Paleoooo

Options
k so quick question.. how much protein and fat per lb of body weight are all you paleo-ers eating? I'm 5'2ish 113lbs and feel like I overeat my protein and fat by like more than double what's recommended. Idk why but I'm paranoid I'm over eating these 2 macros even though I know you're supposed to consume a lot of each to compensate...

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out some good macros, myself.
  • SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Typically the Paleo diet isn't about counting calories. Most just eat "high fat, low carb," which varies from person to person. There's not really a strict macro ratio to go for. Some Paleo eaters eat fruit and sweet potatoes every day, whereas others only have one sweet potato per week, and even others do not eat starches or fruits at all. It really depends on the person! You have to go with what your body is telling you. When I was Paleo I did not focus on counting calories. Then again, I'm not so good at listening to my body and I was still a chunky monkey:-)

Not to say Paleo doesn't work, my mom has great results. We did it for 3-4 years, she's still going with it, I am not. I just have issues with portion control no matter what diet I've been on, so I went with counting calories and it's worked for me much better. There are conflicting views on the macro ratio, but just tinker with it until you find what makes you feel best. Good luck! :-)

ETA: I did not focus on counting calories and therefore did not focus on my macro ratio. I'd also check out Marks Daily Apple, he has tons of articles that would probably really help you out.
  • fitpiglet24
    fitpiglet24 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    thanks! i'm not a calorie counter and I find myself actually trying to eat more so I don't lose weight but I could easily put away 2 lbs of fish in a day and feel like that may be too much?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open, so we can't see how much protein and fat you are eating. If you want to do paleo, do it. But don't do it if you think that it is somehow healthier. It excludes a lot of foods based on absolutely nothing, since our ancestors ate grains even back in the Paleolithic era. Eliminating whole food groups should only done (IMHO) if you have serious reactions to them, such as Celiacs or lactose intolerance.

Also wanted to add that you should definitely track while doing Paleo. I tried it for awhile and gained weight, because I was not tracking. It doesn't matter how you eat, if you overeat, you will gain weight. The body keeps a perfect count of what comes in and what goes out.
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Paleo isn't necessarily low carb, it just ends up being lower carb because you're supposed to avoid all grains and corn. It's a lot harder to eat a ton of carbs with sweet potatoes than with French bread or cake. However, I personally tend to binge on carbs/sweets (if you look at my diary for the last few days, that is totally obvious. I have fallen off the wagon and ate an entire pint of ice cream and a tube of marzipan on Saturday...ew.. I STILL feel terrible and bloated.)

My fats are set at about 60%, protein at 25%, and carbs at 15%. That comes out to about 0.83 g of fat/lb, 0.78 g protein/lb, and 0.47g carbs/lb of body weight. I feel more full when I eat more protein and fat, and butter and steak are delicious, so when I stick to it, I feel great. Honestly, SheGlows is right, though. Most Paleo advocates are more focused on being healthy and listening to your body than on calories or macros. I'm counting calories because like I said, I tend to binge, and I feel like I need to keep track of it so that I'm honest with myself about how dang much crap I'm eating.
  • SheGlows
    Options
    Well, supposedly since you're not supposed to count calories, in theory you're a-okay. However, I'd maybe weigh myself once per week or every other week just to keep tabs on it. If you go up in weight, it's an indicator that you need to decrease your intake and vice versa. If you're enjoying that 2 lbs of fish, keep going with it unless you see an unwanted change in weight. Another way to help maintain weight if you're afraid of losing is to slightly up your carbs (add a sweet potato here and there, maybe a piece of fruit)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    thanks! i'm not a calorie counter and I find myself actually trying to eat more so I don't lose weight but I could easily put away 2 lbs of fish in a day and feel like that may be too much?

its only too much if it means you're not eating in a deficit, regardless of what macros you're hitting.
  • SheGlows
    Options
    its only too much if it means you're not eating in a deficit, regardless of what macros you're hitting.

Also, this. I agree that you should be tracking as well. But if you're attempting to do it without tracking and just based on how you feel, there's no way to keep an account of your macros anyways
  • fitpiglet24
    fitpiglet24 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the input. I decided to try paleo for a while because i found out i have insulin resistance which is strange since I've never had an issue with weight and have generally ate healthy and have been active my whole life. but i noticed when i took grains, starches and fruit except for raspberries out of my diet, I felt a dramatic improvement in how I feel and my periods are more regular. I'm meeting with a naturopath soon because I would love to get this insulin thing resolved so i can encorporate some starches and fruit back into my diet. I like to lift and I know my body needs the replenishment but right now avoiding these particular foods are helping.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    i swear by it....i have lost 34 pounds in 5 weeks..
    im type 2 diabetic...my blood sugar is below normal now ...i have also cut my insulin i take in half.... 49 units a day down to 22 units a day....

please feel free to contact me if you want to

Bill