squash

How do you eat it? I had it for the first time last night at a family members house but they pan fried it. It was delicious but I'm sure it wasn't very healthy haha. Hoping I can find another way to eat it that's just as tasty

Replies

• Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Anyway u want. If I use it in a salad I cut them paperthin raw.

Sauteed with a little EVOO

Pan fried/deep fried ....u already saw that one

I dont boil...unless its in a soup and then I cut a little thicker unless u like them pure mushy...

U ca bake also but u prob want to cut thinner

Whenever u cook dont forget to season
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Love squash but don't care for zucchini much. Seen a recipe where they bread in porkrinds and bake it ( they said it was low carbs) I'll send it to you.
    Also you can steam it, and a lot of people grill it.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Forgotten about eating it raw dipped in ranch. Sorry love my ranch. Needs to be fresh to eat it raw though.
  • Savlona
    Savlona Posts: 84 Member
    Presuming we're talking butternut squash or similar. They make great soup or if you cut them up, spray them with frylight and bake, thats good too.
    You could add chicken and other veg, maybe some chilli plus whatever seasoning you like to make an easy traybake to feed the family.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Depends on what kind of squash. I'm assuming since it was pan fried that you're talking about zucchini or summer squash. These are normally baked, fried or sauteed. If you can find a big enough zucchini, you can even stuff it! Zucchini and summer squash are also really good raw. I partially peel them (so they're striped) then dice them up and put them in salad (lettuce or pasta)

There is also spaghetti squash, butternut, buttercup, acorn, etc. Spaghetti squash is a bit different than the others - you can roast, microwave and I think even boil it but you usually cook it in the skin and then remove the meat. For the other winter squashes, they can also be roasted in the skin or they can be peeled and cubed then roasted, boiled or sauteed.

I love butternut because it can be peeled easily with a vegetable peeler. The others have much tougher skin so it's a pain to peel and dice them. Or you can just buy pre cut squash - either fresh from the produce section or frozen. I mostly boil butternut but it's also really good roasted or sauteed with some red bell pepper, onion and spices. Perfectly healthy if you just use a smidge of olive oil. I also used it when I make shepherd's pie, mixed half and half with white potato. Makes for a more interesting flavor.
  • fitpiglet24
    fitpiglet24 Posts: 44 Member
    spaghetti squash! poke some holes in it, pop it in the oven at 375 for an hour and 10, depending on the size and then cut it in havlf and scrap out the seeds ( i sautee or bake the seeds with some salt and O.O.) It's delish!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    grilled with a little spray butter and onions, very good and practically no calories, win, win
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    I love squash. I have been eating a lot of it out of the garden this summer so far.
    no matter the type, cut it into discs or squares, toss in e.v.o.o., some salt, pepper and any other herbs/seasoning you want. spread on greased (i used Pam) cooking sheet and bake for 15 min on 375. usually is enough for numerous meals. i mix mine with quinoa to make it last longer and give me some grains too.
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Slice zucchini and yellow squash in thin lengthwise strips and use in place of noodles in lasagna. Yum! Also, if you're in a pinch for a vegetable side, you can just slice it and microwave...
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Acorn squash can be baked, cut in half, and stuffed with beans and rice for a pretty main dish.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Love squash, cooked in any way.

I eat them like loaded baked potatos, or use a spiralizer and use them as 'pasty' and top them with any sort of pasta sauce (I like creamy lemon salmon, or just standard tomato/meat). Or I'll make a stir-fry (if you have a good pan, you don't actually need much/any oil). Or cut them up, and grill them on BBQ sticks with shrimp or chicken. Or slice them thin, and add to cous-cous or pasta salads.

Yum, squahs :D
  • JoMoMOMx3
    JoMoMOMx3 Posts: 77
    It wasn't spaghetti squash, I've cooked that before. This was smaller. Yellow. Ugh I wish I knew what kind it was. I'd known itbifni seen it though.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    might be the yellow summer squash- looks like zucchini- they are pretty much the same thing- the yellow tends to be a little softer than the green but I like them both equally.

I like mine sauteed or roasted honestly- I will eat them raw- but mostly I like them with garlic salt and some bacon grease!