weight constant) before I started going regularly to BP. Both of these programs sound like they require you to lift close to your max 1 rep weight. You would probably want a spotter just for safety reasons if you truly wanted to push yourself.

Also, I forgot to mention, maybe it's the sinister side of me, but I prefer programs like BP because when I see other people suffering and having a hard time, it makes me feel like I'm not alone. Misery really does love company. Lol.

Haha thank you so much :) I actually LOLed at the last part :P but agreed
  • WandaWoman41
    WandaWoman41 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Bodypump for almost 4 years now, and I am currently training to become an instructor. Take a look at my photo. It works and I have lost so much fat. I could be bigger than I am now but I have started marathon training, so I am not currently putting on muscle. But one can. I absolutely love Bodypump, I go three times a week and I never miss it!

Thank your for providing evidence that muscle can be built on this program. Great physique