Sweet taste in mouth?

Options
For the last week I have had an almost constant sweet taste in my mouth. It will not go away with drinking or even brushing my teeth. I notice it the most when I wake up in the morning. The best way I can describe it is like an artificial sweetener after taste. I brought it up earlier and my mother went nuts saying I have diabetes BUT it has only been like this since I started watching my calorie intake. Any thoughts?

Replies

• GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too but I'm pretty sure it's because I was eating a lot of artificial sweetener (sucralose to be exact). I bought the pure form of this no-calorie sweetener and it is REALLY potent. I think I have the lingering sweetness on my tongue because of trace left overs on my taste buds.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    For the last week I have had an almost constant sweet taste in my mouth. It will not go away with drinking or even brushing my teeth. I notice it the most when I wake up in the morning. The best way I can describe it is like an artificial sweetener after taste. I brought it up earlier and my mother went nuts saying I have diabetes BUT it has only been like this since I started watching my calorie intake. Any thoughts?

Ask your doctor
  • Mrs_K_
    Mrs_K_ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would feel crazy going to the doctor because of a taste in my mouth lol. I went through a phase of being a hypochondriac or suffering from health anxiety. With that being said I try to stay away from the doctor as much as possible because one thing will lead to another. I also have strep throat at the moment but it was like this before having strep. I don't know, maybe I should suck it up and go ahead and schedule an appointment. I am supposed to be going for blood work so I will see if I can get it moves up.
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Is there a change in your breath too? There's a condition called ketoacidosis associated with diabetes, mostly type 1, that can cause your breath to either smell fruity or like acetone. I'm not sure if it can change taste. Either way you might want to ask your doctor if it's something you should make an appointment for.

I should add that you most likely don't have this since it's very serious, sudden and has a ton of other symptoms. Just wanted to mention it because that's probably what your mom was thinking of.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Ask your doctor

This.
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I exercise too much and don't eat enough carbs. I do believe it's ketosis breath.
  • Mrs_K_
    Mrs_K_ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No my breath hasn't changed, I asked my husband and he said it hasn't. I had to look up ketosis I have never heard of it before. From what I understand that comes from your body using fat for energy and is usually associated with a low carb diet. I have cut a lot of carbs but I am far away from low carb. I will call my nurse practitioner tomorrow to see what she has to say. Thanks :)
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.

It does sound like a symptom of low blood sugar
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    When you brush your teeth, do you brush your tongue as well? Or just teeth? Taste sticks a lot more when the tongue isn't brushed. Also, could it be a side effect.. Of the antibiotics for your strep... Nvm, doesn't make sense since you had it before you knew you had strep. I do remember my mouth tasting bad when I had strep so maybe you're lucky and got a better taste? Remember you would have had strep a few days before you experienced the swollen tonsils and severe pain. It takes a bit for the bacteria to grow but they are present.

alas, I recommend talking to your doctor also.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    As long as your breath doesn't smell like Juicy Fruit gum you should be okay. Ketones have a very distinctive smell on your breath. In my emergency medical class that's what we were taught to look for. If you're not experiencing any other symptoms you probably don't need to worry about it as long as you're eating right.