How do I 'eat to fit my macros'?

Options
Apologies for the n00b question, but in my experience of calorie counting (I've been on/off MFP in 2013 before I joined again today) all I have ever done is eat my meals, log them, and then eat dinner in accordance to the number of calories I have left. I never paid attention to the macro nutrients, so some days I would be way over the carbs, or way under the protein, but I would still be eating the allocated calories just fine.

I've heard of 'If It Fits Your Macros' but don't know how people are eating with macros in mind instead of calories. How does it work? A cute bunny for anyone who can help!

tumblr_mjqskgjBTq1s2ydlno1_250.gif

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    It's nearly the same as counting calories (since a gram of fat has a specific number of calories and a gram of carbs has a specific number of calories). But instead of eating 1600 calories or whatever, you eat x number of carbs, x number of protein and x number of fat grams. (Which in the end will equal 1600 calories, or whatever).
  • cosmicpeaches
    Options
    It's nearly the same as counting calories (since a gram of fat has a specific number of calories and a gram of carbs has a specific number of calories). But instead of eating 1600 calories or whatever, you eat x number of carbs, x number of protein and x number of fat grams. (Which in the end will equal 1600 calories, or whatever).

You can tell I'm no good at math, because that last sentence didn't occur to me at all. Thank you!!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    So for instance, the goal according to how I've set things up for myself would be to eat on my inactive days about

150 grams of carbs (4 cal each)
    150 grams of protein (4 cal each)
    33 grams of fat (9 cal each)

This equals 1497 calories per day. I hardly ever eat that much protein, so that's something I'm working on making a habit of.

So if I follow the IIFYM system, I can eat pizza, ice cream, bacon... whatever, just so long as my macros for the day stay in that range.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I like to preplan and log my day so I can see where I stand.

I always plan my meals around a protein, then add some fat and fill in with vegetables, fruit and starches. I'm usually close to what I've set my macros at.

Pre-logging is key for me.
  • cosmicpeaches
    Options
    I like to preplan and log my day so I can see where I stand.

I always plan my meals around a protein, then add some fat and fill in with vegetables, fruit and starches. I'm usually close to what I've set my macros at.

Pre-logging is key for me.

I think this is a good idea. I'll pre-log it from now on, it seems much more efficient than the way I'm doing things right now!
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thats 8 oz of protein right there!!!! J/k.

I have my calorie goal for the day.

Depending on how you plan on eating or diet your on.
    I know that I work best with lower carb so I aim for 60 percent protein/20 percent carb/20 percent fat

So all you have to . Do is look at nutritional content.
    For me this means I have to eat at least 100g of protein a day.
    I try to keep my carbs below 100g per day. And im not againsts fats because
    I know we need them and also that they provide a satiated feeling but I still keep them low....maybe around a tablespoon of EVOO.
    other than that I try to eat whole foods and limit processed. No. Sodas. No fast food. No pastas no rice. No bread.
    instead I would do something like zuchini noodles
    OR
    cauliflower mac n cheese.
    OR
    if I am really craving I will eat something but I control it measure it out and log it. Then I dont think on it or I will want more.
    but thats me.
    I hope some of this helped.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Not only are you trying to hit a calorie goal but also macro nutrient goals (protein, fat and carbs). Protein and fat are minimums, so you figure out how much of those you need, then you can fill in the rest of your calories with carbs or more fat or protein.

First you need to estimate your body fat percentage. This doesn't have to be exact. Lots of weight to lose? Guess 40%. Just a bit chubby, guess, 28%.

Something like this is good for estimates:
    http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/03/48/4b/03484b34b206fc464f32741d997436b0.jpg

Lets say you weigh 150lbs and have 25% body fat. Then your lean mass percentage is 75%.

So for protein:
    lean mass percentage = 1 - body fat percentage
    lean mass = lean mass percentage * body weight
    Minimum grams of protein = 0.8g*lean mass

Which with 25% body fat and 150lbs would be 90grams.

For Fat:
    Minimum grams fat = 0.3*total body weight.

Which would be 45grams.

So you need at least 90 grams of protein and 45 grams of fat (if you weigh 150lbs and have 25% body fat). As mentioned before each gram of protein has 4 calories, and fat 9, so that's 360 calories of protein, and 405 calories of fat, only 765 calories leaving you plenty of room for carbs and/or more protein or fat.
  • cosmicpeaches
    Options
    Thats 8 oz of protein right there!!!! J/k.

I have my calorie goal for the day.

Depending on how you plan on eating or diet your on.
    I know that I work best with lower carb so I aim for 60 percent protein/20 percent carb/20 percent fat

So all you have to . Do is look at nutritional content.
    For me this means I have to eat at least 100g of protein a day.
    I try to keep my carbs below 100g per day. And im not againsts fats because
    I know we need them and also that they provide a satiated feeling but I still keep them low....maybe around a tablespoon of EVOO.
    other than that I try to eat whole foods and limit processed. No. Sodas. No fast food. No pastas no rice. No bread.
    instead I would do something like zuchini noodles
    OR
    cauliflower mac n cheese.
    OR
    if I am really craving I will eat something but I control it measure it out and log it. Then I dont think on it or I will want more.
    but thats me.
    I hope some of this helped.

Thank you! Out of interest, are you doing Keto?