Does anybody think its harmless to exercise THROUGH PAIN

Options
ive got 3 ruptured discs in my lower left back..on top of RA and others...BUT...pretty much all im doing is WALKING and about 10 minutes in ....the nerve pain goes down my leg REALLY SHARP..makes for a very rough walk...BECAUSE...so far...ive continued to just push through it......I mean, if thats all the exercise i can get anymore i sure dont wanna stop that as well.....after awhile it tends to go away again...but its rough DURING my walk..i try stretching extra before and after..so far, every time though...there comes the pain, about 10 minutes in

Replies

• mariabancs
    Options
    DON'T. Pain is there for a reason, It's out bodies way of telling us their is damage. Their are low impact ways to exercise that should be far less painful AND even good for your RA. The best is walking in a pool. The water provides resistance as well as boyancy to take pressure off your pack. Low impact exerercise can also help with your RA and increase range of movement.
  • 2hdesign
    2hdesign Posts: 153
    Options
    Talk to you doctor (and physical therapist, if you have one - in fact, a PT would be a great source for figuring out what type of exercise you should do). There is pain that is okay and pain that is not. But without expert knowledge, it's a risk you probably shouldn't take...
  • amycrims
    Options
    yes, definitely STOP!! There's good pain and bad pain, this definitely sounds like bad pain and you can make it way worse. I'd talk to your doctor and ask for healthy advice about this.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I would check with your doctor and ask if it is okay to take a 10-minute walk a few times a day. If he does not think it can cause any harm, then maybe you can push through.

However, I would also check with your doctor to see if you can do some exercises in the pool, maybe even use a resistance band in the pool, but whatever you do, you need to check with the doctor. According to their diagnosis/x-ray results, they will be able to answer this question for you.
  • tomikadixon
    Options
    OK to work through pain, BUT NOT THAT KIND. What will u do when you cant use your back at all. You are only making things worse. STOOOOOOOP!!!!!!
  • 200in2011
    Options
    Yeah, maybe just light walking or REGULAR walking huh.............Ive been doing the leslie sansone walk at home dvds and they pretty much turn into AEROBICS

I hate it if those are too much cause I like em..........I can keep up and they really turn out to be good workouts...but maybe just THAT kind of walking is too much...fast walking and aerobic stuff huh........................Ive left word for my RA doc, but usually doesnt call me back the same day