Hi I'm New Here....

Options
Hi my name is Kristin and I just finished or struggled through my first week with my fitness pal. The app is easy to use and document but I'm confused about the calorie intake they suggest. I weigh 283 lbs and at first I set it to lose one pound a week just to get started and they set me up with 2300 calories intake a day. I changed my mind for this week to lose 1.5 a week and they set me up with 1800 calories intake. I just want to make sure I'm its correct for my weight because I know some people say the calorie intake they suggest is incorrect. Its difficult because I live with my family who loves junk food and sugar. I know i have a sugar problem. My question is what do yall turn to for a sugar substitute or a salty snack thats not to bad. I was always really skinny who ate what I wanted until I started gaining weight from my thyroid dying. My doctors cant seem to get the meds right so I know the weight is from that as well as my insulin resistance and the fact that I'm always hungry especially at night. Its like a never ending cycle. I consistently eat at night before bed and I dont know how to stop. I was just wondering if any one has been in my place and has any ideas of what I can do or any words of encouragement?

Thanks so much

Kristin

P.S. also feel free to add me as friend :)

Replies

• aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristin. The key to salty snacks and sweets is portion control. Do not buy large portions. Buy one-ounce bags of chips, miniature-size candy bars, etc. It is best to buy automatically portion-controlled food products only, in fact. Such as, the individual microwaveable containers of Minute Rice. You will have to try out a calorie goal and monitor your progress to determine what works for you, because eveyone's metabolism is different. Count every single calorie. I once was 79 pounds heavier than I am now, when I was in my late 30s. Expect to be hungry-- it is unavoidable-- but it is worth it. Reward yourself frequently with nonfood items-- whatever you enjoy, whether music, cosmetics, jewelry, books, perfume-- even something as small as a bottle of nail polish or a magazine can be a treat to help you stick to your diet plan. Always keep in mind that you are in complete control of that number on the scale. Signing off now-- my phone is getting ready to run out of battery-- the very best of luck to you on your diet!
  • texas_state11
    texas_state11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for your reply. I definitely try your ideas. anything can help
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Lots of great info in this blog along with links to even more great info:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Hi Kristin. The key to salty snacks and sweets is portion control. Do not buy large portions. Buy one-ounce bags of chips, miniature-size candy bars, etc. It is best to buy automatically portion-controlled food products only, in fact. Such as, the individual microwaveable containers of Minute Rice. You will have to try out a calorie goal and monitor your progress to determine what works for you, because eveyone's metabolism is different. Count every single calorie. I once was 79 pounds heavier than I am now, when I was in my late 30s. Expect to be hungry-- it is unavoidable-- but it is worth it. Reward yourself frequently with nonfood items-- whatever you enjoy, whether music, cosmetics, jewelry, books, perfume-- even something as small as a bottle of nail polish or a magazine can be a treat to help you stick to your diet plan. Always keep in mind that you are in complete control of that number on the scale. Signing off now-- my phone is getting ready to run out of battery-- the very best of luck to you on your diet!

OP(Kristin) - I agree with everything here but expecting to be hungry because it's unavoidable. My calorie goal is 1680 a day. I eat more if I exercise and I haven't been hungry.
  • Jujubees813
    Jujubees813 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    For sweet cravings I've taken to fruit (fresh or freeze dried), a stick of gum, or those whole fruit Popsicles. For salty I eat those sweet potato and beet chips, unsalted nuts (which my brain hasn't seemed to catch up on), or peanut butter (which helps with salt and sugar cravings!!) I found nu-salt (I think that's what it's called) to put on my food, and Mrs Dash. I have like 4 different flavors. Good luck!