Should I run still?

Options
I've posted before. Long story short-- I lost my period about 9 months ago due to my unhealthy lifestyle. I wasn't eating and I was exercising 3+ hours a day. I'm 5'5'' and 110 lbs right now. My lowest was 107. I am advised that I need to be eating 2000-2500 calories a day from my doctor. I am aiming for 2000 and this is extremely difficult for me. I lift weights 4 days a week now since my doctor said to cut back. My question is, I'd like to run or do a zumba class a few days a week. Is this a good idea since i'm struggling to reach 2000 calories each day?

Replies

• fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor say? Follow his/her advice.
  • ReaganP13
    ReaganP13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I agree that this is an issue that will be best handled by asking your doc. That being said, if you do decide to run, and are already struggling to get your doctor-instructed amount of calories in, you will need to eat even more and take in more calories to make up for the ones you burn running. It might just make things harder for you.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I've never been in your situation, but I can imagine that it must be really hard. On the one hand: you want to be healthier and are cutting down your exercise and upping your calories, but on the other hand: I would imagine it extremely difficult to suddenly be eating more and moving less.

My suggestion would be to ask your doctor- but to ask about walking instead of running. You'll still be moving and doing cardio- so mentally you'll feel like you've worked out, but its not nearly as many calories burned so it won't put you at a huge deficit.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend adding to what your already doing until you learn to eat more!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Identify your favorite kind of ice cream
    Step 2: Purchase said ice cream
    Step 3: Eat 2 servings per night
    Step 4: Repeat, every night
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Exercise is more than just a methodology for losing weight...
  • MsMojo_13
    MsMojo_13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    By all means, follow your doctor's advice, however if you do run, make sure that you track your calories so that you can replace them.

I'm a runner and for me, running is more about therapy than it is exercise. However, we can't fail to recognize that it is exercise and we have to account for it in our totals. I feel the same way about Zumba (although I'm much better at moving in one direction i.e running, than I am dancing) but it's a release of stress.

Talk to your doctor and if it's okay, then make sure that you increase your calories to match those burned.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What does your doctor say? Follow his/her advice.

This. :flowerforyou: Sending hugs, though. You CAN get and stay healthy. Just make sure you're following medical advice so you don't do more harm to yourself.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Identify your favorite kind of ice cream
    Step 2: Purchase said ice cream
    Step 3: Eat 2 servings per night
    Step 4: Repeat, every night

If only it were as easy as this, no one would die of an eating disorder. My experience was that I could only do one dance class per week. I also drank Ensure or Boost or whole milk to get my calories up. It's easier to drink them than eat them. I did treat myself to a milkshake on dance days. BUT I am a recovered bulimic, not a doctor or nutritionist. Ask your doctor what is okay for you.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Do if you're enjoying it. Do you use shakes? When I need a lot of calories but am not feeling hungry I find them very handy. 400ml whole milk, 100g of instant oats and 50g of any whey powder will give you 850 calories and you'll barely notice it, it's not like having to chew and stomach solid foods.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't if you're struggling to eat 2000. If you're going to do it, you should probably eat back what you burn.

See what your doc says though, it's rubbish to give up something you enjoy.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    As has been said - ask your doctor. I'd also ask - why do you want to run and do Zumba? Is it to burn calories or for fitness/fun?
  • jessicalifts
    jessicalifts Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Talk to doc. Though I don't have a history with eating disorders, I've been very small all my life. I am trying to gain weight and am also struggling to take in enough calories. I like running, but I am prioritizing my lifting right now so I have decided I am on a running hiatus (I also cyclo commute and I teach cardio classes). Good luck! Cardio is generally important, and your healthcare provider can help you decide how much to add in without messing up your intake and sabotaging your goals.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I feel better when I"m active and I think a lot of people do as well.

If stress is an issue for you, you might want to consider something like one of the gentler forms of yoga..it gives you that stress release, movement and if you do it in a group, then group support.
  • redsk
    redsk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You might want to look at Overeater's Anonymous as they provide a platform for people with eating disorders to talk. It sounds like your exercise is contributing to the negative cycle. If you don't think you have eating disorder, then I guess start eating with the sole purpose of fueling your runs whilst maintaining your weight.

Like everyone else seems to have advised - seek advice from your doctor. Yoga sounds like a better alternative as well.