Are there any good walking programs out there?

Options
Okay, so around here the C25K is pretty much the most used/known running program for people just getting into it. I am wondering if there are any good walking challenges that are sort of like that, where you sort of build up the distances that you are walking.

Replies

• aliciamunday7
    aliciamunday7 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Try any of the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    For outdoors? It's not really a program but an app called The Walk is sort of fun, if it works on your phone. It didn't on mine, not for long. It's from the Zombies, Run! people. People say they use that app with walking, too.

Walkadoo.com gives you points and walking goals but you need a Fitbit or other device like it, I think.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Any of the activity trackers have walking challenges (ie fitbit, jawbone up, nike fuel band, etc...)

They very simply count your steps then upload your daily step count to their tracking website where it shows you your stats. There are many goals or challenges you can set that typically revolve around doinf xxx steps a day. 10,000 steps a day is the typical first target and then it can challenge you to increase each week.

Or; the latest smartphones have step counters built into them (Samsung s4, s5, iphone 5s...) where they track your daily steps trend.

Or; for no money and no gizmos; just track your time. This week I want to walk 30 minutes s a day. Next week 40 minutes etc...

I did this myself for 2 months until I was able to start the C25K program. Now Im actually running!

Just take the first "step"
  • nowNOTthenmylife
    nowNOTthenmylife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Girl..! lol
    just as someone mentioned above try Leslie sansone walking programs .It is challenging enough. There are few of her full workouts on youtube such as 1 mile walk up to like five miles.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I've heard The Walk is pretty good - it is story driven and gives you something to listen to. I love Zombies, Run! it is a great start to being able to run, and I imagine you'd be able to do it with walking too, if you just sped up a bit in the places where you should run.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I just use runtastic (I think that is what it is called), every time I go for a walk I turn it on & then compare it to my other walks.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    There was a website one I was using a few years ago which was really good - only I've forgotten what it was called. Every day I would put in my step count. The idea was you would sign up for a special walk somewhere in the world and it would tell you what your progress was on doing that walk each day. One I did was across the states from coast to coast. You just get told how far you would have progressed when you put in your count and when you have reached the end.
  • bethanytapp
    bethanytapp Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use mapmyfitness and set a distance goal or a speed goal depending on the day and then just listen to my music or whatever.
  • bethanytapp
    Options
    The one that compares your walk to distances around the world sounds cool. Wish you could remember the name,
  • bethanytapp
    Options
    There was a website one I was using a few years ago which was really good - only I've forgotten what it was called. Every day I would put in my step count. The idea was you would sign up for a special walk somewhere in the world and it would tell you what your progress was on doing that walk each day. One I did was across the states from coast to coast. You just get told how far you would have progressed when you put in your count and when you have reached the end.

Could this be the one you were talking about? Looks like you have to join the site and its a pay membership
    https://www.walkingwithattitude.com/challenges/walking-trails-of-the-world
  • MySlimGoals
    Options
    Ok I found it. They have an app now. It's called iStepLog. It doesn't sync with my Fitbit though :( Maybe I should suggest that to them!
  • MySlimGoals
    Options
    opps I'll repost
  • MySlimGoals
    Options
    Could this be the one you were talking about? Looks like you have to join the site and its a pay membership
    https://www.walkingwithattitude.com/challenges/walking-trails-of-the-world

That one does look good - shame it's a pay one though.