Need carbs to meet my daily goals

Options
Hello.
I have been doing everything I can to meet my 3000+ calories goal while staying within sugar limits. I do use whey protein daily, and I lift four times per week.
Anybody have a suggestion for good, clean carbs? What carb-rich foods am I missing?

(Also, I want to be stronger, am a 38 year old male, and have definitely made gains in the past 4 months. Am I lifting too much? And when am I supposed to do cardio to keep the belly away even though I want to not lose weight? Or is that something that is mostly taken care of by not eating too much fat...)

I know these message boards can be helpful and supportive. I also know that less experienced people sometimes are attacked. I would appreciate any help you send my way. And I appreciate your patience.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Carbs:
    sweet or baked potatoes
    baked acorn squash
    oatmeal
    beans (canned works great)
    fruit -- berries, . . . (these can come frozen. i move them from the freezer to the fridge before I go to bed and eat them for breakfast
    nuts
    carrots
    rice

I apologize for not being clear about what you are saying your goals.
    Keep in mind that some fat is necessary.
    Nuts have fat. Also avocados. Or take fat in full fat dairy instead of low fat and skim.
    When I am under calories and fat for the day, I take ones small spoon of Walnut oil or any other oil I have.
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Carbs:
    sweet or baked potatoes
    baked acorn squash
    oatmeal
    beans (canned works great)
    fruit -- berries, . . . (these can come frozen. i move them from the freezer to the fridge before I go to bed and eat them for breakfast
    nuts
    carrots
    rice

I apologize for not being clear about what you are saying your goals.
    Keep in mind that some fat is necessary.
    Nuts have fat. Also avocados. Or take fat in full fat dairy instead of low fat and skim.
    When I am under calories and fat for the day, I take ones small spoon of Walnut oil or any other oil I have.

This!

I thrive on fats when I am trying to reach my calorie goals if I find that I'm under goal for the day - I reach for things as listed above as well as a spoonful of nut butter, coconut butter, etc. Before bed I will have a large snack - typically cottage cheese with 2-3 tbsp of nut butter and some crushed rice cakes.

Try adding frozen fruit to smoothies, sweet potatoes also work. Brown rice is a great source of carbs, quinoa and other grains too. RodaRose pretty much hit the nail on the head as far as healthy sources, but keep in mind it's okay to have some "not-so-clean" foods as well for carb sources!
  • Janlo26
    Janlo26 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use whole grains - quinoa, brown rice, whole grain muffins, whole grain bread - and fruit for carbs.
    It's my understanding that if you're lifting and eating enough to gain muscle you will get a bit of a tummy. Your body makes fat as well as muscle. At some point you have to accept the fact that human beings are supposed to have round bellies. ;) Having said that, you would have to "cut" to lose the belly but, as I understand it, that is a temporary thing for competition, etc. Check out the Muscle & Strength website for loads of great info on everything from weight programming to nutrition.
    All the best!
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain weight, you need carbs plus fat, and plenty of protein. It is going to be hard to eat 3K calories per day if you focus on only getting in more carbs.
  • erclle
    erclle Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you all so much.
    I have figured out how to get the protein in each day. And fat has been easy. It's been the carbs that have been tougher. I like the food suggestions, thanks everyone. I don't love rice, but I know I can at least add it occasionally. And everyone really is talking about Quinoa! It seems to be a really good food for the body. (But does it compare to the old Black Bean?)

Yes, I think the rounder stomach thing sounds good. Of course, I could completely cut out beer and see what happens!

Take care you all, and any recipe/ingredient ideas are always appreciated.
  • Ajmoreman
    Ajmoreman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Use low sodium chicken stock instead of water for Quinoa. On it's own quinoa has absolutely zero flavor, so this helps a lot. I do that and add grilled chicken with some spices for flavor - but that may have too much salt for you! Toss some steamed veggies in the mix and you'll be good to go :)
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Sugar isn't an issue (unless diabetic), do not worry.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    No one has listed pasta yet. Lasagna for example, is loaded with carbs!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Bananas
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't an issue (unless diabetic), do not worry.

yeah- I concur.

