HEALTHY CEREAL... NEED ADVICE!

Options
I need advice on some healthier choice cereal to purchase! I just flew through a box of Rice Crispy's Yuuu-uuummy! Is Special K really good for me? I like the one with the almonds in it! What about Frosted flakes... Honey Nut Cherios? Help!

Add me as a friend!! Keep me motivated!

Replies

• Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    Neither of those!
    Special K is full of sugar.
    Go with museli..oatmeal..weetabix...
  • Dreamingwillow
    Options
    I really like Kashi Cinnamon Harvest and Go Lean brands. Don't let the descriptions scare you away...I did for a long time, but it's really good and sweet.
  • tonyparkes
    tonyparkes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Neither of those!
    Special K is full of sugar.
    Go with museli..oatmeal..weetabix...

Agree with these - and you can always add a bit of fresh fruit to make them interesting :-)
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go lean crunch is YUMMY.
  • Monroe121
    Monroe121 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Plain Flakes will be better :)
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good options-but few hard and fast rules. Here is what I eat on a regular basis: Kashi heart to heart, plain cheerios, shredded wheat (not frosted), for a night snack/dessert: honeynut cheerios, crispix, frosted flakes.

Rice Krispies should be okay, but I think that they may not be great in the fiber department, and I can't remember about sugar. I've read that Special K with chocolate isn't really healthier than Coco Puffs.

My rules are less than 5 grams of sugar (for the breakfast cereals), and at least 4 grams fiber. In general- the more protein and fiber, the better; the less sugar the better.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I love love cereal and eat it almost morning :)

What I always look for in a good cereal is Fiber amount and Calories and if it helps with Cholesterol. I naturally don't like sugary cereals, such as Lucky Charms.

I really enjoy Special K Red Berries, Plain Cherrios, Raisin Bran and Cornflakes. These are my go-to cereals. I'm sure there are many others like Kashi, etc (I do like that brand too).

Fiber is the key for me, because the more fiber then the more full I stay throughout the morning. :bigsmile: And that is a big goal of mine. Also, if it is a low-cal cereal like 100 calories a cup, then if i'm starving and want to indulge... a big bowl (2 or 3 cups) isn't going to be the end of the world.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    All Bran, LOVE IT!!!

Forget special K and Rice Krispy's they are so light and empty they will not even remotely fill you up until after 4+ cups. Combine healthy cereals like all-bran, fiber one or kashi with yogurt and fresh fruit b/c it is the protein that will fill you up not the carbs.
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Okay, I need to read my Special K label. I really never looked at the sugar content. I need to do that. Thanks everyone!
  • amandakay23
    Options
    I eat mini wheats every morning. They seem to keep me full the longest. But I love kashi go lean...the one I got looked really scary, it was sooo good!
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    HIGH FIBER is what you should look for also! It keeps you full! My personal favorite is Mini-wheats -the sugar is kind of high-but they have a Vanilla flavor that also helps calm my sweet tooth :)

Anything with bran in it.

Oatmeal is good for you.

ALWAYS READ LABELS!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    And I would like to add that if you LOVE sweet cereal, you can always mix some in with something boring- a 1 to 3 ratio of sweet:healthy cereal is better than falling off the wagon completely and giving up all together.
  • mhowe86
    mhowe86 Posts: 37
    Options
    Mmmm.... I love Kashi Go Lean!

140 cal/cup
    1g Total Fat
    10g Fiber
    13g Protein
  • centralvalgal
    centralvalgal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Kellogs Fiber Plus Cinnamon oat crunch is really good. My daughter even likes it. I love it with 1/2 a banana sliced up in it.
  • bekkyhughes
    Options
    plain cornflakes have much less sugar and fat that speical k. Add some granulated sweetner is you want to make it a bit sweeter.
  • rachel122986
    Options
    I like to mix kashi go lean with fiber one bean cereal. Half a cup if each and a half a cup of milk. For a real treat I cut up a banana and put in it!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I just discovered Uncle Sam's Original Toasted Whole-Wheat Flakes with Flaxseed - the only added sweetner it has is a little bit of barley malt (it's around 1g per serving!) and has heart-healthy flax seed. 10g of fiber, 5g fat, 7g of protein per serving, 190 calories. I find it tasty plain, but it would also be good with banana, berries, cinnamon... lots of stuff!

http://www.usmillsinc.com/usmills/productview_description.php?id=124&back=Bitdc1MjAz9RO1A6CmBVJFpzB3VVYVdgASAAMQRqUy8Nf1ppViVRPwVkDXkFYlM/AGJRbQZi

Best of all, it's reasonably priced - it was about $2.40 per box at my local grocery store... most other healthier cereals are a LOT more!
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    i love special k protien cereal!!! awesome for ya to0 its called (((((((special k protien))))
  • meredith414
    Options
    I rarely eat cereal but when I do it's usually bran flakes with almond milk. Low sugar, high fiber.
  • bengabbin
    Options
    I have found that Kashi cereals are pretty good. One in particular is GoLean crisp. It has a great amount of protein (which helps build muscles and keeps you feeling full), plus it is full of fiber and nutrients you need and it tasts good whether in a bowl with milk or out of the box dry. Give it a try, I love it!