pack lunch ideas?

Options
abk1968
abk1968 Posts: 47 Member
I work shifts and need to take a pack lunch if working evenings

I'm sick to the back teath of sandwiches and not sure all the bread each day is doing my IBS much good

Need some inspection for packed meals no more than 700 cals

Replies

• angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You could take a home-made salad (if you want dressing take in separate container so it doesn't make the salad soggy) with cooked meats, fish or egg.

Pasta and rice salads are good too.

Cooked,cooled chicken drumstix or wings - you can spice them up with seasoning.

Hard-boiled eggs,

Try making a quiche using a pizza base mix instead of pastry, it's a lot less calories.

Vegetable sticks with a dip such as low fat hummus. You could add some melba toasts if veggies aren't filling enough.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I grill up some chicken and bring it with some kind of green veggie. I like my chicken and veggies cold, so I don't even heat mine up.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Try doing a bento style lunch. Have one or two main choice of proteins (fish, chicken, beef, eggs, Etc) and carbs (rice, pasta, etc) then fill every crevice of a lunch box with colorful fruits and vegetables ( lettuce, tomato, broccoli, cauliflower, snap peas, eggplant, blueberries, etc). You'd be surprised how much you can fill in a tiny box... It's a good way to limit calorie intake and increase your fruits/veggies intake too. I've started packing bento since last week and loving it quite a bit!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    From a convenience standpoint I pack a low calorie protein shake and an apple for my mid morning snacks. For lunch I have a 90 calories low carb wrap and fill it with chicken and either cheese or guacamole. I try not to do processed meats but will do some sliced turkey breast sometimes. The wrap ends up being about 260 calories. My afternoon snack is a handful of almonds. Not sure what you do for breakfast but I really load up after my workout with a 900 calorie bowl of oatmeal topped with fruit and nuts.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Try doing a bento style lunch. Have one or two main choice of proteins (fish, chicken, beef, eggs, Etc) and carbs (rice, pasta, etc) then fill every crevice of a lunch box with colorful fruits and vegetables ( lettuce, tomato, broccoli, cauliflower, snap peas, eggplant, blueberries, etc). You'd be surprised how much you can fill in a tiny box... It's a good way to limit calorie intake and increase your fruits/veggies intake too. I've started packing bento since last week and loving it quite a bit!

^^ this! We do a lot of egg and tuna salad, chopped cold meats or nuts in the main compartment, then tons of berries, diced fruit and veggies (we use bento picks if they're messy) and sometimes a sweet treat like dark chocolate chips to finish it off. Even things like turkey lettuce wraps will work or do a breakfast box with healthy sausages, a hard boiled egg and some fruit. Check google or Pinterest for Bento and you'll find a TON of resources :)
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Bump. I've been looking for sandwhich alternatives, too - thanks!
  • esheepie
    esheepie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Even though it is summer where I am I still do soup. I make a big pot every Sunday and dish it out in individual portions. Half goes into the fridge for the current week and the other half goes into the freezer for later weeks. I pull out some of the different soups I have made in prior weeks then to get a nice variety without a lot of extra work.

You could also do canned soup, but watch which ones you choose as most have way too much sodium.
  • lattanicole
    lattanicole Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I pack a lunch every day and HATE the boring old sandwich.

I went to the dollar store and picked up a whole bunch of Tupperware if you don't already have some because they are just a dollar :).

I pick a meal each week also and make it on Sunday night (or whatever night you prefer).

Last week I baked about 5 big chicken breasts in the oven @ 400 with some ranch seasoning and some chicken broth on the bottom that they could cook in (makes them sooooo good) I buy frozen veggies for sides like cauliflower and stuff and I will toss those in a little bit of olive oil and seasoning and bake those too @ 425 for about 20 min. Then make some rice or potatoes (you can make those in the microwave and msg me if you want to know how) for your carbs. Separate those out into five dishes and there you go! it just takes a little bit of time.

Another one I love is veggie fajita with black beans.

Sautee up some red, orange, and yellow peppers with mushrooms and onion (or whatever you like) put a little taco seasoning on it. Heat up some corn tortillas and black beans and separate them again and they are sooooo good.