Treating Migraines

Options
I saw the thread about trigger foods but I am looking for some help for treating migraines. Have had a bad couple of nights and I would like not to ruin everything I have acomplished by having to take two advil and two benedryl when they come on.
I am looking for natural (none weight gaining and water retaining )solutions.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    How would it ruin everything you've accomplished? Water retention is very temporary and neither of the drugs you names are weight gaining?

I'd far far rather that the pills than live with the migraine. I know for me, if I don't take the drugs I'm out for anywhere up to a few days, so I'm far better off taking them.
  • mooie70
    mooie70 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yeah...seriously...you're talking about your health here. It always concerns me when people become so fanatical about something that they have lost sight of the real issue. Take what you need to get in control of your migraines. Just do it.

Is there an actual reason for not wanting to take the meds? Do they affect you in some other way?
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hm, aside from diet and exercise and finding out what works for you, good luck with an all natural migraine cure.

I've tried everything from acupuncture and Chinese herbs as an alternative way to stop them, but nope. A clean diet and regular exercise certainly reduces them.

But when it comes down to the crunch and I have one, I have to take Zofran to stop me vomiting long enough to keep down Tramadol. Then I pass out for about 17 hours. If I don't have Zofran, I have to ride it out for about 9 hours until the vomiting stops so I can keep down the painkillers. If you can catch them early enough, then some over-the-counter standard asprin might work - most asprin are sold in 75mg doses, but my GP advised that you can take 300mg to stop a migraine attack.

Maxalt Melts work and generally only need one dose, but you can get immune to them (I did).

I don't find I gain weight from the medication - I lose weight when I have a migraine attack, due to the vomiting and the post-migraine euphoria I experience reduces my appetite dramatically. In terms of water retention - you really need that to be honest. Dehydration occurs during a migraine, so you want as much water in your body as you can get.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Taking advil and benedryl will not undo your progress. That's just silly.

Honestly I'd recommend seeing a neurologist. Mine reduced my migraines from 15-17 days per month to about 7-8, which can be treated with Imitrex.

Short of that, heat works well for me. Hot bath, heating pad on the back of the neck, etc.
  • Jodsmission
    Jodsmission Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Is there an actual reason for not wanting to take the meds? Do they affect you in some other way?
    [/quote]

You sound like my mom.:smile: I hate that the drugs make me hold the water and I do get wacked out and then push to lose the water weight and wear myself down. I have had bad experiences with medications piling on the weight in the last couple of years. So I am trying the no drugs route but I can't do that when I am crippled in pain from a migraine. So I have taken advil and benedryl rather than phenergan the last two nights.
    I just crossed into the under 20 to go mark I don't want 3 lbs of water weight.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You've already said it - finding your trigger foods is one of the most successful ways to treat migraines. Also keep note of when you're getting migraines on a calendar, this also may help work out if there's anything else impacting them.

As for the drugs, take them and be functional! They won't stop you losing and the quicker you get relief the easier it is to keep your energy level up. If you're anything like me, migraines make me want to do nothing but to lie down in the dark, after a couple of pills I can usually do a good walk/run.

Edit: just saw your post about not liking your pills. There are so many out there maybe do some trial and error to see which suits you best? I find that for me the best thing is over the counter ibuprofen+codeine tablets (I am in the UK though, not sure if that's a mix they'd do elsewhere)
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options

Honestly I'd recommend seeing a neurologist. Mine reduced my migraines from 15-17 days per month to about 7-8, which can be treated with Imitrex.

Short of that, heat works well for me. Hot bath, heating pad on the back of the neck, etc.

Me, too...I went from about the same number 15-20 per month to 4-5...I had to have my meds adjusted recently because I had once a few weeks ago that lasted 7 days. I take Ambien, 100mg amitriptyline and toprol (beta-blocker) every day and take either Maxalt MLT or Imitrex for an actual migraine. Sometimes if I can catch it at the onset, I'll just take an Excedrin Migraine with some caffeine and that works pretty well. Sometimes when the meds don't work I wind up going in for a shot of Fentanyl.

I really do recommend anyone who gets more than 2 migraines per month on a consistent basis see their doctor and ask to be referred to neuro. Migraines are usually a condition all to themselves, but sometimes, if rarely, they are indicators of something else. I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer when I was 19 due to chronic migraine (over the course of three months I had over 80 cluster headaches and/or migraines)...Sometimes a headache isn't just a headache.

I used to let them sideline me, but even with a migraine, I'll put on a pair of heavy duty shades, my earplugs and go for a walk...I wouldn't try going to the gym and lifting...but i do try to move. Sometimes that helps a little, too.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Visiting a good chiropractor may help. They ask if you have migraines during intakes on your first visit. If you have never tried it, I would suggest asking around for friends and relatives for suggestions instead of just picking a random doctor, since there is a wide variety of techniques. Chiropractic care deals with the nervous system mostly, so if something is pinched or squeezed, etc. that could cause migraines.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I saw the thread about trigger foods but I am looking for some help for treating migraines. Have had a bad couple of nights and I would like not to ruin everything I have acomplished by having to take two advil and two benedryl when they come on.
    I am looking for natural (none weight gaining and water retaining )solutions.
    Why would taking painkillers ruin everything. Water weight fluctuates it's not fat weight it is transitory and fluctuates daily. I have prescription Migraine drugs and personally rather than having to lay in a darkened room in agony for 12 hours I'll take them

IMO people get a bit over the top with 'water weight' you will always have some it's how the body works.
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I never did find anything that worked for my migraines aside from a visit to emerg for heavy drugs. There were no trigger food or situations or anything to work with. I was on Amitriptyline which reduced the frequency, but I still had a few down and dirty knock me out migraines per year that would put me in emerg.

