To Those Who Are Discouraged

Options
I've read a lot of posts lately from people who are discouraged by their slow/lack of weight loss. I just wanted to throw this information that I learned in my Health and Fitness class when I was in college.

My professor told us that it takes 3,500 calories to burn/gain a pound. This is actually quite a lot of calories.

I keep this in mind when I've only lost 1lb for a whole week, and I've been eating right and exercising. One pound means I've burned an ADDITIONAL THREE THOUSAND AND FIVE HUNDERED calories MORE than I normally would. This doesn't include what I've burned food-wise, and just normal resting, This is additional.

Here is an example of an average caloric meal at McDonalds (For most of us before we started this weight loss journey):

Big Mac: 540 calories / 29 grams of fat
Large French Fry (Didn't have Super Size listed- so that's even more: 500 calories / 25 grams of fat
Large Coke: 310 Calories

For one meal, that totals 1,350 calories. I would eat this. For one meal. I eat LESS than this now in an entire day!

Imagine if you were eating like this EVERY meal before you started this. That would be a total of

4,550 Calories a DAY.
162 Grams of fat a DAY.

Now, if the average person burns 2,000 calories a day, this means I was consuming approximately 2,550 MORE calories a day than I burned.

My point? YOU ARE ALL DOING FABULOUS!!! You are an amazing bunch of people who are taking the steps necessary to become healthy individuals. You've decided to no longer be a slave to food.

Don't be discouraged if the scale doesn't move. Don't be discouraged if you're not losing as fast as you think you should be. Remeber, where you are now, versus where you have been is the most important thing.

It's not the destination that makes us stronger, but the journey. :)

Replies

• Izzys_mom
    Izzys_mom Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the reminder. :)
  • manleyzoo
    manleyzoo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You are so wise!! I never looked at it that way and will NEVER look at McDs in the same light!! LOL
  • cynn6604
    Options
    Thanks so much for the encouragement!!
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    Fantastic post and encouragement!
  • PaulaAvery
    PaulaAvery Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Awesome x
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Than you :flowerforyou: , I needed that today x
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I read this same information earlier today. I was one of those who felt a little down, you just helped me feel better. Thank you
  • misty_68505
    Options
    Great Post!!
  • Pandaschaefer
    Options
    Very encouraging and thanks for quite an eye opener too! Much appreciated!
  • Frozenmango
    Frozenmango Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You have no idea how much I needed that! Just this morning I was so disheartened when I saw that the scale had yet to move again, thinking "I've been eating so well and working out regularly so why has nothing changed?", especially when you hear of some people losing 6 -10lbs in the first week!

But you helped me to get my perspective goggles on, and I feel much better. If only it was as easy to burn 3500 cals as it is to eat it lol!

Thank you so much for sharing this!
  • yogalotusadg
    Options
    thanks for this...really makes you see the bigger picture instead of focusing on the scale.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    :smile: I'm glad. I beat myself up all the time. And the other day I remembered this. This weight didn't happen overnight, so I can't beat myself up when it takes a couple of months to start seeing really good results. I have a feeling a lot of peole feel this way, especially this time of year!
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
  • krislati
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I am one who get discourage easily
  • EbonyHunter
    Options
    Yes thanks so much for that!
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I only lost a pound this week and was bummin'. Not so much after reading this!!! :)
  • hill2302
    hill2302 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder and putting it in perspective.

BUT now I feel like crap for taking my 3 daughters (3, 5, and 7) to McD's for dinner last night in a pinch! They're all thin and active, but I really shouldn't get them started down the wrong path. Bad Daddy!!!!

I ate light, just having some oatmeal there, but I'm sure their kids meals weren't exactly "healthy" for them, unless all the preservatives will actually make them live longer. I'm guessing scientiftic studies won't back that up though.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating at McDonalds a long time ago, but I will occasionally take the kids there - as you said, in a pinch. They love to go, and ask a lot if they can, but I've started to put a stop to it. I tell them it's not healthy or good for us. We've all been really focusing on better food choices, but I do allow them a treat every now and then. I worry that if I become a food-nazi, then when they grow older, they'll binge.

I don't think one meal at McDonalds will hurt anyone. And they are trying to allow for healthier options - like the apples instead of fries. It's all in moderation. When we do eat fast food (about once a month), I give them the options: McDonalds or Zips (Zips is local fast food restaurant that has AMAZING tartar sauce). Zips is the fresher choice, and I believe their meats are better quality - and my kids almost always choose Zips. So while it's still fast food, I feel better knowing their meat isn't from a factory farm.

I also split the fries and the drinks between them. This saves a lot of money, and it cuts down on over-eating, which is incredibly easy to do at a fast food restaurant because the food is so delicious!

I won't let them eat the school lunches though. As a teacher, I know exactly how much fat, calories, sodium, and sugar those meals have, and I honestly believe this is one of the main reasons we have so many overweight kids in our country. So many parents just don't know how bad the school lunches are. But that's a post for another time. :smile:

So treat your kids. Nothing wrong with allowing that. I do let my kids know when we're eating a less healthy option though. This way they are educated.