Logging calories for strength training, do you bother?

Options
Hi everyone! :)

I'm new to strength training and would like some pointers... I'm coming out of "weight loss" mode and into strength training and "maintenance" mode. For the last couple of strength training sessions (which are 40 mins long) I just log the cardio I do at the beginning and end - I get this from my HRM and the machines I use :).

Here's what I'm inputting atm:

Warm up: 80 calories (sprinting on treadmill with incline, about 6 mins)
Leg press + shoulder press (3 sets 12 / 15 reps, no rest between)
Chest press + seated row (3 sets 12 / 15 reps, no rest between)
Leg extension + Leg curl (3 sets 12 / 15 reps, no rest between)
V-Sits + Reverse back extension (3 sets 12 / 15 reps.... no rest between! :P)
Tabata / HIIT training: 10 bursts of 20 sec cycling at high speed with 10 secs rest (60 cals)

So, for the cardio I know I've burnt at least 140... I throw another 40 cals on there for good measure for the strength training which leaves me with a total burn of 180 calories for 40 minutes hard work.... it seems quite low!

Is there any other exercise I should be doing alongside this? I'm hoping to fit in 2 cardio sessions a week as well, burning 500 a time!

My goal is to lose body fat %: currently at 28 (according to my body fat scales, which I've been told are not exactly accurate :frown: )... hoping to get to 20% eventually!

Thanks, Emma :)

P.S. I make sure that I set a weight on the machines which makes it PAINFUL to get to 12!

Replies

• epadmeister
    epadmeister Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    n...nobody? :(
  • r3ban1x
    r3ban1x Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If your strength sets are getting your heart rate and breathing up then you should log it. There's weight lifting and calesthenics listed under the "cardio" section but logging each exercise under "strength training" is pointless bc I don't think it calculates a calorie burn.
  • wolfie640
    wolfie640 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been whinging about the low cals MFP gives me for a heart pumping , 45 min , heavy lifting session......but I still log them (under cardio/weight lifting)

I still cant see how a 20 min leisurely bike ride ride can be worth twice the cals of a heavy lifting workout ?!
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I lift 3x a week and I never log it.

The only thing I log is food.

I don't know why people feel the need to complicate things every day by eating back exercise calories. I like to keep things simple.

As long as you're consistent with your exercise and eating habits then you will accomplish your goals.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

As long as you're consistent with your exercise and eating habits then you will accomplish your goals.

Correct.

If you have a regular lifting schedule then you can easily just not log it and work your "GROSS" cal intake instead. For anyone that exercises regularly, I MUCH prefer this method.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I use IIFYM to calculate my macros and caloric intake, I just use MFP to track it. IIFYM lets you consider exercise frequency and intensity to some degree.
  • TheMannon
    TheMannon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I used my HRM to get a gauge on it a few times. I don't log them but I factor it into my base MFP activity level. Its important if you do significant weight training that you have an idea how much you're burning. One way or another, your body will tell you. I made my adjustment because my body was telling me that I wasn't eating enough (i.e., i was feeling weak, especially on heavy days).
  • klumsykunoichi
    Options
    I only log my cardio and that's cos my heart monitor syncs with mfp, just don't feel the need to log strength training
  • sarahsamuels82
    sarahsamuels82 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't log the specifics, but i'll write something like '1 hour strength training at 300 cals' to give me more of a calorie allowance (as I eat more on workout days, so it works out all my macros for me too).