I say had because the one thing that did cure them was having a baby. I still get some wicked headaches, but no true migraine since my youngest son was born. This would make me think there were hormones involved somehow, but there was never a TOM connection, so it's weird.

That said, advil won't ruin your diet. If you have migraines like I did, it won't help your headache either, though. I did find if I took the painkillers I had with warm Coke, they worked better...probably broke them down to digest faster and the caffeine is good for headaches. Anyhoo, I feel for you and good luck. Migraines are not something I want back.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If you need meds you need meds. I have been on loads of different meds, I now take meds everyday to try and prevent migraine, plus meds incase I have one, they are a god send, I went from having migraines every week to now once in a blue moon, and they are controlled mostly and no where near as bad as they used to be.

I never found my trigger food or nothing that was apparent.

Nothing worse than suffering a migraine for a few days.
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Relpax is what I take for chronic migraines... It does not affect my diet in any way.. Takes the pain away in about 20 minutes and then I can go on with my day... Good luck!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Migraines are caused by many things. Please see a neurologist and get evaluated. There are medications available to take regularly to prevent them as one person has already said.
    I take carbemezapine for a neurological issue. It's also used for migraines.
    Do yourself a favor and get checked. Don't suffer.
  • qtmonica
    qtmonica Posts: 16
    Options
    I suffer from cluster headaches and I have found that cayenne pepper stray helps alot...it is all natural but please take what you need for your health in the long run it is what is most important no matter what the scale says.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The frequency and intensity of my migraines lessened after my second pregnancy. But, I don't think that's a solution for everyone. :wink:

I find that as long as I eat well (processed foods trigger me), exercise, and get enough sleep I do pretty well keeping them at bay. When I do get one, Excedrin Migraine works well.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Me, too...I went from about the same number 15-20 per month to 4-5...I had to have my meds adjusted recently because I had once a few weeks ago that lasted 7 days. I take Ambien, 100mg amitriptyline and toprol (beta-blocker) every day and take either Maxalt MLT or Imitrex for an actual migraine. Sometimes if I can catch it at the onset, I'll just take an Excedrin Migraine with some caffeine and that works pretty well. Sometimes when the meds don't work I wind up going in for a shot of Fentanyl.

I really do recommend anyone who gets more than 2 migraines per month on a consistent basis see their doctor and ask to be referred to neuro. Migraines are usually a condition all to themselves, but sometimes, if rarely, they are indicators of something else. I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer when I was 19 due to chronic migraine (over the course of three months I had over 80 cluster headaches and/or migraines)...Sometimes a headache isn't just a headache.

I used to let them sideline me, but even with a migraine, I'll put on a pair of heavy duty shades, my earplugs and go for a walk...I wouldn't try going to the gym and lifting...but i do try to move. Sometimes that helps a little, too.

To be fair, cluster headaches and migraines are actually two different things. With migraines, moving makes things worse, while with cluster headaches, moving can make things better.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into a ketogenic diet. It was originally created to treat seizures in people with epilepsy, for which it's been used for nearly a century with great success, and in the meantime, they've found promise in a number of neurological issues, including migraines (particularly migraines, actually, due to the considerable overlap in the underlying neurological causes of both migraine and epilepsy). From what I've seen, it works with cluster headaches, too, for those reading this that have them (I've dealt with both throughout the years).

I've personally found this to be one of the best long-term solutions. I went from 800mg Ibuprofen (Advil) nearly every day just to function (Excedrin Migraine did nothing, as Acetaminophen didn't touch it), to rarely needing any, and if I did trigger a headache, 400mg was sufficient to deal with it and even the pre-medication severity was greatly reduced.

Here's some of the research:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3321471/
    http://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/1129-2377-14-S1-P219/fulltext.html
    http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=245128
    http://www.lanutri.de/media/Publikation_Koenings.pdf
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into a ketogenic diet. It was originally created to treat seizures in people with epilepsy, for which it's been used for nearly a century with great success, and in the meantime, they've found promise in a number of neurological issues, including migraines (particularly migraines, actually, due to the considerable overlap in the underlying neurological causes of both migraine and epilepsy). From what I've seen, it works with cluster headaches, too, for those reading this that have them (I've dealt with both throughout the years).

I've personally found this to be one of the best long-term solutions. I went from 800mg Ibuprofen (Advil) nearly every day just to function (Excedrin Migraine did nothing, as Acetaminophen didn't touch it), to rarely needing any, and if I did trigger a headache, 400mg was sufficient to deal with it and even the pre-medication severity was greatly reduced.

Here's some of the research:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3321471/
    http://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/1129-2377-14-S1-P219/fulltext.html
    http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=245128
    http://www.lanutri.de/media/Publikation_Koenings.pdf

You really should note that this isn't something to just try lightly. This diet does have side effects and carries some risks. It requires supplements to make up for deficiencies in many nutrients, can raise cholesterol levels significantly, can cause long-term bone health issues, among other things. This is definitely something that should be tried under the supervision of a doctor.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    OP - I don't understand the concern about undoing everything by taking some meds. I get migraines, not as frequently as I once did, but I do get them and I'll take meds for them. I don't think I've ever gained from a migraine and taking meds. I find myself not really eating due to nausea and sometimes vomiting and having to remind myself to eat something.

I really don't think taking some advil is going to undo everything.