Get off the sugar issue and eat up.
    I fill my day out with oreo's and ice cream- plentyo carbs and fats. :)
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    PoTaToes.gif
  • Jollybeard
    Jollybeard Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, try some steel cut oats. You can even cook them overnight in a slow cooker. Add some dried fruit or seeds ahead of the cooking for some additional carbs.

For a snack, try some popcorn.
  • erclle
    erclle Posts: 11
    Options
    Excellent. Thank you all.
    I feel like my sugar amounts have been sneaking in without me eating sweet stuff. Sodium, too.

Today I wanted to check it out, so I drank a Coca-Cola and felt like I could sleep a half hour later.
    Ate a candy bar for the first time in forever today, and fifteen minutes later I felt like my veins were vibrating!

I'll try out the cooking ideas, thanks again.

Bought oatmeal (not steal cut), wheat bread, and black beans today.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Unless you have diabetes or doctor's orders, ignore MFP's sugar goal.

I'm less hungry when I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore carbs & fats. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

The Sexypants post should be required reading for all MFPers: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Healthy, active individuals need not worry about MFP's sugar recommendations.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    PoTaToes.gif

YES. My fiance is trying to gain weight. Current favorite way to do this: equal parts potato and cream/butter mash. I'm soo jelly (lactose intolerant here).

Don't really know why you're avoiding sugar though. His other favorite way to do this is huge nanaimo bar =800 calories of dreaminess (jelly once again- damn lactose!). Not exactly sugar free though. Equal parts sugar and butter really.
  • forgiven16
    forgiven16 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    MFP counts fruit towards sugars so watch out. Honestly extra sugar in your diet won't kill you.. Your bulking after all.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    You can sneak some rice (precooked) and oats (raw) into meatloaf instead of using breadcrumbs. I bake a meatloaf in the oven then slice and freeze individual slices, the rice and oats make it rather dense so it will hold up to grill the slices either open flame or george foreman. I also tend to use lots of veggies in my meatloaf. Grill up a slice of meatloaf, top with some cheese, bacon, veggies and use greek yogurt (as mayo) on a nice whole grain or pretzel roll and enjoy as a burger.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Excellent. Thank you all.
    I feel like my sugar amounts have been sneaking in without me eating sweet stuff. Sodium, too.

Today I wanted to check it out, so I drank a Coca-Cola and felt like I could sleep a half hour later.
    Ate a candy bar for the first time in forever today, and fifteen minutes later I felt like my veins were vibrating!

I'll try out the cooking ideas, thanks again.

Bought oatmeal (not steal cut), wheat bread, and black beans today.

Don't worry about the sugar or the sodium. MFP's goals for both of these are ridiculously low for healthy individuals.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hello.
    I have been doing everything I can to meet my 3000+ calories goal while staying within sugar limits. I do use whey protein daily, and I lift four times per week.
    Anybody have a suggestion for good, clean carbs? What carb-rich foods am I missing?

(Also, I want to be stronger, am a 38 year old male, and have definitely made gains in the past 4 months. Am I lifting too much? And when am I supposed to do cardio to keep the belly away even though I want to not lose weight? Or is that something that is mostly taken care of by not eating too much fat...)

I know these message boards can be helpful and supportive. I also know that less experienced people sometimes are attacked. I would appreciate any help you send my way. And I appreciate your patience.

Depending on your goals, fat is good for you.

Quinoa and Cucumber Salad
    http://www.marthastewart.com/874606/quinoa-and-cucumber-salad
    1 cup quinoa, rinsed
    1 cup water
    Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
    2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 English cucumber, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
    3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
    1/4 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves

I do not usually rinse mine because it is a little tricky.
    The directions ask because there is a kind of hull that is bitter.
    Look for packaging that says already rinsed.
    Here is info on that:
    http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2013/03/rinsing-quinoa-do-i-really-have-to-do-that.html
    Quinoa is tiny tiny and the "fine mesh stainer" -- you might not have that in your kitchen at the moment.

Recipe for "Breakfast Quinoa:
    http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/sweet-breakfast-quinoa