I'm gaining weight and I don't know how

Options
Hello, so I recently started dieting and excercising. I've been told that my calorie goal should be 1550. Now I've been trying to cut down on portion sizes. However I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Okay so I'm trying to reach my calorie goal to lose 1lb a week, however when I weigh myself I'm rapidly losing and gaining weight. I'm losing and gaining pounds every few hours somehow, and I've tested other scales and they all say the same thing. I'm scared I'm doing something wrong and I'm damaging my body with this rapid weight loss/gain.

But whilst I keep trying to cut down on portion sizes, I keep getting hungry and then I eat a snack, and then I turn out to gain even more weight and I'm just scared I'm doing the opposite effect of losing weight but rather I'm gaining it.

Can anyone please tell me how I'm gaining weight. I doubt its muscle, since my excercise routine doesn't tend to burn many calories (At most around 200) and whilst I sweat a lot and put a lot of effort into my excercise, I dont seem to suffer from much muscle soreness.

I have no idea, what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone please tell me?

Any help appreciated, thank you.

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Sorry, double post
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Well first, deep breath. If you're weighing yourself multiple times a day, you're going to drive yourself insane. Weight fluctuates as much as 5 lbs in a single day and about 3 lbs or more from day to day. It doesn't mean you're actually truly gaining weight. You're looking for a trend over weeks. Weigh one time a day, same time, place. Make it as consistent as possible. I weigh in the morning, no clothes. I do no weigh any other time.

Weight loss isn't linear. Just take a deep breath. You'll want to see where your weight is in a few weeks.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm losing and gaining pounds every few hours somehow,

why are you weighing yourself every few hours?! :huh:
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Dont weigh yourself multiple times through the day - as BombshellPhoe says you'll drive yourself nuts! I weigh myself every Tuesday morning first thing so i'm weighing my body weight not what I ate or drank! I dont weigh myself again till the next week. As long as your working in a calorie defecit (around - 500 calories a day) and getting daily exercise in, and that can be 20 - 30 minutes walking, you'll steadily loose weight.
  • GothJuice
    GothJuice Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't panic! The problem lies in overweighing yourself! Your weight fluctuates between around 3-5lbs during the day, with you tending to weigh in lighter on the morning than in the evening. For example, the other day I weighed myself first thing in the morning after getting up and using the bathroom, I weighed in at 169lbs, I weighed myself in the evening and I was 173lbs. Weighing everyday at the same time can show weight steadily coming off, but it's also easier to get wrapped up in the numbers a little too much by doing that (I know I did). I recommend weighing in on a morning once a week. As the above poster said, weight loss isn't linear, if you remain consistent with your diet and exercise you'll see it has went down in a few weeks time. :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself so much, you're going to drive yourself crazy. Weight fluctuates. It's normal. I'm a daily weigher because I like to see the fluctuations. Here are mine for the past month (I'm in maintenance):

126.2 127 127.2 125.6 125 126.2 126 127
    128.8 128.8 128 128 129.2 128 127.2 128.2
    127 128.8 127.2 127.4 127 125.4 125.4 126.8
    125 125 126.2 125.8 125.4 124.6 124.6 125.2

Specifically look at the two numbers I bolded. My low for the month was 124.6 and my high was 129.2. Does that mean I gained and lost 5 lbs of fat? Nope. It just means that's how much weight can change based on water retention, food in the system, hormones, and other factors.
  • HarjKSi
    HarjKSi Posts: 2
    Options
    Okay, now I understand. Thanks everyone.

And also apoligies, I tend to panic quite a lot over a lot of things (I've done this for years and it drives my friends insane) so yeah I guess I panicked a lot over this. But thanks for also explaining and good luck with all your diets and excercise! :D
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If you are comparing weights they need to be compared against the same time as the previous day eg. First thing in themorning / Just before dinner or whatever - never compare weights against different times in the day. Most people who weigh daily weigh in the morning just before or after a shower usually before breakfast. Foods you eat during the day bind up different amount of water in your digestive system this is just one of the many variables.

Weight loss is about calorie deficit period - MFP provides a tool for you to track whether you are in deficit. You will need to weigh your food for a period (after this you can get pretty good at estimating) - I usually only weight "nutrient dense" foods now and estimate the rest (like salads).

Look for trend line not just a weight in a point in time after a few weeks you will gain some competence and confidence in the system - but you need to use it!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Question- Are you really 18?

Think of it this way- A 16 oz glass of water weighs approximately 1 lb. If you drink that water, then step on the scale, the scale will be 1 lb heavier. An hour later you go pee and step on the scale again- now that lb is gone. Did you gain and lose a lb of fat? NO, you just borrowed a lb of water and returned it.

If you are weighing yourself all day long after you eat and go to the bathroom, the scale is going to go up and down with the weight of food and beverage you put into it thruout the day. Trying to keep the scale from going up during the day, and obsessing over every time it does, is a good way to give yourself an eating disorder.

So chill. Weigh once a day in the morning, and look for an average over the week or month. You got this.:happy:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself so much, you're going to drive yourself crazy. Weight fluctuates. It's normal. I'm a daily weigher because I like to see the fluctuations. Here are mine for the past month (I'm in maintenance):

126.2 127 127.2 125.6 125 126.2 126 127
    128.8 128.8 128 128 129.2 128 127.2 128.2
    127 128.8 127.2 127.4 127 125.4 125.4 126.8
    125 125 126.2 125.8 125.4 124.6 124.6 125.2

Specifically look at the two numbers I bolded. My low for the month was 124.6 and my high was 129.2. Does that mean I gained and lost 5 lbs of fat? Nope. It just means that's how much weight can change based on water retention, food in the system, hormones, and other factors.

Read this many times over and over.