*You've earned 661 extra calories from exercise today

Options
jofjltncb6
jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
And all I've done is walk ~900 steps so far today. Have had fitbit and MFP synced for a couple of years now without having this problem. What am I missing?
This is how we calculate your calorie adjustment:

Fitbit Calories Burned
Full Day Projection
(Based on 1733 calories burned as of 10:28 am) 3117
MyFitnessPal Calories Burned
Fitbit Calorie Adjustment

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    let me rephrase that...are you currently many pound overweight which could account for your increased calorie burn? Or have you taken any illegal or otherwise heartrate accelerators?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on?

:laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    How fat are you?

How fat would I need to be to have that kind of burn from walking from the parking garage to my office?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Try unplugging it, and plugging it back in.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    How fat are you?

How fat would I need to be to have that kind of burn from walking from the parking garage to my office?

Bout Treefiddy
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't add speed to your morning coffee.

Does it need new batteries?
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I believe this just demonstrates how incredibly efficient you are. I'd go ahead and eat that pan of cinnamon rolls, just so you don't go into starvation mode.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I believe this just demonstrates how incredibly efficient you are. I'd go ahead and eat that pan of cinnamon rolls, just so you don't go into starvation mode.

Finally!

Someone with some *real* advice that isn't mean and snarky and useless.

Thank you for actually reading and understanding my post and providing a meaningful response that actually makes sense.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    clearly you've worked hard.

have a beer with the full pan of cinnamon rolls.
  • SHHitsKaty
    SHHitsKaty Posts: 301
    Options
    And this my friend is why a FitBit is so unreliable and a total waste of money.
  • lokepa
    lokepa Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    How fat are you?

Bout Treefiddy

LMAO!
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fitbit but I do the iOS step features until I can afford something better. Sometimes my steps don't always like to sync and I have to restart the app. Maybe you can just turn it back on and then off? Sometimes things simply don't like to work :(
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

No, no, NO! Why on earth would we want to do THAT? It's CICO-right? So more out = more lost = more WIN! I say make sure to eat ANOTHER 661 calories LESS (or heck, eat nothing), so you can lose it FASTER than everyone else. Starvation mode is a MYTH! Look at how skinny those people living in famine are! Geez, first world problems, y'all!

And, BTW, have you not yet grown your chloroplasts? Air and light diet, baby!
  • jillybean_75
    jillybean_75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think it is estimating what your full day calorie burn will be (TDEE) based on where you are at that moment (1700 calories burned by 10:30 AM). So if MFP is set based on your goals for you to burn 24xx calories a day, they add in the difference 661. You will need to readjust it throughout the day.

I don't have a FitBit, but I have a BodyMedia fit and I find that it works the same way. I have a negative balance first thing in the morning because it is estimating for me at the beginning of the day when it syncs.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    And this my friend is why a FitBit is so unreliable and a total waste of money.

I've used it for over two years to predictably control my weight in both directions seemingly at will. I'm not quite ready to call this one day blip (for which there may yet be a perfectly reasonable explanation) justification for not having invested the initial <$100.

Perhaps fitbit adjusted my assumed TDEE burn rate given my higher-than-normal intake during the past month with a less-than-previously-expected increase in weight.

Just a theory.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You must have been walking on a mini-trampoline.

Don't reward yourself with food - buy some new leg-warmers.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I had a burn like that once. MFP was giving me a 900 or so calorie credit at the end of the day (no real exercise that day, didn't expect much, if any, adjustment). Looked at my Fitbit dashboard, and it showed that I had burned about that much in about an hour span that afternoon. I'm 100% sure I was actually napping during that hour. Dr. Oz told me that getting extra sleep is good for weight loss, so I just figured my Fitbit is really really smart and knew how much good I was doing for my body during that nap, and ate some nachos. (Actually, I just overwrote the weirdo calorie burn and went about my business, but that's no fun. Hasn't happened before or since, and I've had my accounts synced since May 2012.)
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I think it is estimating what your full day calorie burn will be (TDEE) based on where you are at that moment (1700 calories burned by 10:30 AM). So if MFP is set based on your goals for you to burn 24xx calories a day, they add in the difference 661. You will need to readjust it throughout the day.

I don't have a FitBit, but I have a BodyMedia fit and I find that it works the same way. I have a negative balance first thing in the morning because it is estimating for me at the beginning of the day when it syncs.

Sure, that's the general concept...however, I've had it synced w/ MFP for over two years and have never seen this kind of early adjustment. I've seen an early adjustment several times before, when I was up and active earlier than usual (or even up and active past midnight the night before like I was last night), but never at this magnitude. And so far this morning, the bulk of my activity was walking from the parking garage to my office, something I do nearly ever weekday.