Should I buy a bike?

Options
Veil5577
Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
Just wondering what you all think...

I bought an indoor stationary bike last Christmas, and I'll be honest, it's mostly collected dust. This is partly due to my time schedule (I work two jobs) and the fact that when I do have time I can't get motivated to get on it.

I'm a big outdoor enthusiast and what I really want to do is ride a bike outdoors. I know I would like that a lot more and I am hoping that if I do that for the summer and most of the fall it will help me get on the stationary bike once cold weather hits.

I have found that riding a stationary bike or walking on a treadmill indoors is just boring.. I'd rather walk or ride for real. There is no couch outdoors to flop on after you've quit... after you've walked or ridden so far outdoors you can't stop when you want to quit because you still have to get home.

My finances are really really tight right now, but my 44th birthday is coming up and I found a bike online at Wal Mart for about 50 bucks. Can't afford more than that. I think this would be a good birthday gift to myself; think it's a good idea? It's about the only exercise I can do that won't hurt my already damaged knees or ankles.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    id do it, i just bought a new bike that was also on sale about a month ago, definitely a good purchase. i've used it a fair amount so far, and will even moreso when i move into the city come september
  • hopper602
    hopper602 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    as a biker I say DO IT
  • all4rescue
    all4rescue Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love my outdoor bike, I also have an indoor bike that I use for bad weather but I prefer outside so much better! Time goes so much faster outside. Our area is really hilly so I get a better work out outside also
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself.

I love to ride outside and go places, albeit I'm slow. But I put my bike on a trainer, and though it's still the same thing basically as riding 'in real life' it feels so dead to be sitting on a stationary!

So if you think you might even use it once a week - do it! There are so many good reasons to get on a bike!

Happy birthday!
  • ctperdant
    ctperdant Posts: 19
    Options
    There are always lots of used bikes around. I bought a basic 10 speed for $100 many years ago and still use it from time to time, though mainly I ride a newer hybrid. Check out Craig's List or any other classifieds where you are!
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Thanks for your input guys.. I'm gonna do it!
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Don't buy the Walmart bike. Check Craigslist for a used "bike store" brand. The cheap ones really are more trouble than they're worth.

When you find a used one then Google the brand to see what people are saying.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I love biking outdoors, but last time I had a cheap bike, I rarely rode it and it ended up rusting out in my carport at my last home. I borrowed a pregnant friend's good (Gary Fisher) bike one summer, and loved that so much, I immediately went out and got myself one at at bike shop. Since buying a higher-end bike, I ride it ALL the time!

I would really suggest trying to get a better bike, even if you scour craigslist for a used one.
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    Yes!!! If you love the outdoors. You'll be more inclined to use your bike and use it for future adventures! Sounds like a great idea.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I thought this was for a motorcycle bike, which then I would say "hell yes". But it's not :ohwell:
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'd be wary of bikes purchased from Walmart, I've never had good luck with a single bike that I have bought there. All of them fell apart in less than a years time. :sad:

But check out craigslist, you might have a better chance a scoring a better bike from there for a better price.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    You can also look for second hand bikes.

I say, buy a bike if you want one and can afford one. And will USE ONE (most important - otherwise even $50 is a WASTE of money).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    +1 on avoiding big box stores.....go for the best quality you can afford (buying used can be a great way to go)
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Do it!! I am all about riding my bike outside-- So much better than inside.

Craigslist is a great way to find decently priced, GOOD bikes. Probably better than a new one you'd get at the store for $50.
  • essa78
    essa78 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    BUY A BIKE, BUY A BIKE, BUY A BIKE!!!! Check out Craig's List though, I have 3 bikes and they all came from there and they were all under $150, even my super awesome fancy carbon fiber Trek Multitrack. Bikes are the most fun I've ever, EVER! had exercising :love:

The husby recommends going to BikeForums.net
    You will find a great community that will help you buy, maintain and keep pedaling your little butt off. Happy trails!
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    To bike or not to Bike, there is no question. Do it!! I concur with everyone who has said get on Craigslist. You'll get more bang for your buck with a used bike.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    the answer to this question is always YES.
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Double your Craigslist usage - sell that dust collecting stationary bike on there and then use that to finance your Craigslist bike purchase.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I bought a bike on lay a way 2 months ago and it one of the best purchases I ever made, so much FUN! Warning: riding a stationary bike is not good prep for riding a real bike outside, you feel the real bike ride in many more places! Enjoy!